Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,084,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
People would be more careful.
Of what? Who they vote for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,322,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
People would be more careful.
Hah! Yeah, right. People aren't gonna stop screwin' just because abortion is illegal. Can you say "divorced from reality"

Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,456,983 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Wapasha
Abortion would fall back into the hands of the states and the American people.
Exactly. Many mistakenly think that reversing roe vs. wade will ban abortion across the country. It won't. It will simply hand the issue back to the legislatures to decide. As a result, abortion will still be legal somewhere in the country, but not everywhere.

People on both sides need to really educate themselves on this.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,662,650 times
Well, just look at what it was like before abortion was legal.

The wealthy would pay for them on the black market.

The poor would go back to depending on coat hangers or bringing children into the world they can't support.

Making it illegal makes about as much sense as making war illegal. The question is whether we keep it above board, well regulated, and safe, or let the black market make the rules.

As noble as their cause is, I'm not sure the anti-abortion crowd has thought through the ramifications of their efforts.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:37 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,357,628 times
Poor women would die in back alleys and rich women would take "vacations" to Canada.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:38 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,305,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I've noticed many people on CD stating that they would like to see Row v. Wade overturned and abortion made illegal or at least strictly controlled. My question is, what do you think would happen in America if abortion was indeed made illegal? Wouldn't there be a great deal of fallout from such a decision? People always discuss how they feel abortion should be made illegal but nobody discusses what would ultimately result from it becoming illegal. What do you envision happening?
Well, if Roe v. Wade were overturned, it wouldn't make abortion illegal. However, it would allow each state to individually decide on their abortion rights.

What would happen if abortion was outlawed in some states? Other states will still have it legal, and women would simply travel across the border to get one. Probably anyway.

What would happen if it were outlawed outright, well thats a different animal. Then women would be going to Canada, and to Mexico, the way they used to. There would also be back room abortions, where "doctors" if thats what you want to call them, will come to ladies homes, and abort the babies.

Abortions have never, and will never go away. Just like any other activity that people will do regardless of its legality, it will continue. Like alcohol drinking during prohibition. Like prostitution, people still do that to. Like Marijuana, and every other illegal drug, people still do them.

The only difference, is they are more expensive, and less safe.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:41 PM

6,901 posts, read 6,808,716 times
Quote:
A draconian registry of all male DNA could make this work.
I believe they are already taking blood samples from newborn babies and collecting data. Also, who knows what happens whenever we have blood samples taken by the hospital or nurses. The labs that process the blood probably have to add the details of the sample to a nationwide database for DNA registration, although I do not know this is done yet, but certainly I read about the babies DNA being stored in a database for posterity. Even if they say they have 'deleted' the record, you can never be sure. We cannot go backwards folks and the Big Brother is watching us more closely than you think.

Abortion is about the state control not about whether it is right or wrong.

Whatever your religious beliefs are, a woman's body is hers and (so far) is not owned by the state. Just like if you had a disease - you should be able to decide what you do about it without other people telling you what you 'should' or 'must' do.

See the bigger issue here and wake up to what is happening.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,662,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Murder would continue by women who choose it as a lifestyle decision as in "Today I'll get my nails done, stop at the supermarket for some food and have a baby sucked out of me."
Having known people who have endured the hardship of abortion, your comment is incredibly ignorant and insulting.

You're not better than the ignorant people who called our soldiers coming home from Vietnam "baby killers".

time to grow up.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 PM

11,298 posts, read 16,590,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Suicide would go up. Child abuse will rise. Abortion will go underground. Babies would be left on doorsteps all over the Country. This would just be the tip of the iceberg if abortion was made ilegal.
Lets see...suicides are up, child abuse is high, babies are left on doorsteps now or placed alive in dumpters.

Maybe people might take more responsibility.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,226,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I've noticed many people on CD stating that they would like to see Row v. Wade overturned and abortion made illegal or at least strictly controlled. My question is, what do you think would happen in America if abortion was indeed made illegal? Wouldn't there be a great deal of fallout from such a decision? People always discuss how they feel abortion should be made illegal but nobody discusses what would ultimately result from it becoming illegal. What do you envision happening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiCJUysIT0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies