Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,917,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
You really have a sincere issue with my response, which I dare not change. If wanting to have my son marry a black, educated, healthy black woman who happens to be the least who is able to be married, then so be it. I need not have your approval of my beliefs for my son and my desire to ensure that black women have a better chance of being married to the one that she prefers. Most black women as we know will stay with her own race and I want my son to be available for her firstly.
Personally, I can totally understand your desire. There are many cultures that want their kids to marry within that culture especially in the middle east and Asian communities.

I don't believe this is racist at all since it has nothing to do with hate but love.

You may be considered old fashioned or politically incorrect but what the heck. I prefer people who live up to their morals and what they believe in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you desire for your son. Hopefully it will never be an issue between the two of you.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:08 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,068,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Having a preference for black men (as the poster you just responded to) or a preference for white men, does not mean that a person is not willing to date other races. I have never been attracted to red-headed, freckled guys but that does not mean that I am completely close-minded about dating one if he catches my eye. A preference is just that.
And even if you were closed minded to dating the red-head, it wouldnt make much of a difference. You will be attracted to who you are attracted to

Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,535,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Personally, I can totally understand your desire. There are many cultures that want their kids to marry within that culture especially in the middle east and Asian communities.

I don't believe this is racist at all since it has nothing to do with hate but love.

You may be considered old fashioned or politically incorrect but what the heck. I prefer people who live up to their morals and what they believe in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you desire for your son. Hopefully it will never be an issue between the two of you.
It is not an issue currently and I am praying that it will never be. He has seen some fine examples thus far of what I have described that I too want for him, so hopefully he will follow the tradition of the black men in his family. Call it family pride and seeing black men in my family choose some healthy, educated, and committed black women to marry and found to be worthy of having children with to carry on this tradition. Just a proud black female who is happy and elated about her black family. Does not make me racist or prejudice personally, but it may appear that way for some folks. All of us can be proud of our families. Unfortunately it appears to be rare that we have healthy families in the black communities, but they do exist and if I can continue the tradition then so be it.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM

3,017 posts, read 5,196,645 times
Quote:
It is not an issue currently and I am praying that it will never be. He has seen some fine examples thus far of what I have described that I too want for him, so hopefully he will follow the tradition of the black men in his family. Call it family pride and seeing black men in my family choose some healthy, educated, and committed black women to marry and found to be worthy of having children with to carry on this tradition. Just a proud black female who is happy and elated about her black family. Does not make me racist or prejudice personally, but it may appear that way for some folks. All of us can be proud of our families. Unfortunately it appears to be rare that we have healthy families in the black communities, but they do exist and if I can continue the tradition then so be it.
I'm just wondering how a black man in an interracial marriage detracts from the image of the healthy black family. And who's to say that the children of such a marriage won't be inclined to choose black partners in the future, even further contributing to the legacy?

Old 12-13-2009, 05:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,626,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Why would race even be factor on who your daughter should date? Shouldn't the important things be about the character of the person she is dating, and if she is treated well?? and not race?
To me, heritage is a big factor. It's peculiar that you can't understand this. If an Irish girl and a Chinese man happen to marry and have children, the children will never be fully accepted by either community or be looked at as truly Irish or Chinese. To the many who don't care about their heritage, that's of little to no consequence, but I would like to see my language, traditions, blood, history, etc. preserved.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Great post, Heaveno.

I wish more people had these values in both the black and white communities. There is nothing wrong with wanting to preserve one's proud heritage, whether European, African, Oriental, Amerindian, etc. If I were a black man, I would certainly want to preserve my culture. This is not about hatred of any other group, but love of your own.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,535,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I'm just wondering how a black man in an interracial marriage detracts from the image of the healthy black family.
I am only speaking of a healthy black family. I never commented nor did I make reference to black men not being able to have an interracial healthy family. I am speaking of black families that have endured and suffered from many ills due to many different factors which include racism and how it had a tremendous impact on the well-being of black families.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
To me, heritage is a big factor. It's peculiar that you can't understand this. If an Irish girl and a Chinese man happen to marry and have children, the children will never be fully accepted by either community or be looked at as truly Irish or Chinese. To the many who don't care about their heritage, that's of little to no consequence, but I would like to see my language, traditions, blood, history, etc. preserved.
I just have to say that is complete bull saying that the children will never be accepted by either community, and they shouldn be looked at as truely one or the other, they should be looked at as equally both.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I am only speaking of a healthy black family. I never commented nor did I make reference to black men not being able to have an interracial healthy family. I am speaking of black families that have endured and suffered from many ills due to many different factors which include racism and how it had a tremendous impact on the well-being of black families.

but what about the black families that havent endured and suffered from many ills due to racism and all?

Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I just have to say that is complete bull saying that the children will never be accepted by either community, and they shouldn be looked at as truely one or the other, they should be looked at as equally both.
Many children of mixed breed often wind up being shunned. They are not white as per the one drop rule, but conservative blacks, Orientals, etc. will never truly view them as a part of their communities. Mixed white/Orientals are referred to as twinkies; Black/white combinations as oreos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies