Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:30 PM

160 posts, read 161,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I followed along just nicely with the video.. It seems you are the one challenged. Lets go to the transcript as you say..

Yep, we're following along so far.. but you are ignoring the fact that cars.gov is for DEALERS use to submit information to the government.. THAT WAS ITS PURPOSE.

Nothing you stated disputes what Beck said.. NOTHING.. Did the website say this? YES, did it say it in relationship to consumers, or dealers?

Cars.gov Terms of Service: What Glenn Beck Gets Right and Wrong | Electronic Frontier Foundation
While this language was accessible only by registered dealers, and not the public (and has apparently now been removed), it nevertheless is a shocking example of the kind of problems that can come with click-through agreements written by faceless lawyers and basically imposed on the rest of us. No one should ever try to force you to "agree" that accessing a government website turns your computer into a government computer or gives up your privacy rights in the other contents of your computer.

Consumers went to the site to find dealers that offered C4C, but they NEVER had to go through a disclaimer language because they couldnt/wouldnt be the ones who SIGN IN!!!

Only a fool could translate this into an argument over if this was seen by consumers or not because the fact doesnt change that if a dealer signed onto the website through their home computer, the disclaimer said the computer was the property of the government. If a dealer signed onto the website from the dealership, the computer became property of the government. THATS WHAT THE DISCLAIMER SAID, and its a VERY valid issue regardless if you are the consumer or a dealer.

Why on gods earth are you only concerned about this if it was a consumer language? Dealers having to concent to such things isnt shocking to you?
They are going through their death throws, they want to be right so damn bad and prove Beck lied about something that they will compromise their integrity to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
I followed along just nicely with the video.. It seems you are the one challenged. Lets go to the transcript as you say..
Let's ... once again.
Here is Cars.gov. Let’s say you go in. If I understand this right, I go in and I say, "I want to turn in my clunker."

The dealer goes to Cars.gov, and then they hit "submit transaction." Here it says "privacy act and security statement," and it’s like, oh, it’s the Privacy Act of 1974. Whatever. I agree.
First Beck says "Let's say you go in" - who is the "you" that Beck is talking about? It's NOT the dealer, not at that point anyway, because in the next breath Beck says "I go in and say 'I want to turn in my clunker' ".

But then he pulls the ol' bait-and-switch, and starts talking about the dealer. He sets it up like this "frightening" warning is something that everyone wanting to turn in a clunker will see, and that is a TOTAL lie.

Quote:
Nothing you stated disputes what Beck said.. NOTHING.. Did the website say this? YES, did it say it in relationship to consumers, or dealers?
Dealers only ... but Beck's deception continued. Back to the transcript (this is after he has shown the warning that only dealers saw):
GUILFOYLE: Could it be any more broad and frightening? Here you are trying to be a good citizen and make a charitable contribution, do something that’s good — and guess what? They are jumping right inside you, seizing all of your personal and private.
BECK: Yes.
Again, Beck has shown the dealer's warning, but they are still talking about it as if it was directed at the general public.
GOLDBERG: Because it says that the government — your computer is a government’s property.
BECK: That’s — wait, wait, wait. That’s correct?
GUILFOYLE: One hundred percent correct. It’s legal. There is nothing that you can do about it.
BECK: If you log on to this at your home.
GUILFOYLE: Right.
BECK: . everything in your home is now theirs?
GUILFOYLE: Basically, and there’s nothing you can do.
Quote:
Consumers went to the site to find dealers that offered C4C, but they NEVER had to go through a disclaimer language because they couldnt/wouldnt be the ones who SIGN IN!!!
Yes, that's what I've been saying. Beck sets it up as if YOU, sitting in your home, access the cars.gov website to find out about turning in your clunker ... but then Beck pulls out the display that only the dealer can see.

Quote:
Why on gods earth are you only concerned about this if it was a consumer language? Dealers having to concent to such things isnt shocking to you?
That's a totally separate issue, but yes, if I had been a car dealer participating in this program, you can believe that I would have been in someone's face about it.

But that's not Beck's lie. Beck appears to be upset about the warning - absolutely. But everything he and the other clowns on his show say, before and after showing the warning, is about the general public, and not the dealer. In fact, Beck said the word "dealer" only once. Had he been concerned about the rights of dealers in all of this, he certainly would have said dealer more times than just once.

Again, he deliberately deceived his audience as follows:
Here is Cars.gov. Let’s say you go in. If I understand this right, I go in and I say, "I want to turn in my clunker." {as a customer}

The dealer goes to Cars.gov, and then they hit "submit transaction." {the only time the dealer is mentioned}

Here it says "privacy act and security statement," and it’s like, oh, it’s the Privacy Act of 1974. Whatever. I agree. {back as a customer}
I can't show it any clearer than that.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
With every posting of yours, I've come to question if you have a clue wtf you are talking about.
Some people have an allergic reaction to fact and reason. Perhaps you should seek treatment.

Quote:
Beck was not lying, if he was, then why did they change the wording?
They changed the wording so that they could say that they changed the wording in an attempt to undo the damage done among some parts of the population though Beck's deliberately deceitful discouragement of people simply learning about the program. It is meanwhile a simple fact that if you actually connect to a federal computer system -- as DEALERS would need to do -- your computer is and will be seen as part of a federally-owned computer network. Commands may be executed to cause cookies or other files to be written to your hard drive. Connections to upload appropriate files while blocking any potentially harmful files may be made. Clicking on Continue is your consent to such things, all of which are actually harmless.

Beck and his two idiot cohorts are meanwhile playing all this up as some sort of threat to anyone visting the site, even though they know the assertion to be completely false. "I recommend, America, that you do NOT try this at home..." Who is he kidding? Does he believe that his audience is only car dealers, or is he simply engaged in deliberate flat-out partisan deception and fear-mongering? What a piece of worthless trash he is...

Last edited by saganista; 12-15-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Some people have an allergic reaction to fact and reason. Perhaps you should seek treatment.

They changed the wording so that they could say that they changed the wording in an attempt to undo the damage done among some parts of the population though Beck's deliberately deceitful discouragement of their simply learning about the program. It is meanwhile a simple fact that if you connect to a federal computer system -- as DEALERS would need to do -- your computer is and will be seen as part of a federally-owned computer network. Commands may be executed to cause cookies or other files to be written to your hard drive. Connections to upload appropriate files while blocking any potentially harmful files may be made. Clicking on Continue is your consent to such things, all of which are actually harmless.

Beck and his two idiot cohorts are meanwhile playing all this up as some sort of threat to anyone visting the site, even though they know the assertion to be completely false. "I recommend, America, that you do NOT try this at home..." Who is he kidding? Does he believe that his audience is only car dealers, or is he simply engaged in deliberate flat-out partisan deception and fear-mongering? What a piece of worthless trash he is...
Let me let you in on something. When you make an HTTP connection to a server, you are NOT in ANYWAY considered part of that network. HTTP connections are NOT persistent like a straight up TCP or UDP connection. You fail here... There was no reason to even have the disclaimer UNLESS they were planning on doing some data mining. You know, SPYWARE! You don't have to warn people about cookies, it is the most common method used for maintaining your session while you are logged into the site.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Let me let you in on something. When you make an HTTP connection to a server, you are NOT in ANYWAY considered part of that network. HTTP connections are NOT persistent like a straight up TCP or UDP connection. You fail here... There was no reason to even have the disclaimer UNLESS they were planning on doing some data mining. You know, SPYWARE! You don't have to warn people about cookies, it is the most common method used for maintaining your session while you are logged into the site.
HTTP pages request text from a server that is then sent and displayed locally by the browser. In some cases, server-side rendering may be done first. The CARS.gov system FOR DEALERS established a password-protected 2-way logged-in connection to a government server similar to what telecommuters use to gain access to their secure networks. They see a privacy screen as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
HTTP pages request text from a server that is then sent and displayed locally by the browser. In some cases, server-side rendering may be done first. The CARS.gov system FOR DEALERS established a password-protected 2-way logged-in connection to a government server similar to what telecommuters use to gain access to their secure networks. They see a privacy screen as well.
eh,,,,it's called secure socket layer. It's a secure form of HTTP (HTTPS). Still not considered part of the network. Again, there was no reason for the warning unless they planned on doing some data mining. How come banks and other secure sites don't display this warning?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
They are going through their death throws, they want to be right so damn bad and prove Beck lied about something that they will compromise their integrity to do so.
Agreed. It's not about the truth it's about wanting to be right. It's not just the lefties, the right is guilty of it also.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:01 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
HTTP connections are NOT persistent like a straight up TCP or UDP connection.

Well, yeah... actually, almost all HTTP implementations run on top of TCP. And HTTP is an application-layer protocol, so the comparison is pretty silly. Since when was UDP persistent, anyway?

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 12-15-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Too many "anyways"

Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM

631 posts, read 720,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, yeah... actually, almost all HTTP implementations run on top of TCP. And HTTP is an application-layer protocol, so the comparison is pretty silly. Since when was UDP persistent, anyway?

good point.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:17 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
You cant be this thick... Individuals turning in their clunkers are not the ones who logged onto the system...
Of course not, but it is what Beck tried to imply, for example his whole bs of do not try this at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies