Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 PM

160 posts, read 161,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What is happening to this country is the private sector thieves that have become prosperous by cheating the citizens of this country has spent many billions of their loot to buy commercials to convince people to vote against their own self interest. This is a prime example of money corrupts and big money corrupts completely.
As the federal govt. hands everyone raises. The dept. of transportation went from one person making over 170,000 to 1,600 people making that much. See a problem with them using tax payer money like that while your neighbors are about to exhaust their unemployment benefits? I think it\'s a complete outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
If this is about an election, why isn't it in the elections sub-forum?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
From the very next line

But voters support 56 - 38 percent giving people the option of being covered by a government health insurance plan, compared to 57 - 35 percent November 19.
The devil is in the details.

What democrats are attempting to do is take over health care as evidenced by a two thousand page bill that has a lot of things covered that shouldn't be.

Abortion. I don't care what your personal take is on it but enough people in the USA are philosophically opposed to abortion, due to religion or whatever, that it can not pass even if democrats ram it down unwilling throats.

But here they are, jamming and a ramming.

Until age 50 buying health insurance on the open market isn't so bad as long as you don't have a preexisting condition. After age 50 it gets gruesome and being 61 myself I can tell you the premiums are not pretty.

I got an idea, why not try a bill ONE PAGE LONG that extends medicare down to age 50 while expanding it for people with pre-existing conditions so everyone who is legally in this country can get affordable coverage? It's a system already in place, it works and it is something that can be implemented in a few short months.

No abortion provisions, it will kill the country.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:12 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,684 times
Default The Democratic Party ... "Wake Up Factor" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I doubt we see many democrats in this thread its easier to keep your head in the sand and pretend something isn't happening then face this reality

That Americans just doesn't support your agenda

Personally I hope they wake up.
Good Evening,

Well Said Jadex ..... I attempted to rep you but the machine would hear none of it!

One the subject of a political "Wake Up" for the Democrats I would like to add that a good many of these good folks have truly woken up and have come to one most profound conclusion in particular !

Yes indeed... These Democrat's unamiously desire that the increasingly undesirable and troublsome "Liberal" faction be immediately removed from among their ranks and never to return to the once proud Democratic Party!

I have lived among proud card carrying members of the Democratic Party for a long, long time and can assure you that this is the consensus of many of these good folks way up here on the East Coast !

May this most welcome trend continue with a "Vengeance" ... So Mote It Be !

Thanks / Lamar

Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The devil is in the details.

What democrats are attempting to do is take over health care as evidenced by a two thousand page bill that has a lot of things covered that shouldn't be.

Abortion. I don't care what your personal take is on it but enough people in the USA are philosophically opposed to abortion, due to religion or whatever, that it can not pass even if democrats ram it down unwilling throats.

But here they are, jamming and a ramming.

Until age 50 buying health insurance on the open market isn't so bad as long as you don't have a preexisting condition. After age 50 it gets gruesome and being 61 myself I can tell you the premiums are not pretty.

I got an idea, why not try a bill ONE PAGE LONG that extends medicare down to age 50 while expanding it for people with pre-existing conditions so everyone who is legally in this country can get affordable coverage? It's a system already in place, it works and it is something that can be implemented in a few short months.

No abortion provisions, it will kill the country.

First off the bill doesn't cover abortions. The abortion aspect dealt with PRIVATE companies who were entering into the exchange.

Secondly, even without preexisting conditions healthcare is still extremely expensive for those under 50.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Is anyone supposed to be surprised when the party out of power picks up seats on an off year election after two consecutive referendum elections that saturated the majority party's power?

You all get so caught up in these little whims of political twists and turns, missing entirely the far greater patterns that predict all of this.

Obama will push through his major, controversial legislation while he has the majority, just like Clinton did. Then he will become a really great president when he has a more balanced Congress, just like Clinton did. As good as Clinton was at working both sides of the aisle, you know darn well Obama can leave him some nice dust to gnaw on. It's just not in his best interest to do that right now. He needs to make hay while the sun shines, as it were.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's a system already in place, it works and it is something that can be implemented in a few short months.

But you forget, just like Social Security, Medicare spends more than it gets.

Where does that get you. It goes broke, or our government prints more money(You realize, your getting an automatic tax of 12% with the value of the dollar where it is now and going farther down. The reason it takes more dollars to get the same thing)

My dad has to have extra insurance on top of Medicare, as Medicare rations what it will cover. His extra insurance cost him, as much as I pay. He has no co-pay.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What is happening to this country is the private sector thieves that have become prosperous by cheating the citizens of this country has spent many billions of their loot to buy commercials to convince people to vote against their own self interest. This is a prime example of money corrupts and big money corrupts completely.
No, It is a prime example that idiots with idiotic ideas cannot long stand under scrutiny.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM

160 posts, read 161,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Good Evening,

Well Said Jadex ..... I attempted to rep you but the machine would hear none of it!

One the subject of a political \"Wake Up\" for the Democrats I would like to add that a good many of these good folks have truly woken up and have come to one most profound conclusion in particular !

Yes indeed... These Democrat\'s unamiously desire that the increasingly undesirable and troublsome \"Liberal\" faction be immediately removed from among their ranks and never to return to the once proud Democratic Party!

I have lived among proud card carrying members of the Democratic Party for a long, long time and can assure you that this is the consensus of many of these good folks way up here on the East Coast !

May this most welcome trend continue with a \"Vengeance\" ... So Mote It Be !

Thanks / Lamar
Well said Lamar!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:30 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Where do you get your poll information? Fox, I assume? The polls I've seen say the majority of Americans want a public healthcare insurance option.
Who do you get your poll info from? The Daily Kos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies