Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wonder what kind of bonuses The Examiner handed out. Maybe I'll file an FOIA request. Oh wait...that only works for public entities. Too bad...the greed, incompetence, and corruption in the private sector would make for some fine fodder in CD-land...
Since you live in the area and in a better position to know, are you saying DC officials did such a good job of governing and serving their constituents that they deserved those bonuses?

If so, fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
I wonder what kind of bonuses The Examiner handed out. Maybe I'll file an FOIA request. Oh wait...that only works for public entities. Too bad...the greed, incompetence, and corruption in the private sector would make for some fine fodder in CD-land...
More chatter from a government employee. Who would have thought that a government employee would have no problem with a government giving a government employee a raise while everyone else struggles? Wow that is a news story.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Since you live in the area and in a better position to know, are you saying DC officials did such a good job of governing and serving their constituents that they deserved those bonuses?

If so, fine.
I live in DC and I'm happy that the mayor installed a bonus system. Let's put things in perspective, the writer claims that DC paid $15 million in bonuses since 2007. That about $5 million per year. DC budget is about $12 Billion per year. So the District pays out 0.04% of its budget as bonuses. Looks way too small to me.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I live in DC and I'm happy that the mayor installed a bonus system. Let's put things in perspective, the writer claims that DC paid $15 million in bonuses since 2007. That about $5 million per year. DC budget is about $12 Billion per year. So the District pays out 0.04% of its budget as bonuses. Looks way too small to me.
Then as a constiuent, lobby to get them increased.

As long as I, as a NJ resident, am not footing the bill, go for it.

Again, not living there, I don't know what the bonus recipients did to make DC a better place to inhabit.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Then as a constiuent, lobby to get them increased. As long as I'm not footing the bill, go for it.

Again, not living there, I don't know what the bonus recipients did to make DC a better place to inhabit.
I don't either but I know the mayor and ever since he was a newbie on the city council has worked to make the city government more responsive to the citizens. Many years ago private industry realized that "pay for performance" is a very cost effective way to administer a salary plan.

I don't pay more taxes due to bonuses, I pay less.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Then as a constiuent, lobby to get them increased.

As long as I, as a NJ resident, am not footing the bill, go for it.

Michelle Rhee, the schools director, is the only person that may deserve a bonus, since schools have improved under her leadership. The problem is, she received a $41,000 bonus two months after she started in 2007, but we're just now seeing the benefits of her expertise. Good thing she's actually earned her money. Most of the money doled out in this town goes to waste. There are many, many examples of this in the paper nearly everyday. See how it works in DC? That's Democratic policy through and through.

Did you get a $41,000 bonus two months after you were hired? I sure didn't.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
Quote:
Once again, this is illogical at best.

Governments are not privately ran businesses. Governments are ALLOWED to run a budget in the red... forever. Governments are able to raise taxes with the stroke of a pen which provides more capital. Governments have distinct and outlined responsibilities to serve those it governs.

Private business which hand out bonuses and cant afford to fail. They go bankrupt. Or at least they should, until government started sticking their noses in the mess. Eitheway though, your comparison of bonuses for government employees with their private sector counterparts are ill-founded and illogical.

You would be better off comparing them to a private sector condominium board of directors or a not-for-profit grant based organization than to try and compare them to a for-profit business.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And so many of them post on CD.
That's the truly pathetic part.

No matter how often you dispel the bs, they come back at you with the same.
Cheap shots at the end of the day are..... still cheap.

Debate your principles against logical dissent not cheap slander, or just be quiet.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Are you considering their operating budget, or strictly their overhead for salaries?

Do they really have 12 Billion outlays for overhead salary a year? I don't think so.

That is the number you need to use to evaluate bonus percentages.

Otherwise, we can just take total budget expenditures for private sector companies and use that to justify CEO bonuses. Being that most of the CEOs who recieve large bonuses work for world-wide companies with huge amounts of outlays, there should be no gripping about the amount of their bonus.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Since you live in the area and in a better position to know, are you saying DC officials did such a good job of governing and serving their constituents that they deserved those bonuses? If so, fine.
Living in the area doesn't entitle people to review DC employees' personnel files, so I could hardly comment on any of the actual bonuses. I'll say a couple of things, though. First, the DC government overall has come a long way over recent years, and it is encouraging to see the feds adopting more and more of a hands-off approach and letting the city go ahead and function as a city. Second, the idea of performance bonuses can be a useful one. A bonus pool of $5 million per year lets me give $1000 to 5,000 people, and the city has about 35,000 employees, so that would work out to one in seven or so. If I could live with one in ten, I could give $1000 to 3,000 people, then split the other $2 million between 500 people, which would be an average of $4K per person for them. I could maybe live with that, but in comparison to the bonus plans at many private sector entities with 35,000 employees, I think this is still going to be kind of small potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies