Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,999,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The sworn statement of the slave himself sweety?
That claim was orignally put in an Abolitionist newspaper (which at times blew things out of proportion) but he never names these witnesses. I want secondary accounts (from other whites or blacks who saw this) that can confirm this happening.

And the delayed manumission was (as wikipedia states) because alot of the legal jumbo involved needed sorted with Custis' and Lee's agents and that the Battle of Cheat Mountain kinda offset Lee being there, he had a war to run.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM

40,938 posts, read 49,057,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I asked on another thread why confederates don't want the Alamo destroyed. Latinos don't flock there like a shrine & get upset with graffiti either.
The Alamo had nothing to do with the Civil War or the Confederacy. It is more in line with with the American Revolution and the birth of a new nation.

If I recall correctly there were quite a few Texicans who died at the Alamo. You do know TX was a country before it was a state ?

There are many Hispanic named cities, counties and towns in TX, many are named after Hispanics who fought for TX independence from Mexico. I have very close ties to the Hispanic community and the ones who know their heritage show a lot of respect for the Alamo.

The Alamo is a pretty sacred symbol of people who fight for what they believe in and their freedom against great odds. I believe most cultures in TX appreciate it's history, what it stands for in our heritage and would never purposely deface or damage the building.

I was wrong, it is similar to the Confederacy and the American Revolution.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:06 PM

900 posts, read 671,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Study things more carefully. Everyone in the South except for a minority of smugglers and criminals, were at that point in time, starving. The Confederate army was starving, the civilians were starving. There was simply not enough food for everyone.

Secondly, the Confederates, knowing the situation, offered to Lincoln to do a prisoner exchange to stop it. Lincoln, knowing full well the consequences, refused it.

Thirdly, the Union did the same to Confederate prisoners. And the Union had no excuses for it, as the Union had access to enough food to feed them.
Spirited defense of war criminals. But then what else could I expect? Were the guards at Andersonville starving to death? I'm guessing not. How about the war criminal Bedford Forest? Was he starving to death when his men murdered black union Prisoners of War?

Yes, the South was a real paradise, populated by nothing but southern gentlemen.

They did execute the war criminal in charge of Andersonville after the war. They should have also executed Forest and every other Reb guilty of war crimes.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I should not even take the bait and reply, but it's a Sunday afternoon and I have some time on my hands.

Do you accuse everyone you disagree with of being involved with the Klan? You have some sharp debating skills..
Anybody who defends the Secessionists and slavery proponents, or who thinks erecting monuments to them is somehow noble, is part of the Klan. In spirit if not in name.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,568,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Anybody who defends the Secessionists and slavery proponents, or who thinks erecting monuments to them is somehow noble, is part of the Klan. In spirit if not in name.

*yawns* Did you say something, Angus? ; As it is, I gotta eat supper and hit the sack, soon. Maybe I might find time to reply to your ranting and raving another time. As it is, good night and see ya!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:17 PM

Don't bother, Reb. Frankly your answers are so predictable I probably wouldn't read it anyway.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,999,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Don't bother, Reb. Frankly your answers are so predictable I probably wouldn't read it anyway.
We have gone over, and over, and over again on this Angus.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:39 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,448,649 times
Quote:
Anyway, I know I am right & look forward going into the Marines because I can do boot camp standing on my head!
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, rlchurch. I was exaggerating a little bit about boot camp but I know I can get through boot without too many problems. My gym teacher told me that I am stronger than the typical kid my age.
Quote:
Will boot be like this? Because I know my eardrums will be shattered but it looks great to me.
Quote:
You think I am scared? I look forward to the challenge. I like to do exercises btw.
these kinds of statements tell those of us that have actually been through usmc boot camp that you are not ready for it at all.

i'll tell you again since you missed it the first time: boot camp is not a physical challenge. it is a mental challenge. your bravado and ego are not going to get you through it.

if you want any more in depth advice than that, read my last post here.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM

958 posts, read 1,102,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Hey, those are my ancestors you're calling disgusting, Pal.

The only thing disgusting is your close-minded attitude toward those who died for something they believed in at the time.
Glad you had the nerve to say that.
Nothing anti American about the CSA.
What would have been done if it was a NEGRO display with I hate blacks painted on it ?
As much as they try, as much as they Lie. None has ever erased the STARS and BARS. Before you libs go off half cocked, it has been proved the war was not about Race.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,362,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
these kinds of statements tell those of us that have actually been through usmc boot camp that you are not ready for it at all.

i'll tell you again since you missed it the first time: boot camp is not a physical challenge. it is a mental challenge. your bravado and ego are not going to get you through it.

if you want any more in depth advice than that, read my last post here.
Thanks but you don't have to lecture me? Once we were driving in the mts during a bad rainstorm & our car got hit by rocks during a landslide. My sister & even an older brother started crying but I didn't break under the pressure. I know the drill sargent isn't going to kill me so I am not afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.