Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times

Advertisements

This just goes to show you how wrong you can be when you make assumptions. The two gentlemen who beat this student to death were not thugs at all. They were, in fact, college students themselves from middle class backgrounds. So those of you who thought that this beating must have been perpetrated by lower class thugs were wrong.

When Black-on-White Crime Gets Personal « Reporter’s Notebook

"First and foremost, NO outlet, until the Plain Dealer’s article about Kernich’s death today, reported that Barker and Nunn were themselves college students."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Since no one else was discussing this at CD, why do you find it important to bring up and discuss?
It was not related to race, as your story clearly illustrates.
What's the issue, if race is irrelevant?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Since no one else was discussing this at CD, why do you find it important to bring up and discuss?
That's what I'm saying. You can't jump to conclusions and make assumptions. People automatically think lower class thug. It's just not right.

- Reel

Old 12-12-2009, 03:47 PM

160 posts, read 161,586 times
Quote:
What\'s the issue, if race is irrelevant?
if they would have started this thread if it was already being discussed, it would have been considered a duplicate thread right? So aren\'t you supposed to start a new thread of your choice if it is not already being discussed? Please let me know so I know how this forum works. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
If you do not feel that this is a topic worthy of discussion, why do you even bother opening the thread. Also, if this WERE being discussed, then a new thread should not be opened. We should not be limited by what is currently being discussed. If this topic isn't appropriate, then the moderators will intervene. The beauty of CD is that we all have a chance to post threads that we feel are relevant as long as we stay within the CD TOS guidelines.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Perhaps because Kent is my alma mater.
No one brought up race but the OP.
What does that look like, racism?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:52 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
This just goes to show you how wrong you can be when you make assumptions. The two gentlemen who beat this student to death were not thugs at all. They were, in fact, college students themselves from middle class backgrounds. So those of you who thought that this beating must have been perpetrated by lower class thugs were wrong.

"First and foremost, NO outlet, until the Plain Dealer’s article about Kernich’s death today, reported that Barker and Nunn were themselves college students."

Reelist, please take care not to refer to such people as "gentlemen." The term "males" should suffice, though I'd prefer "subhumans of the XY chromosomal makeup."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your point in posting this story is to show that violent criminals can't blame their character flaws on poverty.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Perhaps because Kent is my alma mater.
No one brought up race but the OP.
What does that look like, racism?
Whoa, wait a minute. I said nothing about race in my OP and you agree the article says it's not about race. So where is this coming from?

- Reel

Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Reelist, please take care not to refer to such people as "gentlemen." The term "males" should suffice, though I'd prefer "subhumans of the XY chromosomal makeup."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your point in posting this story is to show that violent criminals can't blame their character flaws on poverty.
You have a good point. Being impulsive and violent is a personality trait that crosses socio-economic classes. Even alcohol does not make one impulsive and violent. All alcohol will do is lower any inhabitions and make it harder to control impulses but it will not make one impulsive or violent if they are not already so.

You allude to the fact that men are more impulsive and violent than women and, of course, you are correct. Men are more aggressive than women as well.

I'm sure these XY chromosomes were drinking and something triggered them. So they gave into their impulses and became violent and aggresive. I think people did assume they were lower class thugs which was a mistake. I don't know why this was not made clear in most of the media stories. I can't think of anything that is gained by this omission if it was know. Can you?

- Reel

Old 12-12-2009, 06:47 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Whoa, wait a minute. I said nothing about race in my OP and you agree the article says it's not about race. So where is this coming from?

- Reel
Ummm...your article perhaps?

It's obvious you're trying to attribute the tendency towards violent behavior to something independent of social class - like, ohhh, say, race.

You're not fooling anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies