Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you celebrate Christmas?
As a religious holiday 29 24.79%
As a secular (non-religious) holiday 42 35.90%
As both a religious and a secular holiday 34 29.06%
I don't celebrate Christmas at all 12 10.26%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

My family celebrates it as a secular holiday, although I think my father would prefer a little more religiosity in our Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Truth be told it's only become more of a 'thing' with us since the offspring came along...didn't care much about it prior to that, well, a tree at least, some years...

Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Both. Our family acknowledges and celebrates Christmas as the birth of Jesus Christ and we also enjoy the lights, trees, giving and socializing that goes with the celebration.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
My family is ubber religious. When I go home, its a Christian holiday. However, I view it as just a good time to spend with my son, spend time with family, and eat lots of food. Christs birth has little to do with it for me.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Jesus was not born on Christmas, this is just another made-up holiday for the purpose of making pagans into "Christians". Celebrate it if you like, but know its true origins.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Its secular to me. I can recognize that it has something to do with Christianity and I will observe it if needed around people that choose to be religious. Personally, its a good time to spend time with friends and family and show a little extra charity where possible.

I was talking to my mom about "secular Christmas" a while ago. She is 60+. She has a distinct memory of it being more religious than it is now. It is like we are reverting back to the pagan aspects of the winter solstice. Which is fine by me. Its a time to celebrate that the worst is behind us. More minutes of sunlight coming our way.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
I don't celebrate it at all. I don't believe in the religious aspect. I'm not a retailer, so the commercial aspect means nothing to me. And I never thought that the winter solstice was anything to celebrate, either.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
both. We have 2 nativity scenes at home, go to church (year around, but at Christmas too). The kids sing at church. We also have the tree, stockings, presents. We don't lecture the kids about it, but we do mention, and remind the kids of the true meaning of Christmas. At their ages, it is still all about the presents, I think.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
People who celebrate Christmas as a Secular holiday kind of just peeves me off. Its the same arguement I make about gay marriage. Its on par with selfish self-centeredness and a me me me society.

If you want to Celebrate the Winter Solstice, have at it, and call it that. Christmas however is a Christian Holiday. Hell, Christ is in the name. Instead however, people want to celebrate it, partake in the eating, celebrating, gift giving (and recieving), not because they are Christian or that they believe in Christ, but because they are selfish. Gay marriage is similar, marriage is a religious ceremony, thus if you want to be with your gay lover.... why not call it a civil union? This continued trashing of religous values from non-believers who then want to reap the benefits and positives the religion have to provide futher shows how selfish a society we are.

I have an idea, why don't I have a fund raiser to help sick children. Tickets are 200 bucks a head, and we will have music, a live band, and drinks. Celebrating Christmas without being Christian is akin to coming to the fundraiser, eating the food, drinking the drinks, listening to the band... and not donating your 200 bucks.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
I have always celebrated both the religious and the secular aspects of the holiday. From as early as I can remember, Mom always had the nativity displayed near if not next to the tree. I have always done the same. (The last year I actually had a tree to decorate, I had a small, aluminum nativity that hung on the tree.) This year I have limited my decorating to the front entrance way, with a lace angel hanging on the door, Santa and Mrs Santa and a couple of carolers on tables on either side of the door, smaller lace angels hanging over the archway and large, lighted faux packages out front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies