Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress block Washington D.C. from legalizing same-sex marriage?
Yes, it should be blocked 2 11.11%
No, they should allow it to pass 16 88.89%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,221,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Congress has a right to block any laws that D.C. passes, as far as I know.
Right. There is a 30 day review period for all laws. During this time congress can vote to overturn it. But it's highly unlikely that it will be stopped. DC already recognizes gay marriages performed in other states. That was just passed last summer and wasn't voted down I'm sure that this will be allowed to pass but never say never as they say.

But the idea that all I have to do to get married is move across the river is pretty darn cool. :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,368,735 times
Its bad enough the good people of DC have to pay federal taxes without receiving any voting representation in congress. That they would have their local laws subjected to a game of mother may I with a legislature they had no say in is beyond belief.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,204,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
This is not as much of a win for gay rights as it would be in an actual state. Marriage equality was defeated in California, Maine, and New York, where the majority voted against it. DC was a given in the fight for equal rights. So, while this is significant, it doesn't remedy the larger losses.
You're right. But every little win is a ***** in the armor. This is how it will happen - one small step at a time, with a few steps back.

Last edited by idahogie; 12-15-2009 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: I guess CD doesn't like the word "ch*nk"

Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,616,278 times
Default National Organization For Marriage Vows To Overturn D.C. Marriage

"We have one message for David Catania and the rest of these politicians today: this fight is not over," Brian Brown, executive director of the National Organization for Marriage, said in the statement. "We will go to Congress, we will go to the courts, we will fight for the people’s right to vote and we will win!"

NOM Vows to Overturn D.C. Marriage | News | Advocate.com

The culture war continues.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,287,572 times
Quote:
"We have one message for David Catania and the rest of these politicians today: this fight is not over," Brian Brown, executive director of the National Organization for Marriage, said in the statement. "We will go to Congress, we will go to the courts, we will fight for the people’s right to vote and we will win!"

NOM Vows to Overturn D.C. Marriage | News | Advocate.com

The culture war continues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_3pzcAU-d0

Old 12-15-2009, 02:35 PM

981 posts, read 802,690 times
Quote:
Symbolically, however, I think it has more significance than if a small state had legalized it. I know you might disagree with me on that.
Symbolically, yes, I would agree. Although, sometimes I feel as though Texas holds greater symbolism for the US than DC, so marriage equality there would be like killing two birds with one stone. You get the symbolism along with one of the largest and most conservative states allowing equal rights under the law.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:37 PM

981 posts, read 802,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You're right. But every little win is a ***** in the armor. This is how it will happen - one small step at a time, with a few steps back.
Yes, but families and older couples are the ones paying the price, in the end.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,048,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
This is not as much of a win for gay rights as it would be in an actual state. Marriage equality was defeated in California, Maine, and New York, where the majority voted against it. DC was a given in the fight for equal rights. So, while this is significant, it doesn't remedy the larger losses.
I disagree somewhat. I think having same sex marriage legalized in the nations capital is more important than having it in someplace like Vermont. There's substantial symbolism to having it legal in DC.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,417,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
But the idea that all I have to do to get married is move across the river is pretty darn cool. :-D
Yeah, but there's no Santini's on the District side....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies