Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
You are getting dangerously close to Valerie Solanas with that comment.

And if it wasn't for the men who fought in WWII, you'd be hailing the Fuhrer right now and wouldn't be free to post on a forum about your liberal opinions. Don't try assigning more value to women than men, it's not gonna work.
Hmmm, now that's interesting because it sounds like you're assigning more value to men than women in your very own post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Hmmm, now that's interesting because it sounds like you're assigning more value to men than women in your very own post.
I was responding to TLV comments by providing a counter example

Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Isurance is a pool afterall taking younger epople who will get old and people with family histories different etc.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just heard Sen Durbin of Ill say on the radio that he and other "liberal" senators were glad that males and females of the same ages would pay the same premiums for coverage under the proposed health care reform. since women obviously have an elective cost called pregancy and birth delivery, is it fair to "pass on" those costs to males' premiums?
Hmmm, let me
Men go hunting, 4 wheeling, and sometimes do stupider things and take more risks than women do, usually.
So, with this being fact, I would have to say Durbin's probably correct in thinking equal premiums.
Isn't that why young males 18-25 years of age pay more for auto insurance than older married males and females?
15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance....yeah, right.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Yes it should be equal, granted a woman may become pregnant and incur some debt in the process (or perhaps more than one time) but in the grand scheme of insurance... its a literal "drop in a bucket of water"... albeit insurance companies will seize upon it (as any company would) to increase profits... making things appear relevant when in fact they are not...

Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Here is a thought. Let everyone be responsible for themselves. This way, the costs incurred are restricted to those who obtain the service and relative to the level of service they obtain.

But I guess I am just being wacky.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
You are getting dangerously close to Valerie Solanas with that comment.

And if it wasn't for the men who fought in WWII, you'd be hailing the Fuhrer right now and wouldn't be free to post on a forum about your liberal opinions. Don't try assigning more value to women than men, it's not gonna work.
If it weren't for the nurses in WW II (about 30% of all registered nurses served, including my mother), many would not have returned home. Nursing was about 99% female at the time, so don't give me some crap about male nurses. My mom was right up there where the action was in the Phillippines.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Hmmm, let me
Men go hunting, 4 wheeling, and sometimes do stupider things and take more risks than women do, usually.
So, with this being fact, I would have to say Durbin's probably correct in thinking equal premiums.
Isn't that why young males 18-25 years of age pay more for auto insurance than older married males and females?
15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance....yeah, right.
Medical treatment (for insurance purposes) is put into three categories, it's either an illness, an accident or it's for wellness (preventative care, physicals, etc.).

You're right about young men being more likely to need medical care because of an accident but, that tends to be about the only reason young men get medical attention (of course there are exceptions) and overall that not nearly as much of a factor as the amount of care young women receive for wellness and maternity reasons. Young women require more preventative care than men....especially from an OB/GYN (at the very least an annual pelvic exam) so, rates for young women are higher than for men of the same age (especially when maternity coverage is included).

Yes, you're right about young men having much higher premiums for auto insurance. The reason for that is statistically young men overall tend to spend a lot of time in their cars when they first get their driver's license....as they get older, the amount of time drops off. That being the case (among other things), the opportunity to get in an accident is that much greater.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:45 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
While we are at it, shouldn't gays have to pay more? The number 1 cause of AIDs is through anal sex. The HIV costs for this type of lifestyle is very Should the rest of us have to pay for theirr choice of lifestyle?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
After all the hoopla in almost every HC thread about "my premium went up because someone else went to the doctor without insurance". Isn't what you're saying sort of the same thing?
Yes. In order for the plan to work, the costs have to be shared by everyone - just like with Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies