Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Ok, I feel silly having to point this out to those unaware, but Time's Person of the Year is NOT an honor or award.

actually by defination it is

anytime someone is recognized it is considered an honor or an award

Award is something given to a person or a group of people to recognize excellence in a certain field; a certificate of excellence. Awards are often signified by trophies, titles, certificates, commemorative plaques, medals, badges, pins, or ribbons. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Award

award: a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; "an award for bravery"

Honour or Honor (see spelling differences), (from the Latin word honos, honoris) is the evaluation of a person's trustworthiness and social status ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor

An objectification of praiseworthiness, respect. (I.e., something that represents praiseworthiness, respect. ...

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/honor

so to be NAMED , Time magazines (or any other entity (to include MAD magazine)) would be considered a Honor, or an award
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No surprise. It's a good pick. Bernanke along with Geithner and a relative handful of others pulled off what nobody (including them) was sure could be done. This ain't no bed of roses that we're left in, but it's oh so much better than what might have been and what we appeared almost certainly headed for...

I agree it is a good pick but I don't think Geithner deserves any credit. Bernanke pulled us from the fire, Geithner was just along for the ride.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Didn't they pick Hitler for it one year also?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Princess Pelosi was also a finalist on Time's list. Talk about lowering the bar. Who even reads Time anymore?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:37 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Princess Pelosi was also a finalist on Time's list. Talk about lowering the bar. Who even reads Time anymore?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I don't know anyone who reads Time.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No surprise. It's a good pick. Bernanke along with Geithner and a relative handful of others pulled off what nobody (including them) was sure could be done. This ain't no bed of roses that we're left in, but it's oh so much better than what might have been and what we appeared almost certainly headed for...
Giving credit to a couple of greedy power hungry suits?

I think it is the perseverence of the American people that prevented us from falling into depression.

next.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:46 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Surprised?

[.[/i]
Well, it's not like he was Most Fascinating or Sexiest Man of The Year.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM

345 posts, read 643,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually by defination it is

anytime someone is recognized it is considered an honor or an award

Award is something given to a person or a group of people to recognize excellence in a certain field; a certificate of excellence. Awards are often signified by trophies, titles, certificates, commemorative plaques, medals, badges, pins, or ribbons. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Award

award: a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; "an award for bravery"

Honour or Honor (see spelling differences), (from the Latin word honos, honoris) is the evaluation of a person's trustworthiness and social status ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor

An objectification of praiseworthiness, respect. (I.e., something that represents praiseworthiness, respect. ...

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/honor

so to be NAMED , Time magazines (or any other entity (to include MAD magazine)) would be considered a Honor, or an award
I shall step aside. You have out nit-picked me. Congratulations.

But if I must clarify, Bernanke's designation as Time's Person of the Year is not a recognition of positive things he has done; it's a recognition of things he has done, good or bad or in between, and the influence he has had on the world.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
So Helicopter Ben got the Person of the Year. Well I don't disagree with it - he single handedly issued so much debt and increased the money supply so much he actually got the director-general of the China Banking Regulation Commission to say this:

""We hate you guys. Once you start issuing $1 trillion-$2 trillion, we know the dollar is going to depreciate, so we hate you guys but there is nothing much we can do."

He was referring to the notion that an increase in the money supply will inherently cause each dollar to be worth less in a fiat money system. Ben has increased the money supply by so much that China and a lot of other creditors to the USA have gnashed their teeth at the loss of their investments.

However, it makes total sense because the USD is basically the only reserve currency in the world which is worth a damn investing in due to our economy and the fact that the US consumer drives 20% of WORLD GDP. Think about that for a moment ... if you think about 2/3 of our population is able to buy stuff on a meaningful level, that's 200 million people who can buy your stuff, and for many years did so at the expense of their savings. 20% of the world's GDP driven by 3.5% of the world's population, or if 3 billion of people in the world can buy stuff on a meaningful level, then 7%.

So, Ben made the right choice given our money system at hand. Trying to overhaul the system into something else wouldn't have made much sense because he earned a PhD in economics on our system , not another, and if he was to let banks fail then it would simply paralyze the credit markets and NOBODY would be doing business anymore. We'd revert to lending money to neighbors, like what we had in the Great Depression. And doing what Jackson did in abolishing the Second Bank of the USA (the ancestor of the US Fed) during a time of crisis in favor of another system or going on a metal / tangible asset based economy would have been a nightmare. If Helicopter Ben hadn't expanded the money supply and kept the credit markets creaking by, and simply let the banks fail, it would have been a repeat of the 1930s all over again and likely 1/3 of us would be unemployed.

So, he averted immediate catastrophe, but now his real work lies ahead in reducing the Fed's balance sheet. Good luck Ben, you need it.

Last edited by eskercurve; 01-01-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 04:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Bernake was named Man of the Year for bailing out the financial system with money made out of thin air while maintaining a calm demeanor.

They couldn't find someone who was actually worthy of that award ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies