Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

I was reading a book recently about the 60's and how it has had a profound impact throughout our lives, culture, and history.

One thing that came up during a section of the book about the Civil Rights movement. The book's author interviewed countless folks in his lifetime and he talked to some of the most influential folks from the 60's and how things have changed since then.

One person in particular got my mind thinking. His name is Dr Colby Steele. I have read that he is a conservative and his career involves around racial issues, history, and study. He talked a bit about something called "White Guilt". So I decided to look up some more info.

When doing a google search, though, I find that "White Guilt" is a Politically Correct term but it's definition varies depending on the whomever you talk to. It can be the fear of being labeled a racist (which white folks do not want!) or it can be the guilt that is felt by a white person because of what happend in the past (Slavery, oppression, etc.) to other races.

White guilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't understand this too much but I am willing to learn. Why is this term in use and why should America care? Is it a problem? Is it a solution to something? Or is it just another "label" someone created?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times
Only academics in certain disciplines use this term. I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
I'm white and have nothing to feel guilty about.

As to your question, why the term is used, I'd say it emanates from a deep seated self loathing on multiple levels exacerbated by overbearing mothers.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Only left winger nutcases buy the white guilt nonsense. More than likely it was dreamed up by some lefties who were running out of new ideas for research so they could get some gubment grants.

White guilt

Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelek1000 View Post
I was reading a book recently about the 60's and how it has had a profound impact throughout our lives, culture, and history.

One thing that came up during a section of the book about the Civil Rights movement. The book's author interviewed countless folks in his lifetime and he talked to some of the most influential folks from the 60's and how things have changed since then.

One person in particular got my mind thinking. His name is Dr Colby Steele. I have read that he is a conservative and his career involves around racial issues, history, and study. He talked a bit about something called "White Guilt". So I decided to look up some more info.

When doing a google search, though, I find that "White Guilt" is a Politically Correct term but it's definition varies depending on the whomever you talk to. It can be the fear of being labeled a racist (which white folks do not want!) or it can be the guilt that is felt by a white person because of what happend in the past (Slavery, oppression, etc.) to other races.

White guilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't understand this too much but I am willing to learn. Why is this term in use and why should America care? Is it a problem? Is it a solution to something? Or is it just another "label" someone created?
So what's your point? You can't read the definitions and figure it out for yourself? Here's a suggestion. Maybe you would do much better for yourself if you would take an English grammar and spelling course.....

Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
i aint white but i am forced to put white on the cencus. i am silcian. my ancestors came here way after slavery.you need to be talking to dead people.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Only academics in certain disciplines use this term. I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other.
Thanks Joejitsu. I will take that under good advice.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

Old 11-30-2009, 06:28 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelek1000 View Post
Thanks Joejitsu. I will take that under good advice.
Don't let people convince you its a big deal. The only time I ever heard terms like this is on internet forums, or on Fox News, complaining about how PC schools are and racist against whites. Stuff like "white guilt" is often a talking point of racist trying to prove they are being oppressed. Like I said I imagine that only a few hundred academics and a handful of textbooks ever mention it.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
I don't think white guilt is a big issue with most people living today. But I remember when my dad was in the dying process we talked a lot about race and he was fond of saying, "It's only by the grace of God that we were born white instead of black." He was raised in the south and said he remembered even when he was a little kid he couldn't understand why grown black men had to step off the sidewalk to let him, a little white boy, pass by. It did bother him that he was able to move north and make something of himself while most of the black kids he knew in the south weren't offered the same opportunities just because of their color. He'd witnessed cross burnings on front lawns and even saw the KKK hang a black man in the wood when he was a kid; witnessed lots of prejudice in his lifetime and lots of changes after the 60s. I would say my dad had white guilt. I wish he would have lived long enough to see Obama get elected. He would have been really happy about that.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 11-30-2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies