Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
No one receiving section 8 lives rent free unless they have absolutely no income. Section 8 Tenants pays a percentage of the rent depending on their income. The percentage could be anywhere starting from 30% - 70%. Example: One woman renting an apartment from my parents, her total rent is $1400, her portion is $925 section 8 pays the rest, and by the way this is a tax payer.
.....and a tax recipient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
.....and a tax recipient.

We're all tax recipients in one way or the other. Those on section 8 of course or benefiting from the rental portion.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,178 times
well, section 8 is mostly to help people off there feet .Each city or county has a differen't about they give to each person so u can have a 3 bedroom in say lakewood that cost about 1400.00 a mouth and go to Seattle and it about 2000.00 a month.If the city cost of living is higher then the rent is higher.If the cost of living is small then the rent is small.The ideal reason for it is to put these broken down family into a nice area and hope they get a job in a good place to rise there children and get off section 8.But, there are some people out there that abuse section 8.
Section 8 has saved so many people as if seems unfair to other's .but, if u have really met someone that has gone through living on the street's with there family in a danger area ect. people might understand.If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer them to u.
I also suggust that u move and there are lots of place i know that are nice /okay for cheap that do NOT have drug on the ground ect.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I own rental property, and will never be part of Section 8.

The problem comes down to a simple, yet difficult human condition problem: We do not value that in which we have nothing invested.

Then you add to that the fact that, essentially, Section 8 tenants can never be "disciplined" for destroying property.

No incentive to take care of property, and no incentive to not destroy it. Nothing to lose.
I couldn't agree more. Here in the state of WV there's an inordinate amount of landlords profiting wildly from HUD contracts which stablizes a chronically soft real estate market here. They don't live in the neighborhoods they own, so they don't have to care who they have as tenant so long as the rent is paid. They also don't have to properly maintain the property vs doing the bare minimum to maintain a HUD contract. Entitlement cuts both ways you know. I almost wish local ordinances would get tougher limiting how many HUD/ section 8 housing units could be in a given area because failing to do so undermines the value of legit home owners.

OP, you seem to harbor the illusion that drug use is sanctioned by HUD. Current rules if you receive HUD assistance you're conditionally obliged to provide a sample for drug testing (perhaps this is something post dating jacks career? Not sure why he didn't mention it). Seems to me dropping a dime would be a better investment in cleaning up your neighborhood than whining the belief that others have it so much better than yourself.

The reason the allotments are so high in some areas is because, as you're well aware, the cost of living in places like NJ and NY are excessive relative to low wages. HUD in these states has enabled excessive real estate costs to remain elevated vs the market correcting itself. Same situation with housing allowances for military personnel, the funds are named "BAQ", and local economies have incentive to raise the cost of housing when a military base is nearby. When you look at it there are chiefly two main beneficiaries of this system- the extreme haves and the extreme have nots, but the middle class is carrying the lions share of the load for both ends not just by an artificially high cost of living, but also the fact they're paying for the privilege of wiping the behinds of the very people lowering their property value. I feel that's grossly unfair, but if anyone cares to argue my view I'm wiling to listen.

The reason some parents seek out better neighborhoods is not for upscale living, but shielding their children from bullets on their way to school, which also has bullets. No I didn't enjoy my own room growing up, but I also wasn't expected to share a bedroom with opposite gender because in our values it was inappropriate. Did this change in modern times of fast and loose morals? Presumptions are an elderly lady giving me the middle finger for flashing my high beams at her thinking I was telling her to hurry up when in fact she didn't have her headlights on leaving the parking lot headed for the interstate. Merry Christmas Ma'am.

Care to honestly answer why low income housing= violent crime? That's where violent people shunned by civilization can afford to live and all others suffer their presence. That's why homeless men in genuine need avoid homeless shelters. That's why someone working a 40hr job grossly unpaid for their labors is a far cry from welfare queens. Presuming anyone on HUD/ section 8 is criminal is intellectually dishonest, and anyone using that argument loses all credibility. Try rewording your point.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
We're all tax recipients in one way or the other. Those on section 8 of course or benefiting from the rental portion.
tax payer, tax recipient- I honestly believe if the majority of those on section 8/HUD had the power to decide, they'd opt out of conditional charity in favor of a reasonable wage for the prevailing economy. That's why I can't bad mouth HUD. Thing is, when living wages aren't an obligation for a corporation like WalMart because they cost shift by coaching employees how to work government programs, why can't both sides of the aisle see this behavior as morally repugnant instead of chastizing the poor for being poor?

No matter what, poverty cannot be eradicated because there's always a bottom, but CREATING poverty in our country is a cat of another stripe. There was a time in American history when upwardly mobile was a real possibility for most citizens, but anymore it's all they can do to hold onto what meager standard of living they've earned. Kids are failing to fly the nest later and later in life. This has been going on for decades.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 PM

450 posts, read 502,697 times
For years I have been screaming to anyone who would hear me about how crap Section 8 is and how it totally turns nice neighborhoods and apartments to hoodlum fested ghettos. It completely has destroyed very nice middle class areas from my experiences.

I have one rule and ONE RULE ONLY to fix the Section 8 major issues.
DO NOT ALLOW BLACK PEOPLE TO USE THEM!

I've read this entire thread and I've talked to tons of people about this issue. And I'm going to say what you all are afraid to say....
Only poor civilized black people can destroy middle and upper class sections of towns and SECTION 8 allows them to do it.

I have seen it first hand on so many levels it is hard to comprehend it all.
There are certain areas in my town when I was in college I DREAMED of living in.
For example I recall a gated community that I visited and I said one day I want to live in a place like this. It was really nice. Family oriented, in a great part of town. The property well taken care of, etc....
About 8 years ago this complex began renting to Section 8 tenants and a 90% white community slowly but surely turned into what is now a 95% black community.
And you couldn't pay me PAY me to stay a weekend in that complex.
I am really summarizing but the poor blacks have turned what was a well taken cared of middle class suburb. Into a full fledged ghetto! It is crime and drug ridden. The property looks like something out of a hood movie like boyz in the hood. You see 100 kids throughout the day (even school days) running around unsupervised. Gangs of ppl hanging out around their cars and porches all day long.

Not only has it ruined that neighborhood but also that part of town. Which was a great part of town before all this!
Crime is so bad that they built a police station right across the street!

And like I said this is a tip of the iceberg. Section 8 allow poor and lazy blacks another handout from the Government and perpetuates more abuse to the system. And abuse to our towns and cities.
The hard working Americans who want to live in a decent area and raise a family suffer the most....

Like I said alot of problems in our cities and towns would be resolved if Black people (with their 4 and 5 kids) where BANNED FROM USING SECTION 8....its that simple.

And before someone claims I'm a racist....I'm black.

Last edited by y2flyy; 12-16-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 PM

450 posts, read 502,697 times
Listen I do not want to come off as some raging lunatic, but this is a subject for years I have been passionate about. Alot of blacks (and whites) for that matter, agree totally with what I am saying. But their liberal (politically correct conscious) won't allow them to say it in the manner I am

I know what I am talking about I have lived it over the last decade. I have personally seen very good areas of town RUINED and turned into near ghetto slums as soon as blacks migrated

I have lived in very nice middle class apartments and as soon as blacks migrated to said apartment. It quickly turns into a ghetto. And I get the hell out!
If you all don't believe me I can post the Apartment review site (apartmentratings.com) and link the specific apartments in my city I am talking about. The ppl who anonymously post their reviews say the same exact things I am saying.

I now have 2 basic criteria that I judge an Apartment Complex on before I sign a lease. 1) that they do not rent to Section 8 2) And the complex be majoring Caucasian(preferably 70% and up)

And I do not intend to bash my own people but it is the truth. You could move poor lazy uneducated blacks to Bel-Air or Orange County....and I guarantee you in 2 years these areas would turn into South Central LA, Detroit and New Orleans.

That is what Section 8 does IMO; allows nice, safe, quiet, middle class areas of town to be ruined and turn into crime infested ghettos.

Last edited by y2flyy; 12-16-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 10:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Section 8 housing is government sponsored blockbusting. It's when the best intentions of liberals go awry, as they so often do.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I'm really between on Section 8 and I'm looking for other people's people input on this situation.

First of all, can someone tell me exactly how this works?

My partner and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. We both work fulltime jobs and we make around $70K between the 2 of us. We have 1 car, no kids..and no credit cards. So, at the end of the month we do have disposable money. (A house is planned for the future!)

We are moving when our lease is up, because there is now too much Section 8 here and the crime rate has increased. This isn't some opinion--we SEE cops here more often. We SEE the vandalsim. We SEE the weed bags all over the stairwells. We SEE the human pee in the elevator ()

I hate to generalize, but I'll be looking for places that are strictly no Section 8.

Here's where the debate part is. Why does Section 8 seem to give people so much money? I was looking on Craigslist and this lady posted an ad looking to live in a certain area (where the Section 8 voucher was good for, apparently) and would get $1300 a month for 3 bedrooms. She said she has 2 kids.

I am not against helping people. I am DEF not against helping children--but when is helping out too much? When does it cross the line?

The reason why I ask this is because..well..why should this lady and her kids live in a better and more comfortable apartment? Let's be honest here--would she NEED 3 bedrooms? I don't think so. (BTW, I am not totally focusing on this one chick, as it can refer to anyone). You can answer and say "Well, she HAS 2 kids!"..but do the kids REALLY NEED their own room?

Shouldn't help like this.. be minimal? People need a roof over their heads. They don't NEED to live in gorgeous homes/apartments. Why is there such a feeling/(demand?) of entitlement?

I just think that people whom are in crappy situations should not be living better than people whom are in better situations. How is this fair?

I'm curious as if other people share a similar view, or if I am totally out in the dark on this one.
Maybe you should look up the laws and do your own research before you come to an internet board for discussion.
Yeah, all those poor people should be on the streets; who cares if they don't have anywhere to live.
Screw them, you're having a tough time.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
Listen I do not want to come off as some raging lunatic, but this is a subject for years I have been passionate about. Alot of blacks (and whites) for that matter, agree totally with what I am saying. But their liberal (politically correct conscious) won't allow them to say it in the manner I am

I know what I am talking about I have lived it over the last decade. I have personally seen very good areas of town RUINED and turned into near ghetto slums as soon as blacks migrated

I have lived in very nice middle class apartments and as soon as blacks migrated to said apartment. It quickly turns into a ghetto. And I get the hell out!
If you all don't believe me I can post the Apartment review site (apartmentratings.com) and link the specific apartments in my city I am talking about. The ppl who anonymously post their reviews say the same exact things I am saying.

I now have 2 basic criteria that I judge an Apartment Complex on before I sign a lease. 1) that they do not rent to Section 8 2) And the complex be majoring Caucasian(preferably 70% and up)

And I do not intend to bash my own people but it is the truth. You could move poor lazy uneducated blacks to Bel-Air or Orange County....and I guarantee you in 2 years these areas would have turned into South Central LA, Detroit and New Orleans.

That is what Section 8 does IMO; allows nice, safe, quiet, middle class areas of town to be ruined and turn into crime infested ghettos.
Can you say absentee landlords?
That's the biggest problem I can see.

You can't guarantee that anything is going to go bad unless you're involved in it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies