Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM

20,421 posts, read 12,338,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You just can't do anything that makes them feel good, can we? Maybe the truth about this is that none of these things work so much better than coal and oil or we would have been using them long ago.
They dont like us cutting down trees, so we use plastics to make building products but that uses petro-products and lets CO2 into the atmosphere.... so we go back to cutting down trees and they get mad about that.

what are we supposed to do live outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 02:10 PM

346 posts, read 407,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
At least there is a break even point.
I read an article yesterday where the "break even" point of buying a hybrid SUV is around twenty years. You gonna own the same car for twenty years or have a car last twenty years or even live that long yourself? All in the guise of global warming to boot which is nothing but a hoax. All this stuff is much ado about nothing but companies are raking in the government cash, which is our cash, to make it look like they're trying to make it work. How long will one of these windmills even last?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,300,611 times
The battery life for a Prius is not 20 years. Guess what it is and how much it costs to replace....

Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree with this aspect of his plan. It should be more expensive to be dirty and looking backwards than it is (or will be) to be clean and looking towards the future. There should be incentives to clean up and disincentives for not doing so.
CO2 is not a pollutant. As far as other pollution, would you consider more than a 50% reduction over the next 30 years a good start? I'm sure you'd agree that would be good? That's what has happened over the last 30 years.

Air Quality Trends | AirTrends | Air & Radiation | EPA

Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,258,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I read an article yesterday where the "break even" point of buying a hybrid SUV is around twenty years.

How long will one of these windmills even last?
"I read an article yesterday where the "break even" point of buying a hybrid SUV is around twenty years."

I don't particularly like SUVs, hybrid or otherwise, so I don't care about that. Non SUV hybrids typically have a much shorter break even time, and the break even time decreases as gas prices increase.
Break even time on hybrid vehicles drastically dropping with rising gas prices

BWEA - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.bwea.com/ref/faq.html#how-long - broken link)
Windmill lifesapn = 20-25 years. The earliest ones are now 20 years old and are still functional. As technology and design improves, so will the lifespan of a wind turbine. You're aware that people have to be employed to perform maintennance on wind turbines, yes? And also to produce the parts, and to deliver the parts, and assemble the parts. (that means jobs, by the way.)

Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
The "moonbat" name to the best of my knowledge is attributed too George Monbiot a hard core environmentalist reporter in the UK that has been pushing AGW for a very long time. He'd be like Jesus for AGW followers in UK. He has had this to say recently:

Pretending the climate email leak isn't a crisis won't make it go away | George Monbiot | Environment | guardian.co.uk
Quote:
I have seldom felt so alone. Confronted with crisis, most of the environmentalists I know have gone into denial. The emails hacked from the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia, they say, are a storm in a tea cup, no big deal, exaggerated out of all recognition. It is true that climate change deniers have made wild claims which the material can't possibly support (the end of global warming, the death of climate science). But it is also true that the emails are very damaging.
I believe that is same article he called for resignation of Phil Jones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies