Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Confederate Monuments Be Torn Down?
Yes 17 10.30%
No 148 89.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No one said we should forget our history, but we shouldn't be celebrating certain portions of our history as a good thing.
When I visit historic places in the south - two things come to mind. First, it was not "that" long ago. Second - look how far we have come from then. I think most, myself included, view the monuments of the confederacy with reflection, not celebration.

Should Confederate Monuments be Torn Down? What about Confederate Museums? I enjoy my yearly visit to the Beauvoir Jefferson Davis Home and Presidential Library

Last edited by pollyrobin; 12-16-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The war was started because of unconstitutional acts against the southern states.

Kinda like what is happening right now in this nation.
"Nothing fills me with deeper sadness
than to see a Southerner apologizing
for the defense we made of our
Inheritance."
Jefferson Davis

Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
When I visit historic places in the south - two things come to mind. First, it was not "that" long ago. Second - look how far we have come from then. I think most, myself included, view the monuments of the confederacy with reflection, not celebration.

Should Confederate Monuments be Torn Down? What about Confederate Museums? I enjoy my yearly visit to the Beauvoir Jefferson Davis Home and Presidential Library
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
"Nothing fills me with deeper sadness
than to see a Southerner apologizing
for the defense we made of our
Inheritance."
Jefferson Davis
Nice posts and great quote! I always wanted to see Jeff Davis' home too.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 PM

900 posts, read 673,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You do not listen to facts or reason, we showed you that it wasn't ONLY over slavery but there were honorable attributes to the south's cause.

You don't seem to see that, and you have proven Georgia frog's point, if they disagree with you then they can't be right.

You don't seem to get it.
What you don't get is that it doesn't matter whether there were any other causes. Slavery trumps them all. The South went to war to preserve slavery, after the war they instituted Jim Crow laws to preserve the 'white supremacy', and inforced those laws with terror and intimidation. Oh yeah, and then they erected monuments to memorialize it.

It's a shameful and disgusting history that will eventually be placed where it belongs - with all of the other shameful periods in human history.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,830 times
I'm a Yankee born and bred - grew up in the Land of Lincoln, now living in NY. I find Civil War history fascinating and IMO it would be a travesty to tear down Confederate memorials. It's an important part of history and American culture. It would be so hypocritical. Yes, slavery was an evil institution. But not every Southerner was a slave-owner; they were just fighting for their way of life. And if you want to be totally PC, what about the Native Americans, who were practically eradicated by our pioneer ancestors? These things happened, and they're a part of our history.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Yes, they should all be torn down and the confederate flag forever banned. These are symbols of a shameful period in this country's history and a very, very repulsive and vile segment of this society.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Try building a memorial to Custer today.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
I'm a Yankee born and bred - grew up in the Land of Lincoln, now living in NY. I find Civil War history fascinating and IMO it would be a travesty to tear down Confederate memorials. It's an important part of history and American culture. It would be so hypocritical. Yes, slavery was an evil institution. But not every Southerner was a slave-owner; they were just fighting for their way of life. And if you want to be totally PC, what about the Native Americans, who were practically eradicated by our pioneer ancestors? These things happened, and they're a part of our history.

Really 'unfortunate' that there way of life included the buying, selling, raping, and torturing of blacks. But hey, let's honor that!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Coming from somebody with your grasp of history, that's funny. Tell us once again how America won the Battle of Stalingrad and the Battle of Kursk and killed 8 our of every 10 German soldiers killed during the Second World War.

But then there's that Aryan affinity with the Nazis, right?
I was being sarcastic. Please do point out a person here who is defending slavery. In your posts, you claim everyone here is defending slavery, yet when I turn the tables on you and claim that you support the USSR's atrocities when you made no such claim it was giving you a taste of your own medicine. You need to flex that intellectual muscle of yours and realize your own hypocrisy before embarrassing yourself any further...

Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Yes, they should all be torn down and the confederate flag forever banned. These are symbols of a shameful period in this country's history and a very, very repulsive and vile segment of this society.
Now from what I know liberalism is supposed to mean tolerance for all viewpoints and accepting ways of life that are not your own, and yet assert your first ammendment rights for your beliefs.

Would it be hypocritical to demand that all symbols that you and your like don't like need banned (violating the first ammendment) or destroyed (which could nullify a whole culture) doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of your world viewpoint Alexus? Because there are many things that I see in liberal ideologies that I think are completley vile and repulsive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies