U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 1,936,850 times
Reputation: 538

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Liberals do support public schools but is that any place to get an education?

For the vast majority of Americans, yes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 1,936,850 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You left out a major benefactor: Unions

Democrats are notoriously pro-union. As such, if the union balks, Democrats choke. Thus, education dollars are inextricably tied to union activity. If the NEA all of sudden supported charter schools, .

The NEA will never support charter schools. It's a baseless argument.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: California
32,255 posts, read 35,620,747 times
Reputation: 28116
Don't care. Throwing lots of money at schools is a waste.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,473,324 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You left out a major benefactor: Unions

Democrats are notoriously pro-union. As such, if the union balks, Democrats choke. Thus, education dollars are inextricably tied to union activity. If the NEA all of sudden supported charter schools, then Democrats would all of a sudden find it reasonable to provide scholarships to needy children.

It appears that Democrats have completely fooled you with their intent. It's not as noble as you would make it out to be.
Not to get in the middle of a love fest, but many democrats are strong supporters of charter schools. In the District of Columbia there are many. Unfortunately they don't seem reliably to produce better results than the public schools. In New York City, another democratic stronghold, the charter school program seems to be working better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
 
23,837 posts, read 20,826,706 times
Reputation: 9389
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The NEA will never support charter schools. It's a baseless argument.
That was my point. Democrats are in unison with the NEA. Thus, your argument that liberals/Democrats are pro-education should actually re-tuned to say that Democrats are for whatever the NEA is pushing. That would be more accurate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,830 posts, read 6,381,738 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
For the vast majority of Americans, yes.
The vast majority voted for Obama. So much for the vast majority and their credibility.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
 
23,837 posts, read 20,826,706 times
Reputation: 9389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Not to get in the middle of a love fest, but many democrats are strong supporters of charter schools. In the District of Columbia there are many. Unfortunately they don't seem reliably to produce better results than the public schools. In New York City, another democratic stronghold, the charter school program seems to be working better.
You are right, charter schools in DC are not reliable yet; however, they have made productive strides and are heads and tails above the typical DC public school, particularly those East of the River. If a charter school is failing, then pull the schools' charter. For those schools that are excelling, continue to provide funding for under-privileged children.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,661 posts, read 5,301,226 times
Reputation: 2802
Fewer humans = fewer poor people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,473,324 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You are right, charter schools in DC are not reliable yet; however, they have made productive strides and are heads and tails above the typical DC public school, particularly those East of the River. If a charter school is failing, then pull the schools' charter. For those schools that are excelling, continue to provide funding for under-privileged children.
The highlighted section is just a lie. But the charter program has the strong support of the democratic government of the District, which exposes another Republican lie.

How about an example of a successful charter school program in a Republican city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 03:16 PM
 
23,837 posts, read 20,826,706 times
Reputation: 9389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The highlighted section is just a lie. But the charter program has the strong support of the democratic government of the District, which exposes another Republican lie.

How about an example of a successful charter school program in a Republican city.
We could tit-for-tat all day along about this city or that city, but you have to admit that there is a reason for the popularity of charter schools in DC - which is, because DC Public Schools suck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top