Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
It's great that you find it all so amusing. It's sad that we have no shortage of folks like you who will stand around and laugh while Western civilization burns. Very patriotic. Very culturally aware.
I think you've lost your grounding, sir. Western civilization is burning because someone says "Happy Holidays"?

And what does the celebration of one religion's holiday have to do with patriotism to a secular nation?

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of people who don't celebrate Christmas that I encounter on a regular basis. They're no less "Americans" than you or I, but it would be like telling you, "Happy Kwanzaa!" It would make no sense. Why force that on people?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
While like others, I am in favour of English being the "official" langauge, I've no problems with people of varying faiths.

You say "made up neo-pagan tripe", however, that "neo-pagan tripe" is about as made up as Christianity.
Exactly. EXCELLENT point.
+1

Quote:
There are a great many faiths I have much respect for. Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Shintoism, Buddhism, etc. all have great aspects and have contributed much to the culture of their host countries.

Of course, that doesn't mean they belong here. I have no sympathy for Muslims who want the U.S. to adapt to suit them just as I have no sympathy for Christians who go to Saudi Arabia and then get jailed and flogged for ignoring the local customs (Handing out Bibles, public dancing, etc.)

Made up cults such as Scientology and Wicca deserve no respect. Not too keen on the radical LDS nonsense either.
Right. And trust me, I hate pressing 1 for English too. I am right there with you on that one. If I could vote on it, English would be becoming the official language this VERY second.

I have no sympathy for the Muslims here either who want to blow us up. I go to school in Dearborn, MI which has the biggest Muslim population in the entire USA. Remember the Fort Hood shootout? There were a bunch of Muslims there who were chanting "Allah Akbar!" and VERY happy about it. They praised HIM (I do not even want to say his name) for being like a martyr and that he did Allahs work. The police were called of course. I am not sure what happened after that.

Many professors tell me that when 9/11 happened they were CRAZY CELEBRATIONS going on. They were all offended of course and asked why they live here if they hate us so much? GOOD QUESTION! Thank GOODNESS I was not there or someone would have beheaded me for all my screaming and telling them to leave!

And I disagree 100 percent with your belittling other faiths just because you THINK they are cults. Wicca, to my knowledge, is a great religion which I have found peace with as well as Hinduism, Sikhism, Christianity and more.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:

As for your second comment, I won't get into a debate about what's real and what isn't as just like the "God isn't real!" debates, it will go nowhere, but I will just say this: Christianity helped form the backbone of Western civilization, in the Byzantine Empire, in the British Empire, in the Spanish Empire, and beyond. Last time Wiccans tried to form anything in this country they got, how do you say "owned".

Which in the end, is irrelevant to the point.

Christanity is as made up as neo-pagan religions.

Doesn't make people that believe in such religions any less of a person, but when it comes down to it, it's all man's word and man's imagination.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So, then, what does one religion's holiday have to do with the United States? We were founded as a melting pot that accepts all races and creeds.

Your argument just doesn't make any sense to me.
You know, as much as modern pro-multiculturalist liberals want to ignore this fact, the United States was founded as a European, Christian nation. Non-Christians were even forbidden from owning property for quite some time. I'd love to throw some of these monkeys in a time machine and have them proclaim their atheism at a time when people were actually willing to kill and die for their values.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with other cultures in their own place, as I've indicated. There are many great Muslim nations with proud traditions. It doesn't mean I would allow them to set foot here, least of all announce their religion.
What the...? "I would not allow them to set foot here"??!?

Where do you live? Certainly not the United States of America. If so, I will pray for you. I've lived surrounded by Muslims and Buddhists and Atheists and many others my entire life. Never once crossed my mind that they shouldn't be allowed to "set foot here".

Are you with the stormfront folks who have been directed to infiltrate this forum?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You know, as much as modern pro-multiculturalist liberals want to ignore this fact, the United States was founded as a European, Christian nation. Non-Christians were even forbidden from owning property for quite some time. I'd love to throw some of these monkeys in a time machine and have them proclaim their atheism at a time when people were actually willing to kill and die for their values.
Not this tired argument again.
"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law." - Thomas Jefferson.

I can assure you, if you study history, our founding fathers most certainly did not create a Christian nation. They fought tooth and nail and specifically left Europe to escape religious-controlled governments in order to create a nation in which people would have the freedom of spirituality. They did believe having some guiding connection to the great mystery was important, which many secularists do not realize, but it had nothing to do with one religion except that's what came over and culturally dominated. Nothing to do with the Constitution.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You know, as much as modern pro-multiculturalist liberals want to ignore this fact, the United States was founded as a European, Christian nation.
No it wasn't.

Quote:
Non-Christians were even forbidden from owning property for quite some time.
I do believe Thomas Jefferson owned some property. Same with Ben Franklin.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:52 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think you've lost your grounding, sir. Western civilization is burning because someone says "Happy Holidays"?

And what does the celebration of one religion's holiday have to do with patriotism to a secular nation?

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of people who don't celebrate Christmas that I encounter on a regular basis. They're no less "Americans" than you or I, but it would be like telling you, "Happy Kwanzaa!" It would make no sense. Why force that on people?
Yes, if you have any questions about why, please read my previous post.

You call it a secular nation. It doesn't make it so. If Germany declared there was no national language, it wouldn't actually make it so, just because the law says one thing. The overwhelming majority of the country is Christian and celebrates Christmas.

Ramadan and Hannukah, while out of place, at least are grounded in major world faiths. It will be a cold day in hell before I wish anyone greetings for some made up joke "holiday" like "Kwanzaa" or feel-good, pro-lesbian, feminist cults such as "Wicca"

Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You call it a secular nation. It doesn't make it so. If Germany declared there was no national language, it wouldn't actually make it so, just because the law says one thing. The overwhelming majority of the country is Christian and celebrates Christmas.
Just because the majority of the people in this coutnry is Christian doesn't make this a Christian Nation.

Quote:
It will be a cold day in hell before I wish anyone greetings for some made up joke "holiday" like "Kwanzaa" or feel-good, pro-lesbian, feminist cults such as "Wicca"
It's funny you say this, because most of the Christian traditions were adapted from older Pagan traditions, which is what Wiccans celebrate.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, if you have any questions about why, please read my previous post.

Ramadan and Hannukah, while out of place, at least are grounded in major world faiths. It will be a cold day in hell before I wish anyone greetings for some made up joke "holiday" like "Kwanzaa" or feel-good, pro-lesbian, feminist cults such as "Wicca"
Don't you have a radio show to get to, Rush?

I'm done here. You've revealed how much of an extremist you are.
I hope the light of Christ someday finds its way into your heart, and you become a Christian in deed, not just name.

God bless. Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies