Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Confederate Monuments Be Torn Down?
Yes 17 10.30%
No 148 89.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I suspect Angus is referring to the way the fierce independents in Alaska somehow manage to end up with $1.80 from the federal government for each dollar they put in.
Thats kinda how it works when the federal government buys products (i.e. oil) from a state (i.e. Alaska) in such staggering amounts, the ONLY possible outcome is more money going into the state than taken out..

Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I would agree if the monuments weren't viewed as a celebration and appreciation for the Confederacy.
Do you celebrate and appreciate them as such? I, for one, do not. These men fought and died for something they believed in, no matter how wrong we view it. To eliminate the monuments is to diminish that portion of our collective history.

It was a terrible, dark place in the early history of our nation. We can't go about selectively purging portions of history because someone finds it wrong. Didn't the Soviets do that? I recall reading about the Taliban which destroyed ancient statues in Afghanistan because of what they represented.

The entire south does not celebrate the Confederacy. Granted, there are some folks who feel the wrong side won, but they are a minority.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
It would be a pleasure to be one of the first to tear down the confederate monuments. First all the black bros get their turn w/ latinos second!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
I notice no defense of his ante-bellum occupation, nor of the war crimes he committed at Fort Pillow.

And nothing changes the fact that he was the first Imperial Wizard of the KKK. An altogether despicable human being, so it's not surprising that he's a hero of the 'old South'.
Lots of Confederate POW's were murdered by the Union, if you want to get into that...historians still debate what really happened with Fort Pillow...it's a he said, he said issue. According to Confederate witnesses, the Union soldiers had not surrendered, had kept their weapons, and some were still turning firing at times, and Forrest begged them to surrender. According to Union witnesses, they had surrendered and were simply being killed. You can't take either side without a grain of salt on such matters.

Forrest was born into a very poor family. He did what was available to him to make a living. FWIW, you can't judge people of the past by present standards. Every well known figure in history would be condemned if that were the case.

There is no proof Forrest was in fact the Imperial Wizard of the KKK, and it is a fact that he actively opposed the violence once it escalated and worked to end the KKK.

Forrest's 1875 speech to the Jubilee of Pole Bearers gives a more accurate picture of his views on race relations: Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old 12-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Ahh...Alaska. A state bought and paid for by the Federal Government. A state that only exists because of money poured into it by the Federal Government, and a state that wouldn't exist without the Federal Government.

That being said, if they want to leave - go. Just make sure you have a strong military alliance with the United States when the Russians decide to take you back. I'm sure all 600,000 of you can put up a spirited defense.
The feds had no legitimate title to Alaska in actuality. The Natives never relinquished title to the U.S. government until well after statehood. Some still have not.

The feds retained under Carter about 2/3 of the land, which severely hinders economic growth in the state. That nearly tipped things towards secession, along with their practice of burning people out of their homes (literally, sometimes in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere...), fining anyone who so much as steps on a twig in NPS lands for thousands, blocking private rescues costing people's lives at times, among other things. They have terribly mismanaged resources too, including timber (research the Tongass National Forest), wildlife, etc. Furthermore, most federal money going to Alaska, goes to federal agencies, the military, etc. The feds are what keeps Alaska from being one of the most powerful countries in the world.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
No..like it or not they are part of our history and should not be torn down..some of the battlefields that are in border states would look silly with the Confederate monuments removed and just the Union ones remaining

Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Absolute 100% "South's Gonna Rise Again' Revisionist History. It's stuff that's been invented by latter day southerners in an attempt to justify the unjustifiable - a secession and a war for the right to buy, sell, rape, and murder other human beings without fear of consequences.

It may work with unreconstructed rebels. It doesn't work with anybody else.
Prove it...you constantly repeat the tired Lincoln version of history, yet the facts I posted are true about taxation, etc. Have you ever seen what those saintly northern industrialists did to people all the while condemning the South?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM

292 posts, read 543,929 times
The Confederate flag does NOT mean racism. I have one and am PROUD to fly it. Someone in Tampa is flying the biggest Confederate flag in the world, or so they claim that.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 PM

71 posts, read 50,727 times
To tear down any monument that is historical is no different than what the taliban did to the old statues of Buddah by blowing them up. It is terrorism of historc monuments. The confederacy was not just about slavry, after all anyone with half a brian that has looked into the history knows that Jefferson owned slaves, and the white house was built with slave labor. Even those who lost family in germany for fighting for their home land should not be stopped from putting up a monument to memorialze a lost family member in the war. The history of the civil war is a very interesting thing and tearing down a monument would do exactly what? Nothing, do we make the posesion of confederate currency illegal because some person with a small mind is upset at what they preceieve it to represent? Is our country to be run like Ebay? How small are those who try to hide history. There is a differance between espousing the bad ideas that were part of the confederacy as good now and learning history and how people thought and lived. Lincolin said he "If I could save the Union without freeing any slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could do it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also so that" Most of the southern army were not slave holders, there was a law that exempted from service any man who owned 20 slaves. It was a cause for resentment by the rank and file in the army. When one southren man in a trench heard a northern man yell over "why are you fighting anyway reb?" he replied with a great answer that we could learn a lot from in places like Afganistan and Iraq today "I am fighting beacause you are down here"

Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpenny View Post
To tear down any monument that is historical is no different than what the taliban did to the old statues of Buddah by blowing them up. It is terrorism of historc monuments. The confederacy was not just about slavry, after all anyone with half a brian that has looked into the history knows that Jefferson owned slaves, and the white house was built with slave labor. Even those who lost family in germany for fighting for their home land should not be stopped from putting up a monument to memorialze a lost family member in the war. The history of the civil war is a very interesting thing and tearing down a monument would do exactly what? Nothing, do we make the posesion of confederate currency illegal because some person with a small mind is upset at what they preceieve it to represent? Is our country to be run like Ebay? How small are those who try to hide history. There is a differance between espousing the bad ideas that were part of the confederacy as good now and learning history and how people thought and lived. Lincolin said he "If I could save the Union without freeing any slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could do it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also so that" Most of the southern army were not slave holders, there was a law that exempted from service any man who owned 20 slaves. It was a cause for resentment by the rank and file in the army. When one southren man in a trench heard a northern man yell over "why are you fighting anyway reb?" he replied with a great answer that we could learn a lot from in places like Afganistan and Iraq today "I am fighting beacause you are down here"
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies