Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Lets just sit back and let Israel deal with it, it is their problem after all. The Middle East probably wouldn't mind us so much if we didn't have this "support Israel no matter what" mentality.
I agree. Once the parking lot is developed in the Middle East we will have a place to park all those oil tankers. That is a few thousand year later, when it is safe to go to the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Your assuming someone cares about those troops. Maybe they think that they should not have been there in the first place?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Your assuming someone cares about those troops. Maybe they think that they should not have been there in the first place?
Is that not irrelevant? They're there now no matter what anyone thought should have or should happen.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Who's more childlike? The one opposing information to support their ideology or the one that indulges in information so they understand all sides of the situation? You can disagree but don't be ignorant on the vast and numerous sources of information.

Adversaries? I don't know about you but I'm American and we have near 200,000 troops in that location. A head-in-the-sand approach is not a valid argument and in fact is folly.
You know, you did not have to ask that question. All rational thinking adults know the answer already.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That would be quite like Hitler if they did that.

They didn't, so it isn't.
Well, when Hitler had influence they didn't really have a state to "wipe off the face of the map." Ahmadinejad's rhetoric is just the evolution of the same thought process surrounding the product of the environment they're in. You think if the Israeli state was absolved they'd go on about their ways and bring happy happy joy joy to the ME?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Is that not irrelevant? They're there now no matter what anyone thought should have or should happen.
Sorry you misunderstood my point. These same people are so anti-military that the troops would be just an inconvenient after thought.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You forgot 1962.
I think they reason they didn't change the clock during that time period was:
Quote:
For most of the Cold War, overt hostility between the United States and Soviet Union, coupled with their enormous nuclear arsenals, defined the nuclear threat. The U.S. arsenal peaked at about 30,000 warheads in the mid-1960s and the Soviet arsenal at 40,000 warheads in the 1980s, dwarfing all other nuclear weapon states.
Doomsday Clock Overview | Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists

After Hiroshima and Nagasaki, since those were pretty much last resort options and since we willfully backed down and made no efforts to impose our will on the rest of the world, it was clear we had no intentions of taking over the world, at least militarily. I guess arguments can be made for subversion if one thinks they'd rather be under the rule of, let's say, Red China or the Soviets. I fully understand many would rather have lived under those conditions because they still espouse their desire for a Utopian society. Of course they'd have to realize that the Soviets were fighting a war of subversion too.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Exactly WHAT are you questioning and ridiculing?
That it matters to the average American whether Iran has nuclear weapons or not. If we have them, if Israel and India and Pakistan have them, why not Iran? I could give a damn less.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Incredible! Now I've heard it all.
AN IRANIAN NUKE WILL BE GOOD FOR THE WORLD!!?
In Metternich's time it was called a balance of power.

In the Cold War it was called a balance of terror.

It largely worked. Yes, it will be good for the world if it happens.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Well, when Hitler had influence they didn't really have a state to "wipe off the face of the map."
There are more Jews in the United States (6,500,000) than in Israel (4,950,000).

Quote:
Ahmadinejad's rhetoric is just the evolution of the same thought process surrounding the product of the environment they're in. You think if the Israeli state was absolved they'd go on about their ways and bring happy happy joy joy to the ME?
No. Israel isn't the only cause of problems in the ME, but they are an unnecessary one, and more to the point, they are the cause of MY country's constant embroilment in that region. So screw 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies