Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,314,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Chevron has owned the technology for over 10 years now. WTF did they do with it? They shelved it! dah!
Proof that it is shelved intentionally to stifle development, other than an emoticon slapping it's forehead?

Last edited by allydriver; 01-04-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,793,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Proof that it is shelved intentionally to stifle development, other than emoticon slapping it's forehead?
Do you see anything thing done with the technology?

The facts speak for themselves.

BTW, as my technology goes through the patenting process, it is published and becomes public knowledge. A rather large company, that produces a product that my technology would compete with, contacted us wanting to buy our patent. We offered to let them license the technology with a clause that they must actually produce and sell the technology. They refused. My technology would do what their's does and more much cheaper. Thus their profits would take a hit should or when my technology is marketed.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,314,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Do you see anything thing done with the technology?

The facts speak for themselves.

BTW, as my technology goes through the patenting process, it is published and becomes public knowledge. A rather large company, that produces a product that my technology would compete with, contacted us wanting to buy our patent. We offered to let them license the technology with a clause that they must actually produce and sell the technology. They refused. My technology would do what their's does and more much cheaper. Thus their profits would take a hit should or when my technology is marketed.
Can you prove that nothing is being done with it and if so, can you prove it is to deprive the public good of it's heretofore unknown benefits?
Your examples so far, have been absent fact or immaterial to this discussion.
You have failed to answer my direct questions with anything more that tin foil hat conspiracy theorist trash.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt and I am now finished with you.
Thank you

Last edited by allydriver; 01-04-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Can you prove that nothing is being done with it and if so, can you prove it is to deprive the public good of it's heretofore unknown benefits?
You have failed to answer my direct questions with anything more that tin foil hat conspiracy theorist trash.
Thank you

Why would a company purchase a patent, which is good for only 20 years from the date of filing, without using it to make money? I know why. They are using the patent to keep making money........on oil. Their intent was to own the technology thereby controlling anyone from further developing it or using it. The battery technology threatened Chevron's huge profits.

The proof is that there is zero technology being developed from the patent.

Are you expecting a press release from Chevron announcing their acquisition of those patent rights for stifling any further development? Anyone who would believe any company (which does this quite frequently) would openly admit their motive for buying and shelving a patent, is naive!

Last edited by jojajn; 01-04-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,908,801 times
Quote:
Proof that it is shelved intentionally to stifle development, other than an emoticon slapping it's forehead?
Here's some proof for you...

Once Cobasys (owned by Chevron) got the patents to large scale NiMh batteries, they sued Toyota for using them in their electric vehicle RAV4. Despite the fact that battery packs cannot be sold anymore, I've seen an electric RAV4 recently still driving around Thousand Oaks, CA!!! With improved NiMh batteries both the RAV4 and EV1 were getting ranges from 100 to 160 miles per charge, way more than enough for city driving and making these vehicles practical.

Cobasys STILL OWNS the patents to this tech and EVEN TODAY car manufacturers cannot use NiMh for electric vehicles for this reason. Third party companies that convert Prius to plug-ins cannot use those batteries. That's why GM and others are going with the more problematic Lithium based batteries, not becuase they are better, but because Cobasys / Chevron won't let them use batteries known to work.

Last edited by jkbatca; 01-04-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you
(A) NiMh batteries make electric vehicles practical.
(B) Selling electric vehicles will reduce oil consumption
(C) Reduced oil consumption means less profit for oil companies

Therefore

(D) Oil companies buy key battery tech patents and shut down practical electric car production

My God, if you cannot connect the dots from this, I just dont know what to say....

Last edited by jkbatca; 01-04-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM

And another thing, Chevron wasn't the only company against the electric car. GM didn't like them because design-wise, the EV1 was a vastly simpler design and required very little maintenance compared to the ICE cars. GM's service department would have WAY WAY less revenue due to virtually zero regular shop visits...

Deep down, GM hated the electric car as much as Chevron did.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
And another thing, Chevron wasn't the only company against the electric car. GM didn't like them because design-wise, the EV1 was a vastly simpler design and required very little maintenance compared to the ICE cars. GM's service department would have WAY WAY less revenue due to virtually zero regular shop visits...

Deep down, GM hated the electric car as much as Chevron did.
Which would explain why GM was willing to sell the patent. GM got exactly what it deserved with its financial troubles! I hope Chevron gets their's also!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,185,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Source: Audi exec: U.S. government has 'fallen in love' with electric vehicles | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20091214/AUTO01/912140412/Audi-exec--U.S.-government-has--fallen-in-love--with-electric-vehicles - broken link)

Electric cars are a threat to the oil companies and the oil sheiks in the middle east who were the puppet masters of the Bush administration. They are terrified of electric cars and will go through extreme measures to prevent their development. We could have switched to electric cars a decade ago, but both Democrats and Republicans prevented this especially the NeoCons.
Bush, his oil tycoon buddies, and their Sheik masters are upset about the Obama administration interest in electric cars

Ok, I read the article and let me ask you a question. Why must you insist on trolling for a flame war? No where in the article is there wording stating anything as you suggest. You toss out your rather hyped up opinion with a link to an article that has nothing to do with the thread title, so one can only conclude that you aren't even wanting to discuss the contents of the article, you are flame baiting, pure and simple.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Bush, his oil tycoon buddies, and their Sheik masters are upset about the Obama administration interest in electric cars

Ok, I read the article and let me ask you a question. Why must you insist on trolling for a flame war? No where in the article is there wording stating anything as you suggest. You toss out your rather hyped up opinion with a link to an article that has nothing to do with the thread title, so one can only conclude that you aren't even wanting to discuss the contents of the article, you are flame baiting, pure and simple.
One can only get into the head of the OP to determine what the motive was, but here's my take on the OP.

Here we are in 2010 talking (once again) about electric cars being up and coming. However, in 2001 the oil companies do some anti-capitalistic patent trolling to shut down and continue to shut down a battery technology which allowed electric cars to become useful (ie, large scale NiMh batteries).

We could have had electric cars cheap RIGHT NOW, but no. Instead we had to defend and die for our oil supplies for the last decade, got a whole region of people pissed at us, we gave the oil companies hundreds of billions of dollars in profit out of our pockets. And yet, some people on this forum, in the misguided notion of what capitalism and truth is, defends the oil companies for doing this? Like Biden says "is this a joke"? Are we so f'ing gullible to whatever the TV tells us that we will destroy ourselves for some stupid company which does an end-around capitalism to keep it's place in the market?

If you are interested in the truth, why can't we bring the truth out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies