Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Confederate Monuments Be Torn Down?
Yes 17 10.30%
No 148 89.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
How come you get away with calling people names & don't get into trouble? But I'm not a rat so go ahead because you are showing ignorance most of the time [I'll probably get into trouble for what I just wrote but I don't care!
Because I don't attack the person, I attack the argument, I don't insult people.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Because I don't attack the person, I attack the argument, I don't insult people.
Right, desert kid, you want us to fall down in laughter? I don't understand how the rules only seem to apply to some posters?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Right, desert kid, you want us to fall down in laughter? I don't understand how the rules only seem to apply to some posters?
Because I don't threaten to burn down historical monuments, and I don't throw around ad homnem's like halloween candy, thats why.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Because I don't threaten to burn down historical monuments, and I don't throw around ad homnem's like halloween candy, thats why.
What?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
What?
Ugh, you know what I mean, throw around insults in attempts at character assassination, you have made a good sport at it.

Why can't you realize that there were many causes to the Civil War, that not all Confederates were bad, and that there are some (if not many) honorable reasons to their cause. Why would you burn down a Monument built by states to honor their Civil War/Confederate ancestors only to potentially threaten your chances of joining the USMC. It's MADNESS!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
They are a part of our history. Good or bad, you should never ignore or destroy a part of history that will teach current and future generations something. Like them or dislike them, respect them for what they are, a history lesson.
Very true.

Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it

Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
How come you get away with calling people names & don't get into trouble? But I'm not a rat so go ahead because you are showing ignorance most of the time [I'll probably get into trouble for what I just wrote but I don't care!
Quote:
Maybe because this board was created in Arizona?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Ugh, you know what I mean, throw around insults in attempts at character assassination, you have made a good sport at it.

Why can't you realize that there were many causes to the Civil War, that not all Confederates were bad, and that there are some (if not many) honorable reasons to their cause. Why would you burn down a Monument built by states to honor their Civil War/Confederate ancestors only to potentially threaten your chances of joining the USMC. It's MADNESS!
But all people talk about is their opinion. The question is "should confederate monuments be torn down?" I say yes and how they are an insult to other Americans. What makes Americans angry is that nobody else insults the nation like the confederates do? That's why comparison to nazis & kkk are what most people think of the Confederate cause. If I knew I was hurting someone's feelings I would stop doing it immediately. Confederates are misfits quite honestly. I wish I could be more friendly w/ you guys but what you represent is wrong.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
But all people talk about is their opinion. The question is "should confederate monuments be torn down?" I say yes and how they are an insult to other Americans. What makes Americans angry is that nobody else insults the nation like the confederates do? That's why comparison to nazis & kkk are what most people think of the Confederate cause. If I knew I was hurting someone's feelings I would stop doing it immediately. Confederates are misfits quite honestly. I wish I could be more friendly w/ you guys but what you represent is wrong.
Those monuments are a part of history. Good, bad, ugly or indifferent------------I have a real problem destroying something because it is not 'politically correct'

In the interest of full disclosure here: many of my direct ancestors fought in the Civil War (a lot of my mother's people were out of Orange, Va. [Terrill, Daniel, Jackson, etc.]) on probably the Confederate side. That stated: I would have sided with the North to keep the USA together.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Those monuments are a part of history. Good, bad, ugly or indifferent------------I have a real problem destroying something because it is not 'politically correct'

In the interest of full disclosure here: many of my direct ancestors fought in the Civil War (a lot of my mother's people were out of Orange, Va. [Terrill, Daniel, Jackson, etc.]) on probably the Confederate side. That stated: I would have sided with the North to keep the USA together.
If I were alive back then (and assuming whatever state I was in, but say I was in Tennessee or Mississippi) I would have fought for the Confederacy, but only because my state was in it.

But that will never happen, I will clench to my Battle flag (on my wall) proudly, for my heritage and ancestry from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies