Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
NBC...a bunch of leftwing hate spewing gutless cowards...

Bill O'Reilly lashes out at 'Law & Order' executive producer - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20091211/en_ynews/ynews_en1030 - broken link)
Wolf is simply creating a strawman just like ignorant liberals do in this forum all the time. They create a character of a heinous and evil person, call this imaginary person a conservative, and then go on a rant tearing this hapless evil creature to shreds.

The sole purpose of this strawman argument is a pathetic attempt to build up their self image. This serves two purposes, it keeps the illusion alive that they are the "good people", and it helps to justify their actions, and the allows them liberties to lie, distort, malign and propagandize. You'll see them revert to this strawman argument whenever you debate them and they feel their argument and their tentative position unraveling. They will launch into a strawman argument to puff themselves up, and supposedly reinforce their position, even though they know they have lost the argument.

These people need to keep the illusion alive that their positions on issues and their ideology are justified, since they are the good people, and those conservatives and republicans are vile, vile, racist, bigots, sexists, homophobes, yadda-yadda-yadda.

al Gore does this with global warming, Reid, 0bama, Pelosi, and Grayson do it with healthcare, and people like wolf do it with illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
I read this story earlier.
I completely agree with Bill Oreilly on this one.
Slanted biasness is one thing (that is expected from both sides), but to base a show on a killer murdering illegal immigrants kids. Then directly implying his motives are flamed by right-wing media.
Cmon guys Oreilly had every right to be outraged!
Yeah, he has the right to be as 'outraged' as he wants - just as I have the right to sit here and laugh at him.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
Well, Law and Order is a televison show that is supposed to be somewhat grounded in reality so, can anyone honestly say, that someone out there does not believe or would not have made the statement that the character made? I mean, I have no idea what Bill O'Reilly talks about on the norm as I have only seen his show twice but if I saw a show where he discussed illegal immigrants would it be far fetched for me to think that this was his viewpoint (even if he subsequently clarified statements) or is the comment so far removed from reality that outrage is justified?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I don't think he even knows that Reagan is already dead.

HAHA.
I don't hink you know what the word "again" means.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Bill O'reilly's book "those who trespass" had no pedophilia in it. There were some descriptive sex scenes, none of which involved children. You just out and out lie to attack Fox. You care little for the truth.
The "teenage" girls were under age. Or did you miss that part? Oh wait, that's a fact, they don't share those on Fox.

Quote:
Your inability to dig for the truth and only paying attention to what you percieve as facts that support your cause makes you biased and partisan.

You need to do your homework. But as a Fox Viewer I realize it's easier just to drink from the Fox Kool aid stand.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I didn't get that, I got that the show was showing how nutty and insane the extemes of both sides can be. I think it made the left wing look as nutty and extreme as it did the right wing. Those of you that are so focused on how bad that one clip made the right wing out to be, did you actually watch the whole show? Probably not.
Thank you! I haven't seen this particular episode, but that is basically the 'message' I have gotten from virtually all of the episodes I have seen - either 'side' can turn nutty or deadly when taken to extremes.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
LOL "Law and Order" did on a fictional TV series what Fox does every day on its "news" shows.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 AM

160 posts, read 161,586 times
I see the usual thing going on here. The bashers arent accepting the truth of the matter. The outrage isnt over what the show was about, it was because they used REAL names in it. There is definitley a law suite here. If you don\'t see that, you dont know the laws.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I see the usual thing going on here. The bashers arent accepting the truth of the matter. The outrage isnt over what the show was about, it was because they used REAL names in it. There is definitley a law suite here. If you don\'t see that, you dont know the laws.
LOL I know the law. O'Reilly et al are public figures. There's a very high threshold of proof required. Anyone can file a suit. Winning one is a separate issue.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:02 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Anyone who watches L&O on a regular basis knows their "snatched from the headlines" style and knows how very appropriate that storyline was on the show the other night.

L&O is neither far left or far right because they have done stories that nail both sides to the wall. But when we have REAL news stories of people listening to these shock jock provocateurs and reading their books and then going into a church and killing innocent people...because they're "liberals" etc. then how can O'Reilly cry foul?

If he is this upset because a tv show came a little too close to home, he must have stroked out watching the movie Network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies