Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Then you have folks like that Justice of the Peace in Louisiana who refused to marry an interracial couple. And this was only a few months ago!
Guess it is good that I don't live in the South. Can't stand that southern ignorance.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Why does this concern you so deeply?

The representation of this issue as being about skin pigmentation or melanin levels is so far off base. Race is much more than physical appearance. It is history. It is religion. It is language. It is tradition. I will see mine preserved. End of story.
You sort of remind me of the Justice of the Peace from Louisiana.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:

The representation of this issue as being about skin pigmentation or melanin levels is so far off base. Race is much more than physical appearance. It is history. It is religion. It is language. It is tradition. I will see mine preserved. End of story.
Ok, and different ethnicities have different religions, different languages, different traditions as well....

Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Guess it is good that I don't live in the South. Can't stand that southern ignorance.
Me neither. Glad I live in the West.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Last I checked, Italians, Germans and Polish have different languages, religions, and traditions. Which of these are you seeking to preserve? Shouldn't you be speaking in German, Polish or Italian? Why are you communicating in English? Sounds to me as if you have already "tainted" your native tongues.

Quote:
How lovely of you take an interest. I am of Italian, German, and Polish stock. And before you ask, I do quite a bit to preserve the traditions of my ancestors, from everything in the realm of culinary arts to linguistics.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Me neither. Glad I live in the West.
Are you in Encino, CA? I may be a conservative but there is no place I'd rather live than in a place that is diverse as LA County.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
That was pretty much an isolated incident and the guy went down pretty quick. I see more diversity in the south than most of the northeast when we visit family in Boston and New England.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
You know Gardenstater, I can understand the fact that you are concerned about your daughter marrying a nonwhite male (even if the nonwhite male treats her better?) but you might want to understand that you way of thinking can be dangerous . What if in your neighbor's zeal to promote "ethnic harmony" they began to prevent nonwhites from living in your neighborhood in order to prevent their daughters from being in contact with nonwhites? Would that be ok with you? What about school? should nonwhites be allowed to attend schools with white females there? After all this is where many children learn about other races and ethnicities and could possibly be attracted to that sexy latino boy or that cute black kid in her chemistry class. How would you feel then? As a father I know first hand the more that you push in one direction the further a teenager pulls in another. My advice to you is to educate your daughter on your culture and let her make up her own mind as to who she wants to be with.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:20 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Quote:
History, language, tradition, blah blah blah are learned concepts. You don't need to stay within your race to preserve these. Why does this concern me? Because it is because of ignorance such as yours that are preventing racial progress and harmony in our society. The very fact that you would vote against interracial marriage if you had the opportunity shows that you would like to abolish interracial marriage period, not just for your family. I feel so sorry for your daughter especially if she happens to fall in love with a non-white.
Racial progress, harmony, blah blah blah. The fact that some people actually hold such childish notions as world peace and racial harmony is frightening. You're in for a rude awakening. Man is a violent beast.

Yes, I would be in favor of its abolition, but I recognize this is not realistic at the present time. Do yourself a favor and don't involve yourself in my personal affairs or those of my family. It isn't up to you.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You know Gardenstater, I can understand the fact that you are concerned about your daughter marrying a nonwhite male (even if the nonwhite male treats her better?) but you might want to understand that you way of thinking can be dangerous . What if in your neighbor's zeal to promote "ethnic harmony" they began to prevent nonwhites from living in your neighborhood in order to prevent their daughters from being in contact with nonwhites? Would that be ok with you? What about school? should nonwhites be allowed to attend schools with white females there? After all this is where many children learn about other races and ethnicities and could possibly be attracted to that sexy latino boy or that cute black kid in her chemistry class. How would you feel then? As a father I know first hand the more that you push in one direction the further a teenager pulls in another. My advice to you is to educate your daughter on your culture and let her make up her own mind as to who she wants to be with.
This is an EXCELLENT POST. I wish my father would think like you.

We are Indian and he (and my mother) are also against my marrying out the race. They have told me so many times that they will pick who I marry and that I can only marry an Indian guy or whatever.

As you said. You push a child in one direction-they go the other.

My significant other and I celebrated our three years and six months a couple days ago...and no. My parents do not know about him....and he is not Indian.

Quote:
Racial progress, harmony, blah blah blah. The fact that some people actually hold such childish notions as world peace and racial harmony is frightening. You're in for a rude awakening. Man is a violent beast.

Yes, I would be in favor of its abolition, but I recognize this is not realistic at the present time. Do yourself a favor and don't involve yourself in my personal affairs or those of my family. It isn't up to you.
Who I marry is NOT up to you. You would vote to ban interracial marriage? If you would vote against interracial marriage, then do yourself a favor and don't involve yourself in my life. I am in love with someone...who is not part of my race. It is not up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies