Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I hate Kwanzaa. And I hate the idea of Kwanzaa especially this time of year. Since when do Black Americans need a fabricated Faux Christmas type holiday?

Living in Los Angeles is pretty difficult for a Black person who hates Kwanzaa to avoid the topic. I am routinely accosted by well-meaning, PC White people wishing me a “Happy Kwanzaa” as I shop in the local Whole Foods or the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market or sending me Happy Kwanzaa e-cards.

First of all, I’m a Christian. A Catholic actually. We have enough pomp and circumstance going on without adding a phony “cultural celebration” into the mix.
Secondly, I don’t know a single Black person who actually celebrates Kwanzaa. NO ONE. Just who is actually buying all of those ridiculous Kwanzaa cards anyway?

Africans don’t celebrate Kwanzaa, most have probably never even heard of the holiday

]Kwanzaa was created in 1966 by Dr. Maulana “Ron” Karenga, who was black militant and convicted felon. He was also convicted of torturing two black women (over a two day period) by stripping them naked, beating them with electrical cords, placing a hot iron into the mouth of one and mangling the toe of the other in a vise. During the ordeal, he forced them to drink detergent. Not really someone that I want to be a culture influencer.

Who is actually supporting this holiday because I know no Black person who does?

No offense, but you sound kind of foolish and throwing a hissy fit over nothing. It's not some religious holiday either. Kwanzaa is basically a holiday to acknowledge, celebrate, and learn about our African heritage for 7 days.

Anyway, I'm AA and atheist and don't celebrate Kwanzaa either. In fact I don't know not one black person who celebrate it. Maybe the Afrocentric types celebrate it. If there are any holidays to dislike, it's Thanksgiving and Christopher Columbus day.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-18-2009 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
I'm apathetic. The only real difference between Kwanzaa and the rest of them is that it is younger and lacks myths. Give it a few thousand years and you'll have future right-wingers proclaiming a war on their beloved Kwanzaa traditions.

Quote:
This isn't a religious forum so I have no desire to debate religion. So i'll play your game and consider them all "cultural" celebrations. What do Christmas, Hannukkah, and Ramadan have in common? They celebrate the "culture" of religions made up by a diverse range of people. Kwanzaa? A celebration of the culture of ONE race of people. And as has already been said, Kwanzaa is not a part of black culture but artificial.
indeed, Hanukkah celebrations are a paragon of diversity.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Interesting how the people who hate holidays other than Christmas almost always identify themselves as Christians. Their attitude seems to be, "It's my way or the highway! You're going to celebrate Christmas, damnit, whether you like it or not!"

Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
(There always has to be one explicit claim like this per thread. So I'll add it)

Kwanza is clearly a conspiracy to make the white race extinct.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:17 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
1. That wouldnt mean it loses 'power' that means its not being used accurately.

2. Again, if you are calling something that is racist, then you are using it correctly. Ala the pretext for this thread.
No it means it loses power, people will no longer pay any attention when someone is called racist. It used to be a serious charge but folks who use it in every circumstance cheapen its meaning. As it has been used in this thread. Now people just shrug when it is thrown out there because it is used way to often because people think they are using it correctly but they are simply race baiters.

Last edited by shorebaby; 12-18-2009 at 05:16 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 04:41 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
It too bad Dr. who ever wants us to believes that the Christmas experience of African Americans is so different from that of the the rest of the country. There were Christians in Africa long before there were any in America anyway.
There was a special celebration around Christmas that African Americas celebrated during the colonial period, too bad Kwanzaa guy didn't want to use actual history, lest he would of received no credit for his invention of a fake holiday

Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
So Christmas isn't a made up holiday ?!? Hmmmm ! Well I'll be darned. Who knew there was any scientific solid proven evidence as to the existence of God /Jesus let alone the "natural" spontaneous existence of our festive season.... I guess no man ever dreamt up this one ?

And still Atheist like myself can let other human beings enjoy their delusion and even enjoy the festive season... Tolerance anyone, anyone ? Double standards anyone, anyone ? So only certain made up holidays are OK I gather. Is there a criteria for validity ? A scale of worthiness ?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
The funny thing is that all of the people passionately defending Kwanzaa in this thread are most likely the predictable band of white liberals. Here you have an actual black person telling them that the invented holiday is foolish, but that doesn't fit their PC image of everyone having and cherishing their own special day. It doesn't fit their dogma, so they ignore legitimate criticism, even when they are told how ridiculous it is by the very people they're supposed to be sensitive to the concerns of.

Oh, and comparing "Kwanzaa" to Christmas, Ramadan, and Hannukah is laughably silly. Whether you believe in God or not, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are major world religions with international recognition and legitimacy. "Kwanzaa" was invented by a filthy lying Marxist.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times
To the poster who called me an obscene name in reputation....please learn to spell....it starts with a C...not a K.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Sorry, I don't play PC over dumb things..... so, MERRY CHRISTMAS
You're right, it is dumb. It's dumb to get upset about how someone wishes someone else well during the holiday season. I say merry christmas or happy holidays, doesn't matter which one I use, people get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies