Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hey now, not fair!!!!! Those of us who remember the phrase "don't trust anyone over thirty" now have kids older than that!!! And people say life doesn't have a sense of humor!!!
Yikes! That reminds me - my 'kids' are all pushing 40!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Seriously, (and I'm not mocking you b/c we all have our own pet peeves - but I'm just surprised) of all the problems in the world, you have issues with this? So I suppose you'd be offended by "Xmas" too? Or "Cupid's Day", or "St. Patty's Day"? And how about a text that I got, which started with "Gobble-Gobble!!" Would you have a heart attack? lol.

Let me present another perspective. Most of us who say it are not lefties, nor heathens, nor punks. For those of us who say it, imho, these things are often just another way of saying things, often a cuter way or creative way. Personally, I say both things and everything else under the sun b/c I get tired of always saying the same thing. When I write Xmas cards, I never just sign my name nor do I say the same generic phrase. Each card is slightly different, I like to mix it up "Happy Holidays/Merry Xmas/Christmas/Santa Day/Happy Festivus", etc. Obviously, the words i choose depends on the audience b/c I wouldn't use "Santa Day" with a religious person, lol!
I don't think anyone saying Turkey Day means to be disrespectful, nor are they intentionally mutilating the English language. Most of my friends who say these things are intelligent and well mannered professionals.
I hope knowing this may make it less annoying to all you.
So that I don't offend anyone in this thread, "Happy holidays and Best wishes for a Happpy New Year!" *<8D
Since I didn't post it, I can't be positive, but I think the OP was making fun of another thread, having to do with being 'offended' by "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas".

Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 PM

190 posts, read 210,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Since I didn't post it, I can't be positive, but I think the OP was making fun of another thread, having to do with being 'offended' by "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas".
Well, more trying to apply some levity than actually making fun of them, but yes.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hey now, not fair!!!!! Those of us who remember the phrase "don't trust anyone over thirty" now have kids older than that!!! And people say life doesn't have a sense of humor!!!
I am an old hippie and the advice is just as good today....don't trust anyone over 30....

or under 30....

I was up all night ...so disturbed by the War on Thanksgiving that I couldn't sleep.....so today I'll concentrate on the demise of civilization becasue of the forgotten words of the Pilgrims.....

Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Seriously, (and I'm not mocking you b/c we all have our own pet peeves - but I'm just surprised) of all the problems in the world, you have issues with this? So I suppose you'd be offended by "Xmas" too? Or "Cupid's Day", or "St. Patty's Day"? And how about a text that I got, which started with "Gobble-Gobble!!" Would you have a heart attack? lol.

Let me present another perspective. Most of us who say it are not lefties, nor heathens, nor punks. For those of us who say it, imho, these things are often just another way of saying things, often a cuter way or creative way. Personally, I say both things and everything else under the sun b/c I get tired of always saying the same thing. When I write Xmas cards, I never just sign my name nor do I say the same generic phrase. Each card is slightly different, I like to mix it up "Happy Holidays/Merry Xmas/Christmas/Santa Day/Happy Festivus", etc. Obviously, the words i choose depends on the audience b/c I wouldn't use "Santa Day" with a religious person, lol!
I don't think anyone saying Turkey Day means to be disrespectful, nor are they intentionally mutilating the English language. Most of my friends who say these things are intelligent and well mannered professionals.
I hope knowing this may make it less annoying to all you.
So that I don't offend anyone in this thread, "Happy holidays and Best wishes for a Happpy New Year!" *<8D
Eh, the OP was being sarcastic... I think. At least most of us here picked up on that right away.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
It's all Bush's fault and now we have to clean up the mess.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
Damn hippies.
I often have pizza on "Turkey Day". And I don't give any "thanks" that day--I usually don't speak to anyone.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post

My bad! I'm new to this site. So how can I tell if the OP was referencing another thread? Is there a way to tell?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
My bad! I'm new to this site. So how can I tell if the OP was referencing another thread? Is there a way to tell?
I only recognized it for what it was because I had been a participant in the other thread, which has since been closed because it was drifting too far off topic. The only way to tell if a new thread is satirical is experience - the longer you are here, the better you get to 'know' the other posters, the easier it gets to recognize satire from them. And welcome to the forum. This place can get ugly at times, but I find lots of info here as well. The links some use in their posts have often led me to more and more research into many different issues I likely would never have thought about if I wasn't here.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,214 times
Quote:
Welcome! I'm new too but I read a lot of the threads & after awhile you get to know the tone of certain people's posts. I don't know everyone, just the ones who post alot. You'll catch on soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies