Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,768 times

Advertisements

Just wondering!

Why can't people just argue intelligently and rationally? Is it because they don't know how to?

Sure someone's viewpoint might seem ridiculous to you, if not horrendous, but they deserve respect just the same, even as you argue against it.

Do you think you resort to belittling or putdowns or attacks when you respond to a thread you dislike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Sorry to disagree with you, but not everyone who posts here is deserving of respect. For instance, posters who are disabused of false notions, but steadfastly continue to spew the same debunked lies don't deserve even a modicum of respect, and I flat out refuse to give them any. I actually think it can be dangerous to respect all opinions, or even to treat all opinions as if they were worthy of reasoned debate. Not all opinions are created equally but oppositely. Some of them are just crap.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i dont know but i used to be 6 ft tall with a full head of hair before i started posting.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-14-2009 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 PM

31 posts, read 35,062 times
Why? Because it's fun. There are some folks on here who are clearly in need of psych meds, a boot in the arse, or AA. Several posters win the trifecta.

The opinions of uninformed raving lunatics deserve to be aired; they do not merit serious consideration.

2+2=14. I demand you respect my unique and insightful approach to math, which I learned when I left mainstream media with their "textbooks" and "theories" to dive into the wonderful world of Internet blogs!!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Why do people resort to belittling if they disagree?
It's a way to feel superior without having to do any mental heavy lifting.

Sort of like stuffing one's self into a small, tight girdle rather than exercising and then pointing out
all of the fat people.

Last edited by doc1; 12-15-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I just put them on ignore if they bother me, and that solves the problem.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 PM

190 posts, read 210,381 times
I have to admit that I tend to forget that I'm not always talking to people around my own age on message boards like this.

I actually have friends on different sides of he political spectrum and, while sometimes the conversations get heated, we typically "agree to disagree" and go vote however we choose.

Although I might disagree vehemently, I would never lash out, taunt, or be as sarcastic to a person significantly younger or older than I am in person (and I probably wouldn't make some of the same off-color jokes).

I hope that doesn't sound age-ist in any way, but it boils down to the anonymity, people making assumptions about who they are talking to (or just having no idea), and being less inhibited than they would be in in-person conversations (which I guess that has its upside, too).

Sadly, our media and popular culture have also degenerated to base name calling and really lowering the bar of national political discourse.

Has anyone seen the movie "Network?" It's a classic: ("I'm mad as hell and I can't take it anymore!")

That movie was produced in 1976 and envisioned a downward spiral in the news media and the interests that control them. Sadly, I think we've surpassed that point.

I'm not sure it's just the United States media, either; this seems to be a global trend.

I'm digressing, but I think the tone the media set influences how we perceive and discuss politics.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Sometimes it's fun to light fuses just to see what blows up.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Sometimes it's fun to light fuses just to see what blows up.
True. I admit I've done it a couple of times just to push buttons. I've also had it done to me on a gay issue. The poster admitted it later on. I laughed. He really had me wound up. It was good to find out that he was just having some "fun" at my expense, and it caused me to lighten up a bit. It was good.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:38 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
True. I admit I've done it a couple of times just to push buttons. I've also had it done to me on a gay issue. The poster admitted it later on. I laughed. He really had me wound up. It was good to find out that he was just having some "fun" at my expense, and it caused me to lighten up a bit. It was good.
You have to admit that some are just begging for it and It's quite rewarding to be charitable from time to time. I have noticed though that those who beg the most seem to be on YOUR side of the political fence.

Some folks seem to take the opinions of total strangers who can't possibly have any effect whatsoever on their lives way too seriously. These are the one's who go off on enraged tangents and start calling names and slinging insults. For some reason that's a red button that I sometimes can't resist pushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies