Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Give me a break. I can come up with articles about just about any state that shows some negative stereotype coming to life. It's just so much more interesting when it's Texas or some state in the South. So the libs can nod their heads and go, "Mmmm, hmm! SEE!?!" Lame.
Not lame at all. Texas fought to keep sodomy illegal and took it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. That's serious stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
This is a huge news story for a major Texas city electing an openly Gay person as Mayor. I am confused somewhat that Houston seems to be much more forward thinking in its view toward Gays/Lesbians than "liberal" New York or California, areas that contain large Gay populations. Is there something Gays are doing right in Houston that they are not doing correctly in the more "Gay friendly" states? Its worth a visit!
You're comparing what - a city in Texas to the entire states of New York or California? That really doesn't make sense.

Let's see Texas pass a statewide civil unions law. Then you'll have a good argument.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I won't engage with your larger point, but just wanted to point out that Houston is the 4th largest city only on a technicality that its borders expand to envelop what would be suburbs in other regions. In that context, Houston isn't really that big. For example, if Detroit expanded its borders to consume its suburbs, it would be a city of about 5 million instead of 900,000. If DC did, it wouldn't be a city of about 4 million instead of 600,000 ... and so on and so forth.
Uh, no. The borders of the City Of Houston are what they are. It's a huge city, whether it includes what some people call suburbs or not.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
56 posts on this subject, and all anyone has talked about is the mayor being gay.
Well yes. That's the title of the thread.

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you people that she was elected because of her plan for the city and not her sexual preferences?
Great. Start a thread about it.

Quote:
This is what kills me......all the gay supporters want to discuss is the fact that the winner happens to be gay
Again. Read the title of this thread. If you want to talk about something different, then start your own thread.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're comparing what - a city in Texas to the entire states of New York or California? That really doesn't make sense.

Let's see Texas pass a statewide civil unions law. Then you'll have a good argument.
you're right about that one. texas is pretty retarded when it comes to protecting the rights of gays and lesbians. for many years, groups have tried to pass at the very least bills that would protect glbt from employment discrimination. with no success. our turd head governor made the comment a few years ago that gay texan veterans (who put their lives at stake) should find another state to live in if they don't like the gay politics here. only the major cities dallas, houston or austin can have success in electing a gay mayor.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
What the big deal is? The big deal is that she did win election, although there were a ton of haters out there trying to fight her just because she was gay - no other reason.

Last edited by Marka; 12-22-2009 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: cut quote

Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Parker leads in Houston - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

She leads by an "unbeatable 5%" with 90% of the votes counted. It is a proud day to be a Houstonian.
I know this must be very exiting for homosexuals and they have to try to make this into an epic event. But lets all come down to earth for a minute, she was a democrat! Houston is overwhelmingly democrat, as sad as this is that it is in the great state of Texas, its Houston! If she were a lesbian Republican and beat a straight democrat in Houston, then we would have something to be concerned about. but hey, nonetheless its a gay day for homos in houston!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I know this must be very exiting for homosexuals and they have to try to make this into an epic event. But lets all come down to earth for a minute, she was a democrat! Houston is overwhelmingly democrat, as sad as this is that it is in the great state of Texas, its Houston! If she were a lesbian Republican and beat a straight democrat in Houston, then we would have something to be concerned about. but hey, nonetheless its a gay day for homos in houston!
It is a great event. Calif is overwhelmingly Democratic (blue by double digits in national and state races), yet could not keep prop 8 from becoming the law. Just the mere fact that a majority was able to overlook her sexuality and look at her qualifications is a milestone for houston.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
56 posts on this subject, and all anyone has talked about is the mayor being gay. Did it ever occur to you people that she was elected because of her plan for the city and not her sexual preferences?

This is what kills me......all the gay supporters want to discuss is the fact that the winner happens to be gay.......but God forbid anyone bring up the actual state of the city or what the results of this election will translate into politically. More of the same from the liberal plague swarming our nation. "It's ok to join our discussion, as long as you praise the gay lifestyle.......and if you don't agree then you are certainly a combative, bigoted, redneck religious zealot living in the past."

Who are the real antagonistic intolerants here?

I wish the new mayor of Houston all the best in correlation with the task entrusted to her, however I will never support, promote, advocate, or endorse homosexuality in any way, shape, or form.
Have you read this thread at all?
Start with the title.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Rev Wright is a great man.
I wouldn't go that far, I think all religious preachers, etc. are charlatans at best.
______
A decade or two old quote does not reflect on the current situation, does it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies