Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,600,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Of course in China they are not the model minority -- what with being the majority and all
Yes, the (Han) Chinese majority has their own situation going on in dealing with their Tibetan, Uighur and other minorities.

In any event, I was referring to the earlier poster's lionization of Chinese babies and how perfect and intelligent they are compared to black children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,622,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, the (Han) Chinese majority has their own situation going on in dealing with their Tibetan, Uighur and other minorities.

In any event, I was referring to the earlier poster's lionization of Chinese babies and how perfect and intelligent they are compared to black children.
I don't believe that was what he/she was doing. I think the point they were trying to get across was that the Chinese adoption system is more....organized then American, or Russian for that matter. With the China program you have a timeline and it is accurate -- no surprises. With American adoption programs there are many 'surprises' that benefit noone - least of all the child. With the Russian program (as another example) there have been many instances of 'bait and switch'...couples will go to Russia with the expectation of a certain child only to be told that child is no longer available but look! Here is another child you can adopt -- then the couple finds out the child they adopted has many emotional/physical problems that they were not prepared for.

Like I said - I don't think that poster was praising the Chinese race - he/she was praising their adoption system when compared to the US or others.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 AM

37,774 posts, read 40,925,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Do you actually know anything about adoption??? Black babies are a dime a dozen. There is no wait time to adopt them (aside from the time it takes to get one's paperwork in order, such as the homestudy, etc.) Every infertile couple looking to adopt is informed that if they are open to a non-caucasian baby, an older child, or a baby/child with medical problems, there will be virtually no wait time. The wait for a caucasian baby is over two years, and there is no guarantee they will get a baby even if they wait that period of time.
Not sure what's currently in vogue in the court system but there was a period where black groups were trying to prevent adoption of black children by white couples.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM

433 posts, read 260,552 times
Quote:
Actually anyone who would say 'blood is best' would be the azz --- just my opinion of course

After all, what constitutes 'blood' exactly? DNA? Then how does one 'love' a spouse? How does one fully commit to someone who is not exactly like themselves, if blood is paramount?

When it comes to children, obviously parents who love their child, take care of their child and protect their child is best. Of course, one need not be related by blood to do that.
yes drag everything out of context...................

the fact is children remaing with bio parents as opposed to foster care is preferable.......try reading som actual information as opposed to just spewing opinion

Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,991,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer222 View Post

the fact is children remaing with bio parents as opposed to foster care is preferable.......try reading som actual information as opposed to just spewing opinion
And when the bio parents are clearly unfit, then it is best for the children to be adopted by parents who can lovingly care for them (regardless of race) versus being resigned to the foster care system. This whole "blood is best" nonsense is the main reason why so many minority children are languishing in our foster care system.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Foster care? Who is talking about foster care? Adoption is better then foster care. Then again, foster care is better then an abusive blood parent. Or does blood trump abuse? Neglect? Disinterest?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
And when the bio parents are clearly unfit, then it is best for the children to be adopted by parents who can lovingly care for them (regardless of race) versus being resigned to the foster care system. This whole "blood is best" nonsense is the main reason why so many minority children are languishing in our foster care system.

who decides they are unfit? you are clearly describing a scenario of instant judgement, one where the parents have no opportunity to make good and that is good for no one. The reality is like it or not that all research shows the best family for a child is his or her blood family. Sure if an infant never knows the difference is adopted than fine but even a 1 year old will experience severe trauma from being removed from his or her home. Yes at times it may be necessary but instead of money being spent on programs that don't work it should be spent on parent education and support in the best interest of the child.

Also you seem to be implying that only minority families are unfit and you contradict earlier statements about how hard it is for non-babies and specifically non- whites to be adopted.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Foster care? Who is talking about foster care? Adoption is better then foster care. Then again, foster care is better then an abusive blood parent. Or does blood trump abuse? Neglect? Disinterest?

Look your uninformed opinion doesn't mean much to me. I work in the mental health field and all research shows that whenever possible the kids should be left in the home. Secondly do you know how hard it is to permanently terminate rights of parents when the child is 3 or 4 etc. Even when it does happen it takes a long time, as it should, therefore without other family taking the child your option is foster care. Like it or not. The foster care system sucks period. Also you seem to ignore all the posts and data showing that older children are quite hard to get adopted. If you have any actual knowledge or information about the system I would gladly discuss it with you because I do.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,538,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Which explains why there are tons of black children wallowing in our broken foster care system. I would think that it would be preferable for a black child to be raised by those of another race versus being shuffled around from foster home to foster home. Seems like the National Association of Black Social Workers have their priorities mixed up and millions of black childen in foster care are paying the price. Thanks for posting this Katiana.
I would argue they have their priorities right, from a job security perspective, anyway. More adoptions means fewer foster kids. Fewer foster children means fewer jobs in social work.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Look your uninformed opinion doesn't mean much to me. I work in the mental health field and all research shows that whenever possible the kids should be left in the home. Secondly do you know how hard it is to permanently terminate rights of parents when the child is 3 or 4 etc. Even when it does happen it takes a long time, as it should, therefore without other family taking the child your option is foster care. Like it or not. The foster care system sucks period. Also you seem to ignore all the posts and data showing that older children are quite hard to get adopted. If you have any actual knowledge or information about the system I would gladly discuss it with you because I do.
So you are part of the problem. Wrap yourself up in 'feel good' science all you like - the children are the ones that suffer for it time and again.

And why should it take years and years to terminate parental rights? If a 'parent' abuses his/her child why give them years to see if they will do it again? How many chances do you think are enough?

And I do know that adopting older children is hard, and I do know that foster care is in the business of family reunification at all costs --- thus the problem of having older (and emotionally damaged) unadoptable children languishing in foster care.

My point is that adopting in the US is harder then hell due to a misguided social welfare system that pits the rights of an abusive/neglectful parent over the rights of a childs safety.

I suppose you also agree with the black social workers union who asserted that black children are better off left in foster care then adopted by white families? Face it - your posts reak of an anti adoption bias. Blood is best! Blood is but fluid, love and care and responsibility are higher and more tangible things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies