U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,936,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Does it?
Of course it does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,846,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Virtually every state, whether run by dems or reps has to make cuts and that includes education. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

I think that these cuts indicate that education is not as important as balancing the budget and making yourself look good is. Dem and Rep leaders are looking for future career moves than out for the residents of their states

Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I think that these cuts indicate that education is not as important as balancing the budget and making yourself look good is.
So let's see, republicans Govs are also making cuts to education in their respective states.

What exactly does that say about them?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,825,393 times
Quote:
The more I think about this issue, the harder I laugh. I really can't recall the last time conservatives gave a flippin rip about Washington DC.
Huh?

Explain your "conservatives," "give a flippin rip," and "about Washington DC" link.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,846,475 times
Quote:
So let's see, republicans Govs are also making cuts to education in their respective states.

What exactly does that say about them?

The same as it says about Dem governors. I was making the point at first that Dems don't care about education in this country any more than Reps do

Of course, Dems do try and act like they make education a huge priority so it makes them look a little worse than Reps when they make huge cuts...

Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
The same as it says about Dem governors. I was making the point at first that Dems don't care about education in this country any more than Reps do

Of course, Dems do try and act like they make education a huge priority so it makes them look a little worse than Reps when they make huge cuts...
Dems and republicans have different views on what supporting education means.This much is true.

In general, teachers prefer the Dems methods. Now one can take from that of course that the majority of teachers are in fact liberal. So there is bias there.

Republicans want to use federal money to subsidize private education. Dems want federal money to support public education.

Since the majority of schools are public, and the majority of teachers are liberal, you can easily guess why teachers don't agree with you.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,478,120 times
Quote:
In general, teachers prefer the Dems methods. Now one can take from that of course that the majority of teachers are in fact liberal. So there is bias there.
Both of those are baseless claims. Care to share your methods of research and or data that brought you to that conclusion? Most teachers I know are apolitical, or at least show a correlation between what they teach and their political views (if any). For example, a math, economics, history, or business teacher/professor would obviously hold more Conservative views, while language, art, music, or possibly social studies instructors tend to be more Liberal. Of course, that is merely what I have experienced, as teachers who entered these specific fields probably studied under like-minded instructors at their college.

Quote:
Since the majority of schools are public, and the majority of teachers are Liberal, you can easily guess why teachers don't agree with you.
Not sure what exactly they would be agree on, other than the fact that schools need more money. I believe all teachers would gladly lobby for more money towards education, as most increases in education funding include teacher pay raises.

The whole issue of private schooling and vouchers goes back to failing public schools. There is no reason to ruin a students future in a failing public school when they have the opportunity to go private. Democrats argue that subsidizing such education in private schools makes public schools even worse. The problem we have now dates to the mid-90s; Decent schools receive additional funding, while failing schools receive funding cuts.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,825,393 times
Quote:
Dems and republicans have different views on what supporting education means.This much is true.

Republicans want to use federal money to subsidize private education. Dems want federal money to support public education.

Since the majority of schools are public, and the majority of teachers are liberal, you can easily guess why teachers don't agree with you.
You left out a major benefactor: Unions

Democrats are notoriously pro-union. As such, if the union balks, Democrats choke. Thus, education dollars are inextricably tied to union activity. If the NEA all of sudden supported charter schools, then Democrats would all of a sudden find it reasonable to provide scholarships to needy children.

It appears that Democrats have completely fooled you with their intent. It's not as noble as you would make it out to be.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 PM

4,830 posts, read 6,381,493 times
Quote:
Conservatives suggesting that liberals don't support education...

This place is great for comedy if nothing else.
Liberals do support public schools but is that any place to get an education? Education is not about money but about taking the average, the best and brightest and giving them the best education possible. That is not what our public school system of today is about and most people know that.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Both of those are baseless claims. Care to share your methods of research and or data that brought you to that conclusion? Most teachers I know are apolitical, or at least show a correlation between what they teach and their political views (if any). For example, a math, economics, history, or business teacher/professor would obviously hold more Conservative views, while language, art, music, or possibly social studies instructors tend to be more Liberal. Of course, that is merely what I have experienced, as teachers who entered these specific fields probably studied under like-minded instructors at their college.
I've sold directly to schools and been involved with schools for years. Anecdotal evidence based solely upon my experience and a wide range of experience in working with k12 teachers, administrators as well major colleges of education lead me to the conclusion that the majority of teachers are in fact liberal, while the majority of administrators are oddly enough conservative.

Now having said all that...

Quote:
NEA found that 45 percent of teachers are Democrats, 28 percent are Republicans, and 27 percent have no party affiliation in 2000.
What percent of teachers are liberal | ChaCha Answers

And then there's this... (This guy's a libertarian by the way)

Quote:
Then step back into the real world, where academia has become a solid bastion of the Left, as demonstrated by two articles in the latest issue of the scholarly journal Current Review. One article presents a survey of academic social scientists that reports that 79.6 percent of 1,208 respondents said they voted mostly Democratic over the last 10 years, with 9.3 percent voting Republican.
And from the same article

Quote:
A second article studied the voter registration of California college professors and found that the ratio of registered Democrats to Republicans (among professors located in voting registers) is 5 to 1. Let it be noted that the researchers made an effort to include schools reputed to be right-leaning. Some disciplines demonstrated more orthodoxy than others -- with sociology departments showing a ratio of 44 Democrats to 1 Republican, but economics departments employing 2.8 Democrats for each member of the GOP.
Jeffrey Alan Miron: The Liberal "Bias" in Academia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies