Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM

49 posts, read 83,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I disagree, most of the arranged couples I've seen are very successful, well adjusted and it seems like their parents did a pretty good job of selection. I'm not that close to the situation so I could be wrong.

Like I said earlier, it's not for me and most Americans but it does seem to work well in many many cultures and has a lower divorce rate than we have here.

I'm sure there are thousands of tragedies that could be told also.
They are very successful because if the women wanted to have a divorce she would be disowned by her family. She would get no support and probably end up living in the street if she didn't have some savings. She probably wouldn't get the children either. She normally has to resign herself early in the marriage to the fact that there is not much she can do.

Seriously, find some documentaries done on the issue. It is truly sad to see a young girl crying her eyes out at the fact that she is marrying someone she has hardly know.

What some families do to stem the impact is they make the arranged couple get to know each other as children and play together so they aren't complete strangers. I guess that helps, but whatever.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,046,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I sure hope so madam. If I didn't know any better, I would think these attitudes were predominant in our society, judging by their frequency here.
I'm sure the majority of racists on here are from Stormfront.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,132 times
Race traders!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 11,230 times
Quote:
They are only shunned and called silly names by the ignorant, whose opinions rarely matter.

I don't know if it its just me but the "mixed breed" reference is quite repulsive and inappropriate. We are talking about PEOPLE, not animals. Geezzz.....Actually everyone in this country is MIXED, we are all mutts. That's what was supposed to make this country so great, and instead its become a stigma.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:29 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,855,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm sure the majority of racists on here are from Stormfront.

No.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,540,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace320 View Post
So, give the children no choice in who they want to spend the rest of their lives with? Oh yeah, I definitely like that.

I was watching a documentary on PBS about arranged marriages, and the women who are forced to enter them are usually unhappy and really have no choice due to family pressure. Truly sad.
They did not show the majority of the arranged marriages, and what you mentioned is not true for all arranged marriages. Being one that has studied arranged marriages, most that I have read about have been successful thus far and has I mentioned before not all of them are healthy for the people involved due to many different factors. Parents who have the best interests for a loving happy family can and do choose appropriate mates for their adult children who have shared and common interests.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM

937 posts, read 2,831,425 times
Quote:
You reeeealllly should have your unresolved issues with black men addressed....professionally. I do not say this in jest.
Soon as more of them become more productive members of society, I will.

And to the comment about Obama, he's an ugly bastard.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,046,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Soon as more of them become more productive members of society, I will.

And to the comment about Obama, he's an ugly bastard.
Glad I don't live in the Midwest.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,633,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
guess what, the one drop rule was done a way with a long time ago. Honestly, do you think we still live in the 70's? many mixed children are accepted by both races, but are accepted as being both, not one or the other, which is the way it should be. Many biracial people never deal with being shunned by anyone
Actually, the one drop rule still remains today in a cultural sense. If this were not the case, Obama would not be referred to as the nation's first "black" president when the man has a English-Irish 100% white mother.

Biracial is just a term coined by people to gain acceptance, but ugly things are whispered about these people in dark corridors.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:48 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,633,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As a matter of fact mixing of the races has produced some of the most beautiful people in our world. Some of the top models are very exotic and of mixed heritage.
Many people who hold this belief also find themselves attracted to Brazilians. I, however, do not.

Those of mixed breed are not the most beautiful, and neither are whites or those from any other race. It's personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies