Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
They can legalize it, just like alcohol. As a company owner I have a right to demand drug-free employees. When they test positive I will fire them. Alcohol might last a few hours in the system. MaryJane sticks around awhile.
Why should you care what your employees do in the privacy of their homes as long as they come to work sober and perform well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
They can legalize it, just like alcohol. As a company owner I have a right to demand drug-free employees. When they test positive I will fire them. Alcohol might last a few hours in the system. MaryJane sticks around awhile.

Thats the real problem with something like that, working for some a**hole somewhere that will try and control your personal life.

It's more about control with many employers, both personally and professionally. So no matter if its legalized it will still have professional consequences of its use for some people.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Why should you care what your employees do in the privacy of their homes as long as they come to work sober and perform well?
While I am in support of legalization, there is the argument that if it is in your blood, you are under the influence. If someone smokes a joint, the thc can be detected in their blood for many days, months if they are a habitual user, thereby making them technically not sober. Imagine if an employee came in with a detectable BAC and used the excuse, "Well, i was drinking last night, not today." There needs to be clear definitions of what exactly constitutes "under the influence" if they are going to legalize it, otherwise, someone could smoke a joint on a Saturday and get a DWI the following Thursday, because it is still present in their blood.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
People with AIDS and cancer and other medical problems are losers?

Man take your gay pride talk and sit on it.

The ones with cancer are not, those who sit around and get high are losers.

And also, there will be a need for testing so that there are laws regarding driving while high. Nobody wants to be on the road with stoners any more than drunks

Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
This is one of the few times I'll probably agree with you, but many employers don't. The last company I worked for had very strict policies regarding drug use, and to work for them you had to sign a form agreeing to be drug tested at any time. Any trace of anything illegal and you fired. No second chances.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
I'll fire you today if you got high last month. That's the way it works.
If you want to lose money training new employees because you fired someone who smokes responsibly on weekends only.. hey, it's your money.

I'm glad I never had to work for someone like you.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM

62 posts, read 80,368 times
Quote:
While I am in support of legalization, there is the argument that if it is in your blood, you are under the influence. If someone smokes a joint, the thc can be detected in their blood for many days, months if they are a habitual user, thereby making them technically not sober. Imagine if an employee came in with a detectable BAC and used the excuse, "Well, i was drinking last night, not today." There needs to be clear definitions of what exactly constitutes "under the influence" if they are going to legalize it, otherwise, someone could smoke a joint on a Saturday and get a DWI the following Thursday, because it is still present in their blood.
I'm for legalization except I believe there needs to be a definitive limit of DWI with Marijuana, not how many joints but detectable levels in blood. Marijuana is a fascinating drug for me (former biochemistry major), in that only 60 of the 400 or so compounds are the psychoactive cannabinoids. These chemicals affect the CNS via interference between normal, neuronal communications/ neurotransmitters. That is why one's concentration, coordination, and memory, among other things, would be directly impaired with usage. However, cannabinoids also have many other pharmacologic uses in modern medicine. Like I said, it's an interesting drug.

Quote:
And also, there will be a need for testing so that there are laws regarding driving while high. Nobody wants to be on the road with stoners any more than drunks
Exactly. I don't care if people smoke bowls of weed in their homes, I'm all for legalization in every regard except when public health and safety are involved. I'm afraid that without delineation of DWI with Marijuana from other forms of criminal, reckless driving, public safety will be adversely affected. Educate people that legalization of pot isn't the same as cigarettes being legal, i.e. you can smoke cigarettes and then still be able to drive and not cause accidents.

Last edited by cherry sakura; 12-15-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Do you think Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney would do the same as President? I don't.
I'd rather see Ron Paul as president over any of the other Republican nominees.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Thats the real problem with something like that, working for some a**hole somewhere that will try and control your personal life.

It's more about control with many employers, both personally and professionally. So no matter if its legalized it will still have professional consequences of its use for some people.
I am all for legalizing pot and also for an employers right to drug test.

As soon as the employee runs over someone in the company van, cuts off someones hand or injuries himself or others while on the job there will be lawsuits. If a death is involved the police will drug test.

Its the reduction of liability for an employer to not have people in the company that tests positive for drugs. The courts and lawyers will eat him up and spit him out.

If you don't like drug tests get a Govt job.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 PM

71 posts, read 50,712 times
We have created a giant system of imprisonment and government control over peoples lives for smoking a weed that does nothing more than what most red necks do with beer at NASCAR. It is more religion trying to force others to abide by their narrow view of things. How many people are in prison for having pot? How many lives have been ruined for a joint? How many lives have been lost because of the prohibition and the creation crime lords just like when booze was illegal. It took all this time, lives lost, and destroyed to make the fools see it was not sustainable and the conservatives still want to keep the war going, These idiots have not seen a war they did not want to fight forever. I have even herd many who though we should have stayed in Vietnam. Some people are so damn stupid they are beyond help.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies