Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 11:21 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times

Advertisements

What happens if you get a bill that would help lower drug prices and get members of both parties to support.

You'd get the FDA to oppose it.

With co-sponsors from both parties, Sen. Byron Dorgon's bill to allow importation of drugs from other countries, that were exported from FDA approved plants in the US.

The Co-sponsors
Mark Begich [D-AK]
Jeff Bingaman [D-NM]
Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
Sherrod Brown [D-OH]
Robert Casey [D-PA]
Susan Collins [R-ME]
Kent Conrad [D-ND]
Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Russell Feingold [D-WI]
Charles Grassley [R-IA]
Daniel Inouye [D-HI]
Tim Johnson [D-SD]
Edward Kennedy [D-MA]
John Kerry [D-MA]
Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
Herbert Kohl [D-WI]
Patrick Leahy [D-VT]
Carl Levin [D-MI]
Blanche Lincoln [D-AR]
John McCain [R-AZ]
Claire McCaskill [D-MO]
Bill Nelson [D-FL]
Bernard Sanders [I-VT]
Jeanne Shaheen [D-NH]
Olympia Snowe [R-ME]
Arlen Specter [D-PA]
Debbie Ann Stabenow [D-MI]
Jon Tester [D-MT]
John Thune [R-SD]

When it comes to a vote, it will be very clear who has been bought and paid for on something that would lower prices we pay (by estimates) by billions. (Of course the FDA, has been for years a puppet of the industry it is supposed to be watching)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Of the Bush-era policies I disagreed with most, it was the prohibition of re-importation and the inability for the government to negotiate drug prices. I don't use a single prescription drug, but the mere thought of such policies still makes me steam to this day.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Of the Bush-era policies I disagreed with most, it was the prohibition of re-importation and the inability for the government to negotiate drug prices. I don't use a single prescription drug, but the mere thought of such policies still makes me steam to this day.
Something I can agree with you on.........

Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually Medicare and Medicaid do use the power of government to negotiate drug prices. And clearly you don't have any problem with other countries--Canada, for instance--ripping off American drug companies. "Re-importation" means exactly that. Canada denies American drug manufacturers the right to sell their products to Canadians unless they are heavily discounted. That's a form of trade warfare. So American drug companies expend vast resources to develop and bring a drug to market and the Canadians get the benefit of that R&D and marketing for very little in return. So who pays the freight for these freeloaders? You guessed it--the American consumer. Now you (and those senators you listed) want to extend the scam to allow the American consumer to rip off the drug companies, as well. That approach was tried in Europe with the result that there are very few drug companies left in Europe and very few new drugs being brought to market by the Europeans. So let's kill off the drug industry in the U.S., too. The same industry that has created the drugs we now take for granted but which have improved the lives of people in this country and the world over. That's the way to go. We'll let government develop our new drugs and see how far that takes us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies