Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
I'm going to agree with Red but instead of arguing that there is no positive, I will argue that most people marry within their race. The implication of this is that most people are racist.

There's a reason why people tend to live with their own kind - unless they are very foolhardy. The reason is most people are racist. You might not want to think black people are racist but go into a black neighborhood and people will look at you like, what are you doing here? You are in fact invading their 'hood'. You have no right. You are a stranger. It's a subtle reminder that most people, if not all people, are racist.

It's interesting that the ones who are most in denial of this fact are female, and they are the ones who say they have a right to inter racial relationships. However, males have a different point of view. To a male, inter racial relationships are a sign of disrespect. I think most males would agree. It's hard enough for males to share their food. It's almost impossible to ask males to share their females. And females who willfully disregard our feelings about this are jettisoned from their group. Don't even think of going back.

Guys, females are pitting us against each other. We know it but we don't say anything. And the guys who are breaking the rules need to be reminded that they are disrespecting their brother and causing him to be angry. Bottom line is stay away from the females who want to experiment.

You might say females are the primary cause of racism in this country.
I'll have to agree that females are the primary cause of racism or tension between men in this country, as well as the negativity around the entire world.

Since women have been pinning us against each other for so long, I wonder what it would be like vice versa?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 PM

592 posts, read 414,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wouldn't consider myself tolerant because tolerance implies putting up with something you really don't like. My reasoning is this: I don't see interracial dating/marriage as a bad thing. I have no reason to hate it or fear it. I don't even know who my future wife will be. She might be Black. She might be White. She might be Hispanic. She might be Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American,etc. I can't worry about that too much because I have never had a girlfriend. What I meant by not being able to fathom it is that I could not imagine myself thinking along those lines when it comes to marriage. I think of the good persons I have met, who were of all different ethnicities. If anyone of them were to marry an African-American, I would welcome it. I would also hope the same thing from them.
Of course we don't think about it but that's why we have racism. It would be better if we did think about it. It would be better if we listened to our parents. As far as your future wife goes, the odds are you will marry within your race.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Unfortunately there are still way too many racists in America. This is not just a American problem but some Americans still have the KKK mentality. I am sure there are far more than we imagine. I still find it hard to believe that it was only as far back as the 60's that segregation was common in America and racism was common and in the open.
I don't believe in it.

I just don't.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:30 PM

592 posts, read 414,603 times
Quote:
I'll have to agree that females are the primary cause of racism or tension between men in this country, as well as the negativity around the entire world.

Since women have been pinning us against each other for so long, I wonder what it would be like vice versa?
Since they are not male, females can claim they are acting out of ignorance. But there are males who love stirring the pot; trouble makers, they love trouble.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
That could be because you are not only male but also a MAN. That makes a difference. A MAN isn't so insecure that he sees males of other races as a threat and a MAN doesn't believe that all women of his own race are HIS property to hoard or dispose of as he sees fit. Congratualtions. Obviously you were well rasied. Wish all males were MEN like you.
Thanks. I think part of that might be the fact that my parents never taught me to think of women as property. I am a firm believer that racial prejudice and the attitude of women as "property" are both pathologies about control.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Two reasons:
1. All whites are not what you describe and even to suggest that they are makes you really, really profoundly stupid. It is the greedy rich and powerful who create these "racial divides" and people like you feed in to it.

2. One race is no better than any other, contrary to what you believe. Separating the races would stymie the growth of all races in a country that fosters multi-cultural achievement. Imagine if the NBA, NFL,track and field, MLB w/o blacks, how about no latinos in the orchards, no asians doing tech support, no whites runinng the government....I think that you get the msg

I believe earlier in this century, someone suggested that the blacks be sent back to Africa and as I recall the country of Liberia was born.....check you history
Simetime, you want to believe that this thread and my thread about vanity fair are about blacks vs whites, or whatever other racial matchup. You talk about some black wall street in Tulsa, well, I read about it. And although it was a tragedy, I can't say it was as severe as you want to present it to be. It only did around 1.8 million($21.7 million in todays dollars) in damages. On the contrary, in the LA riots there was more than $1 billion in damages in 1992(that is at least 50 times more damage).

But seriously, I could care less about matching up blacks and whites. That isn't my point. I could really care less if it was blacks causing problems, or if it was whites causing problems. I would be just fine in saying that every problem in America is caused by white people, and therefore you should get rid of white people. Wheres your Marcus Garvy? Your Malcolm X before he got propagandized by Muslims on his trip to Saudi Arabia. What is so bad about Pan-Africanism?

But secondly, your opinion about economic growth, sports, farm work, and technology is a little ridiculous. Why would economic growth suffer? One of the most homogeneous countries in the world is Japan, many people would call them hopeless racists. But do you think their economic growth is "suffering" because they don't want to be a multi-cultural society? Don't be silly. And the same thing can be said about the overwhelmingly white areas all over Europe. Almost half of all European countries have GDP's higher than ours, and they do it by working far fewer hours a week. Are they suffering because their population isn't almost half non-white like ours? Don't make me laugh.

Why is there a need for whites or blacks in professional sports? I hear they are trying to create a whites only basketball league. I don't think that the NFL would just cease to exist if all of the sudden there were no blacks. There would just be white guys out on the field, like there was before the 60's. Why is there a need for Mexicans to pick our fruit? So we can get it cheaper? What money we save is going back out in taxes, to pay for their healthcare, their retirements, and their welfare. As they are bringing in their families illegally and having children here, who will also benefit from the welfare system, while we pay to send their children through school. Is that the benefits you are talking about?

Why do we need Asians to do our tech support? Cause its cheaper? Because we want to destroy our middle-class by allowing all of our companies to offshore all our jobs? Is that what you are talking about? Do you think Bill Gates had some Asian standing behind him telling him how to run his business?

Why is one race no better than the others? How many white running backs are there in the NFL? How many white cornerbacks are there in the NFL? How many white people EVER win a 100m or 200m sprinting event? How could you possibly believe that all races are the same?

Lastly, Liberia wasn't last century, it was founded in the early 1800's. Well before the civil war. The problem was, most Africans didn't want to go back to Africa, they wanted to stay in this country. But honestly, why would they want to go back to Africa? Why would anyone want to live in Africa? About the only decent place to live at any time in African history was South Africa before the end of apartheid, and that was only if you were white. Now, the place is an absolute dump, with one of the highest crime rates in the entire world(I think it is the highest in the world actually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Wow. What a bunch of nonsense. Where shall I start? With my daughter's marriage of 25 years? With 3 women friends who are black and have been married to white men for more than 30 years? With 4 male friends who are black and have been married to white women for times of from 12 years to 45 years? You really need to start hanging around with a better class of people. Or quit getting all your opinions from Stormfront.
You are lucky, I don't know where you live but they must be putting something in the water there, because that is FAR off the national average. You really can't go off one persons personal experience, you should be looking at national averages.

Interracial Divorce in the U.S. – Statistics and How Much They Matter

"Black husband/white wife marriages are twice as likely to divorce as white/white marriages, and Asian husband/white wife marriages are about 60% more likely to divorce as white/white marriages."

But surprisingly....

"White husband/black wife were nearly 50% less likely to divorce than white/white couples, and white husband/Asian wife couples had pretty much the same divorce rate as white/white couples."

White man + black woman supposedly has like the lowest divorce rate in the country. Which is pretty weird huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they dont, when is the last time you saw whites go off on a WM BF couple?
for the BM WF its not usually about race, its about her picking snoop dog instead of a AA winner.
I can't lie, I find white-man + black-woman really weird. My sister has this gaming group that I go to with her sometimes, and there is a white man + black woman couple that comes in a lot. I don't say anything, but it is pretty weird to me. But, supposedly the white male + black female couple has an extremely high success rate. So, it would be kind of petty for me to complain, even though I don't agree with it.

That would just make me a racist xenophobe, with no rational basis for my objection.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 11,654 times
Quoting RedShadowz:

3) Family issues, I personally know several women who have mixed-race babies. I don't know a single one that is still with him 5 years later. Many times the grandparents object to this relationship, but the kids these days do not want to listen, and many of these relationships are only out of spite. In the end, many times the grandparents are the ones having to pick up the pieces. Which can become a sore issue about how the children should be raised(especially if the two families are very different).

I just wanted to tell u that I know quite a few interacial couples that have children together and our still together way past the 5 year mark. One being myself and my husband, we are going on 10 years now and have very beautiful children who get along well with kids at school, the teachers treat them wonderfully and both sets of grandparents love and embrace them whole heartedly.

Do we encounter issues with some people? Sure we do, but for the most part our family is accepted with open arms in our community and our children identify with bothside of who they are.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamy View Post
I just wanted to tell u that I know quite a few interacial couples that have children together and our still together way past the 5 year mark. One being myself and my husband, we are going on 10 years now and have very beautiful children who get along well with kids at school, the teachers treat them wonderfully and both sets of grandparents love and embrace them whole heartedly.

Do we encounter issues with some people? Sure we do, but for the most part our family is accepted with open arms in our community and our children identify with bothside of who they are.
That is wonderful that you are an exception and not the rule, wouldn't it be wonderful if the whole world ran off exceptions? So read the above post, especially in regards to statistics.

That would be like saying, the ghetto is perfectly safe because I lived there and I never was the victim of violence. That would be like saying that rapes don't even happen because I have never been raped. That is like saying drugs aren't a problem in our public schools because I went to public schools or my children went to public schools and we don't have drug problems.

You people and your ridiculous logic is mind-boggling to me.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-04-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Of course we don't think about it but that's why we have racism. It would be better if we did think about it. It would be better if we listened to our parents. As far as your future wife goes, the odds are you will marry within your race.
I don't know that for sure. There have been alot of women I have been attracted too and of different races/ethnicity. Oddly, none of them have been attracted to me. So for now, I can't be worried.

As for my parents, my mother has this to say: She has no problem with interracial marriage. Her beef is with rich Black men(particularly athletes) who exclusively date White women for the fact that are considered "forbidden fruit". Why would you want to view women of any race as "forbidden fruit"?

My father has this view: It is less hassle for me to marry within my ethnicity, with that said, it is very possible to fall in love with someone with a different race. His view is that is will be harder if it is interracial, but it can still happen.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamy View Post

Happy 10th anniversary!

My wife and I will celebrate our 10 year anniversary this year and we are an interracial couple as well. I don't foresee any major bumps in the future and both of our families get along fine. We have 2 beautiful children and have had zero problems integrating into the local school and community.

Here's an anecdote that speaks to the suggestion that mixed race children are somehow inferior or less intelligent than 'purebreeds' - my son is a six year old Kindergartner currently reading at a 5th grade level. He has had no tutoring or teaching outside of our local public school system - he actually taught himself the alphabet in English and Spanish by the time he was 18 months old using several Leap Pad toys given to him as a gifts. We don't claim to have 'done' anything or boast about it as a reflection of us - he's just way smarter than me or my wife. (My daughter is in preschool and seems well ahead of other kids her age, although she hasn't had any standardized testing - so I can't comment on her yet.)

Could there be problems in the future - probably. Are there areas in the country where people will experience more problems than I have - probably. Is there at least one area in the country where there are very few if not zero problems - yes (and there are probably more)

I agree with your post Shamy 100%

Last edited by tyanger; 02-04-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies