Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times

Advertisements

I would be more concerned if when the class was asked to draw a christmas picture, the kid drew the demonic psycho killer santa from Silent Night, Deadly Night, complete w/axes, beheadings & blood dripping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
That's right. Space gods over science and reason. The age old advocacy of unfounded beliefs over rational thought. I'm not surprised.

The instructor took an anticipatory measure to safeguard the child. As a product of MA public schools, I can assure you that I've seen a number of kids who have been through the same thing when they make controversial statements or draw such pictures. It's nothing new or out of the ordinary. The only reason the religious or religious-friendly are demeaning the instructor is because it involved Christ-like symbolism. I have no reason to believe, as of now, that the teacher overreacted.
That is in your opinion, I ass-u-me. And you also assume that it's about religion. Why do secularists always have to antagonize religion (especially nowdays Christianity) in order to promote science in the name of advancing education. The inherent weakness of secularism is that it discards ethics and religion in favor of politics and power as exhibited by your rush to defend the
the motives of this teacher rather than the feelings of the child the teacher denigrated. (In my opinion)

Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 PM

981 posts, read 806,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
That is in your opinion, I ass-u-me. And you also assume that it's about religion. Why do secularists always have to antagonize religion (especially nowdays Christianity) in order to promote science in the name of advancing education. The inherent weakness of secularism is that it discards ethics and religion in favor of politics and power as exhibited by your rush to defend the
the motives of this teacher rather than the feelings of the child the teacher denigrated. (In my opinion)
Whatever.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Honestly, this is why we need to increase teacher salaries to attract better talent to the field. When you are paying people 20K per year, you are not going to attract the most intelligent and sane individuals to this field. This teacher was a complete moron and has no business teaching children. This is why rich people send their kids to private schools because many public school teachers do not deserve to teach children. I know this isn't PC and that we are supposed to view all teachers as saints but that was not my experience going to public schools. We had a lot of emotionally unbalanced and unintelligent individuals teaching. I would argue 75% of my teachers were hacks and the other 25% were indeed saints
Hold on, hold on.....teachers don't have the power to order psychological evaluations and suspend kids until those evaluations are done. Teachers can only report, it takes administrators to act on those reports...and administrators make a whole lot more than a starting teacher, the only ones who come even close to making just $20k a year.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
It's a child. Some of you folks are just disgusting. It takes a village to raise a child, not a village of idiots.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
B/c they've got nothing else to do? Are too "intellectual" for everyone else (self-appointed intellectuals, at best). Apparently you also noticed the poster HAS to get it's anti-religion babble in before speaking on the issue at hand....yawn.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
How come everybody is ignoring the fact that the child was sent home when he told the teacher he drew himself on the cross?

Whether what the teacher did with that info was correct or not, it certainly changes the situation and removes any fake religious oppression that seems to be the underlying motivation in a lot of posters.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Well, I'm no secularist, but I think if you look closely you will find a society at large pushing back against one segment trying to control everything.

What you want is your culture, your religion, your interpretation of God to control classrooms, government, science even though creation has had numerous opportunities to present its best evidence in a court of law to determine whether it should be considered valid science (and has failed to do so effectively), etc...

You want prayers in school, but I doubt you would allow students to stop everyday, pull out the prayer mats, and face Mecca.

You're going to get push-back when you try to control society like that. You're not victims of any oppression.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Get liberals out of the public schools or get your children out of the public schools. Mass. is one of the most insane states there is when it comes to what they do in the schools. Check out biggovernment.com and see whats going on there.
And another wingnut shows just what he's good at: flying off the handle with too few facts.

Quote:
If it isn't about religion, then the kid drew a picture of a guy being tortured to death, and then claimed it was a self-portrait. That sounds like something to be worried about.

Or are you "ass-u-ming" that it is actually about religion?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Or maybe he looks at it as an "unprecedented" (laughs at Obama verbiage) deed for humanity. One in which he takes all the abuse and everyone else gets to go on with their smugness and self indulgence. Maybe it should be a deed that liberals would find admirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies