Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,404,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
I must have missed something, I was simply replying to the original post.
I did to, for awhile I was under the assumption that the OP wanted special classes.

But, during the convo, it became clear that they suggested only adding the GLBT community to Civil Rights History classes.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM

457 posts, read 755,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I did to, for awhile I was under the assumption that the OP wanted special classes.

But, during the convo, it became clear that they suggested only adding the GLBT community to Civil Rights History classes.
Okay
Although I voted no I wouldn't be one to get bent if schools did include it. Except for very young children "K-5".

Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
Okay
Although I voted no I wouldn't be one to get bent if schools did include it. Except for very young children "K-5".
Agreed. Thena gain I'm not sure when they start Civil Rights History classes these days. I think I remember mine starting in 7th grade.

I COULD check my school records, but the roof leaked at the archives and all the clay tablets got ruined.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM

7,181 posts, read 4,747,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If so, at what age/grade would it be "appropriate" to introduce said history into the curriculum?

For those of you who are voting no, could you give some reasons for your objection?

Our "children" are having trouble behaving properly in the classroom, some have the attention span of a gnat. Too many can't even read let alone write or have difficulty with multiplication. Most don't have a clue about geography.

History of the LGBT movement is more suitable as an elective course in college. Hopefully, by then, most of the students will know how to read and write and they might actually learn something.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM

981 posts, read 803,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And you wonder why No outnumbers Yes by 2 to 1....
No, I don't "wonder" about it. I know the answer. It is prejudice and bigotry.

Quote:
I'll bet there are some yes votes rethinking their stance after reading more of your posts.
I don't care. It's not my concern.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
You are being extremely prejudical yourself. You refuse to even contemplate that you could be wrong. Not wanting something taught in school does not mean someone is prejudiced against it. I am sure that you are firm in you beliefs, but you have to allow others the same luxury.
I am not wrong, because there is nothing to be wrong about. The people who disagree are the ones being exclusive, highly prejudicial, and bigoted in their reasoning. There are no two ways to look at this, and my stance is completely reasonable.

I am sick of allowing people the luxury of bigotry. They deserve no such luxury, and I won't accept it. They are wrong.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Our "children" are having trouble behaving properly in the classroom, some have the attention span of a gnat. Too many can't even read let alone write or have difficulty with multiplication. Most don't have a clue about geography.
That has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
History of the LGBT movement is more suitable as an elective course in college. Hopefully, by then, most of the students will know how to read and write and they might actually learn something.
No, it is suitable to include the GLBT movement in history courses in public schools when it's relevant - that is, in the context of other Civil Rights issues in the US. To not discuss it is to be exclusionary and deliberately dismissive of an entire minority group with an important history.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,381,576 times
Default thats gay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's never too early to say the word "gay" in a positive context to a child. God knows they're going to hear the word a LOT more in a negative context from their peers.

I don't know what people are afraid of. You accept that kids will use gay slurs toward each other, right? But then you don't want a teacher saying anything positive about a gay person until they're in junior high or later? Pfft. That's absolutely ridiculous, cowardly, and homophobic. Grow up.
Your going to need another catch phrase.
You've been riped off by the very children you want to 'educate'.
Good luck with that.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Part of the reason our kids are graduating stoopid is because the curriculum has degraded to the point of being asanine.

Learning by rote and rewarding kids for failure (passing them on even if they fail a subject) are examples of why education is failing.

Reinventing, reintroducing, and reenforcing solid curriculum is what we need.

Part of that solid curriculum is a well rounded, inclusive history of the Nation those kids are groing up in, including the ongoing fight for Civil Rights that minorities are laboring under today.

The GLBT community is just SUCH a minority seeking Equality and Civil Rights.

While it is indeed a sad and regretful thing that any recognized minority must fight for Equality, in a Nation that supposedly prides herself on the concept, instructing children on the plight and fight of minorities in seeking said Equality is very important and hoepfully exposing kids to this ongoing matter will lessen the impact of bigotry and prejudice.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:39 PM

331 posts, read 498,052 times
I say leave this out of the education system. Let's focus on getting kids to handle what they have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.