Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,248,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
...and our soldiers are killing them on the battlefield. Your situation is a red herring since their execution is not torture for information. You cannot simply ship people around the world and torture them the way you'd like. Nope.

What if the detained is not really an enemy? Now you've made 10 more enemies as a result of this innocent's death.

So, are you on the enemies side of things?

How do you know they are NOT?

Ship who around the world?

Also, provide proof anyone was ever tortured?

Then look up how many attacks were stopped against Americans by the interrogation they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
So, are you on the enemies side of things?
That's a silly question.

Quote:
How do you know they are NOT?
I guess we should be like "them"? Well, those who hate America wouldn't mind...

Quote:
Ship who around the world?
Captured terrorists and those suspected of being terrorists.

Quote:
Also, provide proof anyone was ever tortured?
Abu Grahab.

Quote:
Then look up how many attacks were stopped against Americans by the interrogation they did.
You can stop all attacks in America by simply suspending the Bill of Rights. We'd all be safe and sound then.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM

24,454 posts, read 33,138,797 times
Quote:
It was "ok by you". Whether it's ok by you or not means nothing, no offense. It is as irrelevant as asking whether it's "alright by me" that your personal property be confiscated. There are rules of warfare with regards to prisoners and they will be followed.
I think you misread what I wrote. I said interrogating captured enemy terrorists is okay by me. Especially if any information they reveal while being interrogated makes the country safer and more secure.

The rules of warfare do not necessarily apply to terrorists not fighting in uniform.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Abu Grahab.
First, those responsible faced court-martial, it was not official U.S. policy.

Second, it wasn't "torture," it was mistreatment. Something you seem to forget... the terrorists are the bad guys! Not the U.S.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think you misread what I wrote. I said interrogating captured enemy terrorists is okay by me. Especially if any information they reveal while being interrogated makes the country more safer and more secure.

The rules of warfare do not necessarily apply to terrorists not fighting in uniform.
I think that's just a convenient excuse to do what you want to the enemy. What about those who weren't trying to blend into the population, battled with our soldiers, then surrendered? If we allow for this exception, we can just chuck anyone in that category at our convenience.

Safety and security take a backseat to the principles of the republic. Put on your big girl panties and grow a pair.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
First, those responsible faced court-martial, it was not official U.S. policy.

Second, it wasn't "torture," it was mistreatment. Something you seem to forget... the terrorists are the bad guys! Not the U.S.
The terrorists are the bad guys, of course. I have no objection to eliminating them on the battlefield. It is when they are captured I find the objection.

I LOVE debating RINOs.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
The terrorists are the bad guys, of course. I have no objection to eliminating them on the battlefield. It is when they are captured I find the objection.

I LOVE debating RINOs.
Who is the RINO? I am a fiscal (and social) conservative.

You don't mind if they are killed on the battlefield but are concerned about their conditions when they are captured? What would YOU do with them when captured?

And I actually agree... killing them on the battlefield would stop a lot of the whining by those who think we shouldn't detain them.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

160 posts, read 161,072 times
Quote:
I think that's just a convenient excuse to do what you want to the enemy. What about those who weren't trying to blend into the population, battled with our soldiers, then surrendered? If we allow for this exception, we can just chuck anyone in that category at our convenience.

Safety and security take a backseat to the principles of the republic. Put on your big girl panties and grow a pair.
safety and security do not in any way shape or form take a backseat to anything. Without safety and security you will have no principles to uphold.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Who is the RINO? I am a fiscal (and social) conservative.
Social conservative values are inherently leftist if they involve government interference in citizens' lives. Your policies certainly are RINO. A Newt and Giuliani RINO quality to them.

Quote:
You don't mind if they are killed on the battlefield but are concerned about their conditions when they are captured? What would YOU do with them when captured?
Same as we did for German POWs.

Quote:
And I actually agree... killing them on the battlefield would stop a lot of the whining by those who think we shouldn't detain them.
Can't agree more. Keep in mind killing an innocent usually spawns 10 new bad guys. At some point, it becomes even overwhelms our military might.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
safety and security do not in any way shape or form take a backseat to anything. Without safety and security you will have no principles to uphold.
Exactly. It is amazing (and ridiculous) what some people post on this board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies