Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
A nice positive twist of many folks justly negative opinion on the subject about not wishing folks 'Merry Christmas.' Helps a person to concentrate on a more positive way of putting it all.

In God We Trust

Subject: A letter from Jesus about Christmas.

Letter from Jesus about Christmas --

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season.

How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth, just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

Now, having said that let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You can remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list. Choose something from it:

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally.. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing the President complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up... It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5 Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary-- especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My name.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them,buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity which believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember :

I LOVE YOU,
JESUS
While the message is cute, I think it's blasphemy from someone to write a letter and attribute to Christ, as if they speak for him.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And how can anyone forget New Year's Eve on the last day of the month? Definitely a holiday and not religious.

New Year's Eve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
New Year's Eve or Old Year's Night is on December 31, the final day of the Gregorian year, and the day before New Year's Day.
Gregorian calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Gregorian calendar is the internationally accepted civil calendar.[1][2][3] It was introduced by Pope Gregory XIII, after whom the calendar was named, by a decree signed on 24 February 1582, a papal bull known by its opening words Inter gravissimas.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
While the message is cute, I think it's blasphemy from someone to write a letter and attribute to Christ, as if they speak for him.
Wouldn't that make much of the NT blasphemous?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Got to admit that I didn't read through 47 pages of this thread and I have no plans to do so.

I just want to mention that "Happy Holidays" was quite common before there was much religious diversity in this country, back in the days when pretty much everyone was Christian. There were some Jews and most of the atheists/agnostics were deep in the closet. "Happy Holidays" was said by some Christians to Jews if the Christian was aware there was a Jewish holiday around the same time as Christmas....if the Christian knew any Jews. "Happy Holidays" was shorthand for "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". Christmas and New Years are the holidays traditionally referred to in the phrase.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Heh.

Jews are 4% of the country and Muslims are less than 1%.

Anyone who takes the celebration of those holidays in the U.S. seriously is a tool.
Anyone who speaks so casually and callously about the faiths of millions of Americans is a tool.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If I should wish someone a "Merry Christmas", I will I know they are Christian before saying this?
you will know that you offered them "good wishes" and that is only what you intended to do. you don't have to just be a christian to receive good wishes! (same with happy hanukkah, joyous kwanzaa, or any other good wish greeting).

Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
The last time I checked America is mostly a Christian country and Christmas has been a national celebration since this nation's founding. If immigrants are offended by this, then why do they come here?

If I were to immigrate to Isreal, I wouldn't complain about someone telling me "Happy Hanukkah". Nor would I be offended if I immigrated to a Muslim country and someone told me "Happy Ramadan".

America was created by Europeans. And Europeans have made up most of the population of this nation ever since. If you don't like the fact that this country has customs based on Western Civilization and Christianity, then please leave. Don't stay here and make things miserable for the majority population.

Now I am just waiting for someone to say "well the Native Americans were here first". What I have to say to that in response is that this continent was wildnerness when they lived here. Immigrants didn't have any interest in coming here until Europeans carved a great nation out of an uncivilized continent. So your argument will have no validity to this topic.
Relax, take a deep breath, and get over yourself.

If you want to say "merry christmas" feel free to do so.

If someone else says, "season's greetings" it isn't a dire threat to your middle eastern religion.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
You wouldn't and that is NOT the original intent of What? Me?'s statement. That you cannot seem to grasp what several of us have been trying to tell you is very strange to me, because I know you to be a very intelligent person.
I came in on this discussion when an OP made the statement that Saying merry Christmas is egocentric.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
I don't lose sleep if someone says "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Few Days After the Shortest Day of the Year."

They are all meant to be nice. That's what counts. We need to all stop being so self-centered.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
If I want to say Happy Holidays, I say Happy Holidays. Anyone who doesn't like it can stuff it. Christ wasn't born on 12/25. The Winter Holiday is actually a pagan festival co-opted by the Catholic Church for the sheeple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies