Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we need to stay in the country and make it better!

if this country fails economically, there are going to be bigger issues for people than health care insurance! i think this administration needs to get its priorities straight and address the income/wage side for americans before addressing any expense issue. without jobs, you sure can't afford any benefits. for those who say government will provide, i ask you how will government provide when they have to get their money from the private sector?

people seem to post about insurance as if it means free health care, and it does not. this is an INSURANCE battle, not a health battle, being waged against all americans.
Very well put, I agree 100%. I think the tanked economy should have been addressed first. I've always supported Obama but this is getting rediculous, my patience is waning. The platform was "change" but I see very little of it, more like "business as usual".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 05:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
I like Dean quite a lot. He has very valuable opinions on how the health issues we face can be handled. A problem he has, is that he has a hard time dealing with the political reality of Washington. Frankly, I feel he is disgusted with it, as we all should be. It is unfortunate that the political struggle is what is driving the Healthcare debate, not what is or isn't the best way to deal with the issue. Dean feels the frustration, knowing that there are practical and affordable solutions, yet those are derailed by politics. I also feel that, in the end, he will help move the process forward. However flawed, we have to have some kind of start.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I can tell you this much, physicians don't like or respect Howard Dean. He wants to increase autonomy and empower nurse practioners, PA's and others in the health care system and strip aways the rights of physicians. He is not well liked and is considered a traitor among physicians. If Howard Dean had his way, a lot of unqualified people will be taking care of patients and that is downright scary!
Not to hi-jack the thread, but who exactly are these "unqualified" people you speak of.

Hopefully it's not NPs or PAs, that would be a very ignorant assumption to make.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I like Dean quite a lot. He has very valuable opinions on how the health issues we face can be handled. A problem he has, is that he has a hard time dealing with the political reality of Washington. Frankly, I feel he is disgusted with it, as we all should be. It is unfortunate that the political struggle is what is driving the Healthcare debate, not what is or isn't the best way to deal with the issue. Dean feels the frustration, knowing that there are practical and affordable solutions, yet those are derailed by politics. I also feel that, in the end, he will help move the process forward. However flawed, we have to have some kind of start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Interestingly, I value Howard Dean's opinion on this, not only because he's a Democrat, but he's also a doctor.

To me, his oppositional stance speaks volumes.
I also like Dean. And, as a doctor, he should know.

The unfortunate thing is that they are so determined to pass something - and prove that they've succeeded - that they've lost sight of what they're fighting for.

It would be better to do nothing right now until they fully understand the consequences and long term effect than to pass something before the end of the year -- just because they want to "win" this battle. It has become an issue of pride and power for the President and all of the Legislators who should be there representing and fighting for the right purpose. The lobbiest for the insurance companies are the ones who are winning.

The idea of lowering the age for lowering the age for Medicare for people to Buy Coverage was a good idea. People from 50 to 62 are unable find affordable health insurance. It wasn't a hand out. It would have allowed people to purchase affordable insurance and get the care that they need.

People from 50 to 62 are losing their insurance due to lay offs and are unable to find other jobs with insurance benefits...

Can someone make a better suggestion for this age group on how to stay insured?

The fine politicians that were so against the Medicare buy in are not representing their own demographic. But, you see, they will probably never find themselves in this position. As government employees they have excellent coverage. And, with their political connections they will most likely never find themselves unemployed.

How many people are there in America that fall into that age group?

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-17-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we need to stay in the country and make it better!

if this country fails economically, there are going to be bigger issues for people than health care insurance! i think this administration needs to get its priorities straight and address the income/wage side for americans before addressing any expense issue. without jobs, you sure can't afford any benefits. for those who say government will provide, i ask you how will government provide when they have to get their money from the private sector?

people seem to post about insurance as if it means free health care, and it does not. this is an INSURANCE battle, not a health battle, being waged against all americans.
Dear sandy,
it's difficult fighting these insurance companies these days. These reforms should have happened a long time ago because the insurance lobby has gotten pretty big for their britches, and we are now trying to slay a giant, and the only way Americans can get insurance companies to be more fair, is by having another giant fight them, our Government. Because what can we do as ordinary citizens? Other than casting our vote for the people in public office who are supposed to be serving the people and not the other way around. We need a giant to kill a giant. We're all pretty much all jacks and the beanstalk.

These days, for some with health insurance, it's like having a 5 cent coupon when paying deductibles and premiums. Then there are those who have no coverage whatsoever.

Government either needs to regulate the insurance giants, or they need to help poor folks obtain some type of medical coverage.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
If this is true then it's very disturbing, at best. If they mandate insurance for everyone then they better have a public option or a lot of ppl, including me, are going to be in jail. Really though, did anyone honestly think we would ever get affordable medical care for everyone? Please, not a chance as long as insurance companies, drug companies, and organizations like the AMA have so much power and wealth staked on keeping everything as it is. I don't mean to sound jaded but I knew without a shadow of a doubt that nothing would change for the better, that it would probably only get worse. It's not just the greedy organizations and companies who have bought our gov't, it's the prevelant attitude of "who cares what happens to someone else, it's not my problem". That is of course until that same person is losing their home because they couldn't afford the medical bills. I would be willing to pay more so that no American should ever have to die or be bankrupt or homeless just because they had the misfortune of becoming ill or hurt. Unfortunately I am in the minority. Hey, like another poster said, "it's survival of the fittest". Yeah, right.
True,and really stupid people can never see the relationship between their neighbor losing their home and going bankrupt with their OWN economy, their OWN home value, their OWN country.....

And those who don't think we're responsible for our "neighbor'" don't have a second thought about our troops dying and being mutilated for THEM...

THAT kind of "sharing" they applaud!!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I also like Dean. And, as a doctor, he should know.

The unfortunate thing is that they are so determined to pass something - and prove that they've succeeded - that they've lost sight of what they're fighting for.

It would be better to do nothing right now until they fully understand the consequences and long term effect than to pass something before the end of the year -- just because they want to "win" this battle. It has become an issue of pride and power for the President and all of the Legislators who should be there representing and fighting for the right purpose. The lobbiest for the insurance companies are the ones who are winning.

The idea of lowering the age for lowering the age for Medicare for people to Buy Coverage was a good idea. People from 50 to 62 are unable find affordable health insurance. It wasn't a hand out. It would have allowed people to purchase affordable insurance and get the care that they need.

People from 50 to 62 are losing their insurance due to lay offs and are unable to find other jobs with insurance benefits...

Can someone make a better suggestion for this age group on how to stay insured?

The fine politicians that were so against the Medicare buy in are not representing their own demographic. But, you see, they will probably never find themselves in this position. As government employees they have excellent coverage. And, with their political connections they will most likely never find themselves unemployed.

How many people are there in America that fall into that age group?
Even a flawed and overly expensive bill is preferable to no bill at all. It is very obvious that there is NO WAY Congress can create any bill that handles the needs in one sitting. The process of reforming the issue is going to be a long, evolving one. Having a bill signed into law now, establishes the premise as a national objective. This is just the start of the process. Subsequent Congresses will continue this evolution. Fighting, screaming and politics will be the course of action. The give and take will, hopefully, allow the effects of that process to come to a balance of the different approaches to provide for a more sustainable system, both for our health care and economic viability.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Even a flawed and overly expensive bill is preferable to no bill at all. It is very obvious that there is NO WAY Congress can create any bill that handles the needs in one sitting. The process of reforming the issue is going to be a long, evolving one. Having a bill signed into law now, establishes the premise as a national objective. This is just the start of the process. Subsequent Congresses will continue this evolution. Fighting, screaming and politics will be the course of action. The give and take will, hopefully, allow the effects of that process to come to a balance of the different approaches to provide for a more sustainable system, both for our health care and economic viability.
In an ideal world that would be the outcome. I hope you're right.

It seems to me that they need to take an objective look at who's platform is most represented by the current plan. Who is really winning ?

Giving Insurance Companies, Pharmaceutical Companies and Medical Providers more power is not a step in the right direction.

What's happening right now proves how powerful all of these lobbies are.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
In any legislation, it's always a matter of "Whose Ox gets gored". In this case it appears to be the American people in general with big insurance and pharma being the winners. JMO

Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
In an ideal world that would be the outcome. I hope you're right.

It seems to me that they need to take an objective look at who's platform is most represented by the current plan. Who is really winning ?

Giving Insurance Companies, Pharmaceutical Companies and Medical Providers more power is not a step in the right direction.

What's happening right now proves how powerful all of these lobbies are.
One thing we can say about our system. We certainly don't take the easy way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies