Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

981 posts, read 805,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And really, why should gays be treated any differently than anyone else, JC?
They shouldn't be treated any differently. But because of the politics of exclusion, they are treated differently. So, efforts to include them and acknowledge them are seen as controversial, when in reality it is about addressing a wider and more severe issue.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,682,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
No one is certain about the origins of heterosexuality either.

Was there a point you were going to make, perhaps?
Don't make me laugh! We're going from the silly to the ridiculous now.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:53 PM

981 posts, read 805,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's a valid question/concern. You just can't answer it because your status as a heterosexual has never been questioned. I just as easily laugh off your ponderings on homosexuality as silly and ridiculous.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,676,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
The History of GLBT? What's that exactly?

See kids..... It all started when RuPaul McDaniel came across on the Mayflower and decided he wanted boobs and wanted to pork his shipmates...

I had to look it up. I guess I'm just ignorant and a bigot.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,139,713 times
Uh was that a weird slam against blacks and gays? RuPaul and Hattie McDaniel combined..

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
They shouldn't be treated any differently. But because of the politics of exclusion, they are treated differently. So, efforts to include them and acknowledge them are seen as controversial, when in reality it is about addressing a wider and more severe issue.
If you'll read back, I said I agree with expanding civil rights classes to include the fight for civil rights for the GLBT community, and like racial civil rights eladers, gay civil rights leaders should be included as well.

You, on the other hand, and I may be mistaken in which case I apologize, appear to advocate special, seperate classes for a GLBT history that not only includes civil rights issues, but notable gays throughout history just because they were gay.

This is a case of more-than-equal-rights in my opinion.

"George Washington Carver, the heterosexual Africa-American inventor of peanut butter".

IMHO, the African-American designation is absolutely asanine and doesn't need to be added, it detracts from the accomplishments made by Mr. Carver. And you can see how silly the hetero addition is.

But the above is no different than...

"Joe Q. Gay, the homosexual White Anglo Saxon American inventor of some gadget".

Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,239,524 times
Absolutely not.

There is no reason to teach such history.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,039,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Absolutely not.

There is no reason to teach such history.
Is there any reason to teach the civil rights movement, then?

That'd be about the size of teaching the GLBT movement, in my opinion.

Teach it, but don't make a whole subject out of it just yet. Not enough to go on.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
No, not being silly at all, only being well informed in the subject.

We are not certain about the mechanics and origins of either of the three major classifications of sexual orientation, homo-, bi-, or heterosexuality.

The only thing we do know is that all three are naturally occuring, inherent, unchangable aspects of human beings.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,676,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Is there any reason to teach the civil rights movement, then?

That'd be about the size of teaching the GLBT movement, in my opinion.

Teach it, but don't make a whole subject out of it just yet. Not enough to go on.

Black people had no rights. They couldn't vote! They had to drink out of separate water fountains! They couldn't eat with white people! They were fighting for their rights to be treated as people.
Tell me how exactly does this compare to being gay?
How many gay people do you know that can not vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.