Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should atheists be banned from holding public office?
Yes 5 7.46%
No 61 91.04%
Not sure 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM

981 posts, read 803,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. It's easy for me (and a lot of gays) to become paranoid about the gay issue since about half the country says it's immoral.
I think he's bluffing. Gay issues are a cornerstone of contemporary liberal politics, so how could that not be a factor for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,411,744 times
I am going to look at this different then normal. Why should it when so many don't want people in HIGH POSITIONS as President because of there very Religious Belief . Perhaps we should focus on if the perosn is qualified for the job, and not his religious affiliations. I am even mixed up on this one, don't know if it is more important that the person be qualified, or if he is affiliated with a church. Help on this one, ok with me.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,260,267 times
And where is this incident located......North Carolina aka THE SOUTH aka base of operations for the American Taliban (Evangelicals)

but

We shouldn't stereotype the South. This is just another "coincidence". Remember, the same people who hate political correctness want us to apply it to the South.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,444,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Asheville City Councilman Cecil Bothwell believes in ending the death penalty, conserving water and reforming government — but he doesn't believe in God. His political opponents say that's a sin that makes him unworthy of serving in office, and they've got the North Carolina Constitution on their side.

The Associated Press: Lawsuit threatened over atheist councilman in NC
Sounds like Iran not America.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,260,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Ummm, I'm not asking if this law pertains to religion. I'm challenging you to explain why a law that pertains to religion is more overshadowing of a region when that region is the South, and a law that pertains to religion (next you'll be telling me that the law against adultery isn't related to religion) is less overshadowing of a region when that region is New England. Can you tell me why?
You claim to be objective and have no agenda with regards to defending the South but this response clearly contradicts that. You are dodging the point raised by justcause. You are arguing a different point to avoid acknowledging the obvious. The point isn't that a strange law exists for this particular state. The point is that you have individuals who are exploiting this law to their gain. Yes, New England might have ridiculous laws but how many cities in New England are trying to enforce those strange laws? Please provide a recent example of New England of exploiting an archaic law in the last year? I think you are intelligent enough to recognize that New England isn't doing this. You are just engaging in your usual agenda of serving as Johnny Cochran for your defendant "The South"

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-16-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,444,835 times
What bone heads voted "Yes"?

Why not move to Iran weirdos!

Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,558,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What bone heads voted "Yes"?

Why not move to Iran weirdos!
They are Anti American. Funny how they are proclaim to be Christian but then have no problem judging against others.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,096,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And where is this incident located......North Carolina aka THE SOUTH aka base of operations for the American Taliban (Evangelicals)

but

We shouldn't stereotype the South. This is just another "coincidence". Remember, the same people who hate political correctness want us to apply it to the South.
When you refer to a group of Christian folks as the "taliban" you expose yourself as having less education than you claim to have...

That being said, nobody should be "barred" from public office based on religious affiliation

Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,103,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and it is too bad, most people in the south were be appalled at the action of the city counsil..there will always be those that need their head examimed.

Now, I don't think I would want the chruch secratery to be an atheist..
Hehe...I know of many church employees who are not "true believers". A job is a job.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:13 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,650,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why does it overshadow the rational and open-minded people who live in the South? It's just an outdated law. How does it reflect on the region as a whole? There are numerous outdated laws on the books in every state. If adultery is still illegal in New Hampshire, does that overshadow the more rational and open-minded residents of New Hampshire? If it was legal to beat your wife in New Jersey until the 1980's, did that overshadow the state's more progressive and equality-minded residents? Why is it that laws on the books in the South cast bigger shadows than laws on the books in the North?
North Carolina is a democracy. The laws in North Carolina represent the values and beliefs of the people who live there. If it was important enough the people in North Carolina will change the law. Or if not someone will sue and the supreme court will do it for them, and everyone will of course be upset because states' rights are violated. In a democracy people get the leaders and laws they deserve, everything else is just blame shifting.

Last edited by jdm2008; 12-17-2009 at 04:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies