Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Well? Do you?
No 63 47.73%
Yes 69 52.27%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Everybody has opinions!
The less educated usually cannot explain their opinions and use more adjectives and adverbs.
Example: The "A" are bad people.
The less educated will say 'what are we waiting for? Let's go get 'em".
The educated will ask, "Why are the "A" bad people? Explain please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I don't understand the question.

Why, if I were seeking an opinion on something, would I value the opinion of someone who didn't know about the subject more than someone who did?

Last edited by stan4; 12-13-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
?
LOL

Yes. But I'm not defining education as post-secondary school. I'm defining it on how knowledgeable you are about whatever the topic is. If you're not educated on a topic, I'm not going to be believe you.

However, if someone younger than say 40 doesn't have a high school diploma, I'm not likely to believe them, either. There is no excuse for dropping out in this day and age, at least get a GED. I consider a lack of HSD or GED to be uneducated as well as just being uneducated on a certain topic.

Call me judgmental if you like.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't understand the question.

Why, if I were seeking an opinion on something, would I value the opinion of someone who didn't know about the subject than someone who did?
I am not an engineer, but I had an opinion on something that engineers world-wide said couldn't work.

So I filed, and was issued, a patent on it.

Then I made a working prototype.

Then, the Germans tried to invalidate my European patents.

They lost.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
So you would elect a President without a formal education? You would trust the opinion of Joe Schmoe at a bar to sort out your problems rather than a psychiatrist?

Some of America's greatest Presidents did not have a formal education. What college or university did Abraham Lincoln go to? How about Andrew Jackson or Thomas Jefferson? I don't recall if George Washington had a degree or spent a day in a military academy. Other great Americans had no formal teaching either, Did Thomas Edison go to a polytechnic the same for Henry Ford. Of course not. Another famous man did revolutionary physics in 1905 but but only became Herr Doktor after he created the Special Theory of Relativity and the Kaiser Wilhem Institut (Germany's Im perial University in Berlin) wanted him on the faculty. This self educated scientist was Albert Einstein. All these men lacked formal credentials but they were not ignorant and learned how to teach themselves. You can find wisdom in very unlikely places and shouldn't Joe Schmoes ideas, opinions, feelings and life experiences be listened to or valued.?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
So you would elect a President without a formal education? You would trust the opinion of Joe Schmoe at a bar to sort out your problems rather than a psychiatrist?
I was pushing for Perot once.

Don't know if he had higher education or not.

He seemed too intelligent to have been formally educated.

When he spoke of a sucking sound, he didn't mean the kind you sometimes hear in the men's john.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Quote:
I clarified earlier exactly what I was talking about, that the question didn't pertain to vocational knowledge and its application (which would be silly), but to social, political, and economic issues, in general.
Well then, I would value the opinion of the educated conservative when it comes to those issues and don't tell me there aren't any. I know conservatives and liberals in all walks of life.

I also value commen sense and wisdom.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
The question is difficult to answer, but here is my explanation: I value the opinion of an educated person when the issue is a subject I am unfamiliar with. My car's mechanic would be an example even if s/he is considered uneducated by others. I value the experience and therefore the opinion of any individual, educated or not, provided the experience itself has value to my particular situation. In general, I would choose the educated person over the uneducated one, but even then I would refrain from basing MY opinion solely on their input.

I will say that I am somewhat surprised at the people who voted against the opinion of the educated because it is populated by people I don't consider to be too educated. I didn't expect to see such a direct correlation between the individuals I consider ignorant on certain subjects and those who eschew the opinions of more informed people. There seems to be a conscious effort to dislike people who are educated. Sadly, it explains a lot about this country, doesn't it?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I am not an engineer, but I had an opinion on something that engineers world-wide said couldn't work.

So I filed, and was issued, a patent on it.

Then I made a working prototype.

Then, the Germans tried to invalidate my European patents.

They lost.
Ok...

But what does that have to do with the question?

Did you ask some idiot on the street what they thought of your idea?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
There seems to be a conscious effort to dislike people who are educated. Sadly, it explains a lot about this country, doesn't it?
I think the question was purposely posed to do that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies