Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I personally think all the blacks should move to one section of the country and tell all the white people to F-off. Then you wouldn't have to cry all the time because white people don't like you and you can't handle it.

I think the opposite, they should spread out all over the country, into all those 97+% white towns and cities in Indiana, Montana, Utah etc. That thinning would also make it easier for whites to accept a few blacks in their neighborhoods, and blacks would be seen as individuals, not an ethnic group with all the stereotypes attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 AM

615 posts, read 544,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am asking "How does this help me?" because I am the one who will be affected. I might get treated badly because of the actions of a few fools. When I hear people talking about how they don't want to associate around Black people, I take it as an insult because I am Black. You should differentiate between the "bad acting kids" you keep seeing in Philadelphia and the Black kids who don't act like that, rather than speak as if people like me don't exist. That is why I ask "How does it help me?" I feel like a target because I am Black and I am being perceived as bad along with the persons who are causing problems. What am I suppose to do about that? Somehow, it is like no one has answers for those questions. As for "Bad Black kids" being an influences on White kids, maybe the problem is that you are in Philadelphia and not some suburban areas. Maybe I haven't been to Philadelphia and you haven't been to Paulding County(where I used to live).
My father moving me into a predominantly White area didn't stop me from getting around some bad influences. What helped me was seeking out the persons who aren't causing bad influences. I knew who those kids were. You say the kids are around their schoolmates more than their parents. My question is then: Where were the parents? It starts at home. I knew if I ever did something that stupid, I would get in alot of trouble. That is why I stopped trying to fit in. My parents were also a factor.
You're making a mistake by thinking this is about you, it's not, it's not about any one individual, it's about blacks as a whole. There are enough bad blacks, especially those of school age, to make me not want to send my kids to school with them. It's not personal, its just something I have to do, the risk is greater than the reward. I've seen too many white kids turn bad when going to school with black kids.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
You're making a mistake by thinking this is about you, it's not, it's not about any one individual, it's about blacks as a whole. There are enough bad blacks, especially those of school age, to make me not want to send my kids to school with them. It's not personal, its just something I have to do, the risk is greater than the reward. I've seen too many white kids turn bad when going to school with black kids.
I do take it personal because I might think of myself as an individual, but there are many who will think of me as part of the larger group, rather than as my own person. How can I not think this is about me? What do I do about it? In a way, it is like making someone like me invisible. What does someone like me do about it, to live in this society?

This is one of the issues when it comes to flight. I might not be a bad person. I might not cause trouble, but because there are people who look like me who cause trouble, I may not be perceived as how I am, but rather, the stereotype. Some people will take flight if I move into the neighborhood without giving me a fair chance. Why not everyone in this society is like this, there are people who do act like this. If am, an African-American, am less likely to be given a fair chance, how can I not take it personal? If I am suppose to be part of this society, am I not suppose to be treated individually as such?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think the opposite, they should spread out all over the country, into all those 97+% white towns and cities in Indiana, Montana, Utah etc. That thinning would also make it easier for whites to accept a few blacks in their neighborhoods, and blacks would be seen as individuals, not an ethnic group with all the stereotypes attached.
While I agree that your plan is generally a good one for what your goals are. But I don't really think that the blacks would be very happy being an extreme minority.

I think where you and I disagree is on our goals and why they are important. Your goal is for whites to accept blacks as equals and live beside each other in some sort of magical utopia. But I must ask you, why is this even important?

Why does it really matter if whites accept blacks as equals? Lets pretend that tomorrow every single black person in this country moved to Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, then these three states kicked out all the white people(or better, lets pretend there just weren't any white people there to start with) and then broke off into a new country called blackatopia. So all of the sudden there were no black people in America and no white people in blackatopia. Is that a bad thing? Why does it matter? If there are no black people in America, does that mean we are suddenly going to all hate Africans and want to conquer blackatopia and kill off all the blacks? There are plenty of very homogeneous countries in the world that are extremely peaceful. But they still want to stay homogeneous. Should we force all these peaceful homogeneous countries to throw open their borders and allow immigrants to pour in because we are afraid that they aren't tolerant enough of outsiders?

Why is it that the people in many pasty-white European countries not only don't dislike people who aren't European, but they are some of the biggest donors of money and time to help people in second and third-world countries?

There are many people in this country that would rather send money to help Africans in Africa, than give to a homeless person in their own country.

It is an absolute fact that there is more racism where there is diversity than where this is no diversity. You are trying to create a solution to a problem that shouldn't even exist. It is just another liberal fallacy in a long line of liberal fallacies.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,240 times
Quote:
I do take it personal because I might think of myself as an individual, but there are many who will think of me as part of the larger group, rather than as my own person. How can I not think this is about me? What do I do about it? In a way, it is like making someone like me invisible. What does someone like me do about it, to live in this society?
Everyone has to deal with that in one way or another. I was born in Alabama. If I was in Massachusetts and told someone that, they would instantly be judging me and know all about who I am without me having to say anything else. It is a stigma, it carries a stereotype, and a harsh one at that. Everyone has a group they belong to that gets stereotyped. It could be where you are from, how you talk, how you dress, it could be what car you drive, and it most certainly can be your skin color.

Face it, people are judgmental and intolerant. But it something that all of us put up with.

Quote:
This is one of the issues when it comes to flight. I might not be a bad person. I might not cause trouble, but because there are people who look like me who cause trouble, I may not be perceived as how I am, but rather, the stereotype. Some people will take flight if I move into the neighborhood without giving me a fair chance.
Sorry, but that is life. You are going to be categorized and stereotyped. If not by your race, then it will be something else people will judge you by. Although you do have it much worse, because no matter what you do people will always see the color of your skin first and pass their judgments.

As for white flight, I believe it is rooted more in a shift from jobs in the intercity to the suburbs as opposed to being racially based. I once read that statistically whites move much more frequently than any other race by a rather large margin. The two biggest reasons for moving were family and jobs. Between 4%-5% selected "better neighborhood/less crime", which supposedly fuels perceived white flight.

I do not know if newer data is available, but the Census Bureau published a report on the subject following the 2000 Census:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/p23-204.pdf

Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
Wow, this thread attracted the nutzis like a fresh pile of dog doo.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
White flight is non sense. Many major cities have experienced gentrification over the last 20 years. Unfortunately, many minorities are being forced out of the cities because the influx of wealth into gentrified areas makes it too expensive for them to live there.
Well there was Black Flight to suburbs. There are a few Black couples in my neighborhood waiting for the inner cities to clean up. Most are eying Newark , which seems to be on the right tract. It has a growing interracial couple and white population. Minorities aren't being forced out of the city , there just moving to other parts. Urban Jersey has only undergone Urban Renewal / Gentrification these past 10 years not 20 and only in certain areas. I predict over the Next 10 years all of New Jersey's Urban areas get Urban Renewed and Gentrified. Even some of the worst areas , its only a matter of time.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
While I agree that your plan is generally a good one for what your goals are. But I don't really think that the blacks would be very happy being an extreme minority.

I think where you and I disagree is on our goals and why they are important. Your goal is for whites to accept blacks as equals and live beside each other in some sort of magical utopia. But I must ask you, why is this even important?

Why does it really matter if whites accept blacks as equals? Lets pretend that tomorrow every single black person in this country moved to Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, then these three states kicked out all the white people(or better, lets pretend there just weren't any white people there to start with) and then broke off into a new country called blackatopia. So all of the sudden there were no black people in America and no white people in blackatopia. Is that a bad thing? Why does it matter? If there are no black people in America, does that mean we are suddenly going to all hate Africans and want to conquer blackatopia and kill off all the blacks? There are plenty of very homogeneous countries in the world that are extremely peaceful. But they still want to stay homogeneous. Should we force all these peaceful homogeneous countries to throw open their borders and allow immigrants to pour in because we are afraid that they aren't tolerant enough of outsiders?

Why is it that the people in many pasty-white European countries not only don't dislike people who aren't European, but they are some of the biggest donors of money and time to help people in second and third-world countries?

There are many people in this country that would rather send money to help Africans in Africa, than give to a homeless person in their own country.

It is an absolute fact that there is more racism where there is diversity than where this is no diversity. You are trying to create a solution to a problem that shouldn't even exist. It is just another liberal fallacy in a long line of liberal fallacies.
Well, I have those goals because I for whatever reason I do not favor my own race/ethnic group over others. I am a human 2.0, not one of those animal-humans with all their outdated territorial aggressions etc. I have been around the world and felt better in well integrated and colorful places. I see no purpose in parallel societies. Germany has that with its couple of million Turks, who mostly stick to themselves instead of mingling with locals. One of the reasons I left.

Your scenario concerning the US sounds like a nightmare to me. Why don't you suggest euthanasia? It would have the same effect and save people the cost of moving to/out of blackatopia You also ignore the fact that a large percentage of Americans are already mixed, where do you suggest they move, blackatopia or white America?

Last edited by Neuling; 06-11-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 PM

328 posts, read 195,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That way we can watch the crime rate climb and the home prices drop! Excellent plan!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
That way we can watch the crime rate climb and the home prices drop! Excellent plan!
Obviously you think minorities = crime. So even in your view it should make sense to dilute crime by diluting all those criminal minorities

Home prices drop when a neighborhood has a bad reputation, which in turn is the result of crime. If a town has 95% instead of 98% whites, it should still be safe enough for everyone So even to Americans to whom money is more important than their fellow Americans, it should be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies