Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

When House Democrats gathered on Friday for their end-of-the week caucus meeting in the basement of the Capitol, caucus chairman John Larson (D-Conn.) told the group he wanted them to hear first from Rep. Michael Capuano, who'd just returned from a primary campaign for the Senate seat in Massachusetts vacated by the death of Ted Kennedy. Larson asked Capuano, who finished in second place, to share the wisdom he learned on the campaign trail.

Capuano took to the microphone, looked out at his colleagues and condensed what he'd learned into two words. "You're screwed," he told his friends in the House, according to one attendee. The room's silence was broken only by soft, nervous laughter.

Everywhere Capuano went in his state, he said, he was bombarded with demands that the government do more to create jobs. He was also greeted by deep skepticism about Obama's escalation of the eight-year-old war in Afghanistan.

Rep. Capuano Tells Fellow Dems: 'You're Screwed'

Titanic II: The Sinking Democratic Ship!

Can't believe this was even reported by HuffPo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
When House Democrats gathered on Friday for their end-of-the week caucus meeting in the basement of the Capitol, caucus chairman John Larson (D-Conn.) told the group he wanted them to hear first from Rep. Michael Capuano, who'd just returned from a primary campaign for the Senate seat in Massachusetts vacated by the death of Ted Kennedy. Larson asked Capuano, who finished in second place, to share the wisdom he learned on the campaign trail.

Capuano took to the microphone, looked out at his colleagues and condensed what he'd learned into two words. "You're screwed," he told his friends in the House, according to one attendee. The room's silence was broken only by soft, nervous laughter.

Everywhere Capuano went in his state, he said, he was bombarded with demands that the government do more to create jobs. He was also greeted by deep skepticism about Obama's escalation of the eight-year-old war in Afghanistan.

Rep. Capuano Tells Fellow Dems: 'You're Screwed'

Titanic II: The Sinking Democratic Ship!

Can't believe this was even reported by HuffPo!

He's just telling them what they already know. Their time is short, so these hacks have to shove BoBo's sh*t down our throats at break-neck speed. Lemmings to the edge..... We live in interesting (and dangerous) times.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
I'm not surprised. I'm a registered Democrat, mainly because NY has closed primaries and there's not much going on with the Republican party here in NYC. I was rather surprised by the extremely low turnout for our local primaries last September and the local elections in November. I thought Obama was supposed to energize the base - guess not.

Among the people I know, the conservative/independents as well as the progressive Dems are very disappointed. Me, I'm biting my tongue not to say, "I told you so!"

Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
As it kinda gives me hope.

I think this article was a big promo for another stimulus package.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
I'm not surprised. I'm a registered Democrat, mainly because NY has closed primaries and there's not much going on with the Republican party here in NYC. I was rather surprised by the extremely low turnout for our local primaries last September and the local elections in November. I thought Obama was supposed to energize the base - guess not.

Among the people I know, the conservative/independents as well as the progressive Dems are very disappointed. Me, I'm biting my tongue not to say, "I told you so!"
And your Senator calling a flight attendent a bit ch does not help matters..

Old 12-16-2009, 12:53 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Democratic leadership in the House is still working on a jobs bill. Larson told a handful of reporters on Monday that it would likely include roughly $70 billion and focus on infrastructure, aid to state and local governments, and extending unemployment and COBRA health insurance subsidies for the jobless.
The bill, however, is likely to be tied to a defense appropriations bill that is scheduled to be taken up before year's end. "That's the last train leaving Clarksville" said Larson, reasoning that attaching it to money for war was the only way to get it done before the end of the year.
Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), chairman of the Education and Labor Committee, told reporters Tuesday that short-term extensions of unemployment and COBRA will be attached to the defense bill.
In effect, that requires members of Congress to back a war they oppose in order to get funding for jobs, a bargain many are loath to make, but one they've made over and over since Democrats rook control of Congress following the 2006 midterm elections -- which were decided largely by voters fed up with the war in Iraq.
Don't care which party does it, this crap pisses me off..... A bill needs to be about related subjects, this is simply political blackmail/bribery..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Democrats have no one to blame but themselves.

Leave it to liberals to botch a supermajority with a roster of overreaching legislation that most American's simply don't want.

You made your bed. Now lie in it.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Democrats have no one to blame but themselves.

Leave it to liberals to botch a supermajority with a roster of overreaching legislation that most American's simply don't want.

You made your bed. Now lie in it.

AeroGuyDC; Corrrect dems have no one to blame but themselves. Trying to shove us with legislation Most of us DON'T WANT.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Reid is going to get his - and he knows it.

I just hope by some miracle Pelosi gets what she deserves and gets ousted.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Reid is going to get his - and he knows it.

I just hope by some miracle Pelosi gets what she deserves and gets ousted.

The Three Stooges (BoBo, DirtyHarry and Pettypants) will be getting theirs in 2010...well, BoBo is not gone until 2012. Hopefully, even after they are GONE, we will have some semblance of a nation left after their underhanded shenanigans. The next bunch will need to be Tough Kahunas to get us back on track. Sadly, noone in sight yet to handle the gargantuan job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies