Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Well? Do you?
No 63 47.73%
Yes 69 52.27%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I actually disagree with that statement, but I guess it depends on the context.
Then you have not been out in the real world very long. There are very educated people out there who can barely get by in the world. They may be a whiz a calculus or physics but have no clue outside the class room.

Why would you respect their opinion more then others unless we were discussing calculus or physics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
usually but sometimes the uneducated hit the hammer to the nail.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I think you are thinking about this way too much. It's really quite simple. In everyday life, such as when discussing issues on CD, do you value the opinion of educated people more than uneducated individuals?

What you were talking about previously refers to vocational knowledge, and that's not really what I'm talking about.
When it comes to discussing life issues I'd rather listen to your grandmother who's been around more than 80 years. I'd bet she could tell us more about dishonest politicians than anyone here.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 AM

199 posts, read 216,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'll take good common sense over education any day. There are PHD's out there that are totally clueless about life.
Most well-run countries around the world today are headed by PhDs, MAs, ie. technocrats. Common sense and education aren't exclusive, and common sense can be proved wrong. Ie. common sense of the 12th century: the world is flat.

Quote:
When it comes to discussing life issues I'd rather listen to your grandmother who's been around more than 80 years. I'd bet she could tell us more about dishonest politicians than anyone here.
Except the 80 year old grandma might be delusional and get her information from Fox News. A good wisdom is a good wisdom, it should not matter how old, how young, or how educated the person is, except on average the educated folks can provide better information than one that is not educated*.

*Education is not specifically a degree attainment but rather information and knowledge attainment. A correctly-informed person is better than an ignorant person.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
I didn't vote, but it really does depend on the situation.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
I'll take good common sense over education any day. There are PHD's out there that are totally clueless about life.
Honestly I'm more wary of the educated because they can be the biggest fools. Say the dumbest things. Things only the University can teach. Wisdom and insight trump the PHD. Unless your building a bridge.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Honestly I'm more wary of the educated because they can be the biggest fools. Say the dumbest things. Things only the University can teach. Wisdom and insight trump the PHD. Unless your building a bridge.
False dichotomy. Wisdom/insight and formal education are not mutually exclusive.

Same thing with so-called common sense. One can be educated and have plenty of common sense.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
One can be educated and have plenty of common sense.
Yes they do, many people here prove it. But many educated lack common sense so if you ask if I value all opinions of the educated more, you can't really say yes.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
What is this growing backlash against the educated (since the late 1980s)? It's really odd and kind of disturbing. This whole down home conservative slant is really bugging me (not calling anyone a conservative, but this is more a conservative concept).

Your more wary of educated people because they CAN be the biggest fools? The implication being there are MORE fools that are educated than not.

Experience doesn't ALWAYS trump education. Experience doesn't always translate into wisdom. Some of the oldest people I know are the least wise.

I will say that being educated doesn't always mean you understand as much going on. My mom is not educated, I value her knowledge on many things. My dad is educated, I value his knowledge on many things as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
There is no getting away that someone with a good education is someone's opinion you do value. But on the other side, i know some who have not gone to college, and are just as smart to me as those i know who have. They actually make more common sense, where sometimes, the ones i know with high I.Q.'S i don't know what the hek they are talking about sometimes, they just do not make sense. So yes and no, if that makes any sense. It is late i am tired, and probably not making sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies