Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,300,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
They aren't going to self destruct. Historically, the Democratic party has always been inclusive of a wide variety of people---conservative, middle of the road, and liberal Democrats all under one wing---and thus so have more disagreements in the ranks. While they have been getting more and more inclusive over the last 20 years, the Republicans have been getting more and more to the point now where they are pushing people out of the party who don't tow the conservative line. In the end, it will be the Republicans that will self destruct.
A tiny rainbow appeared over my laptop as I read this post.
Just sayin.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,491,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My goodness. Liberal Utopic Idiocy is out in full force today! I doubt you will have that same opinion in November 2010. In fact, if you're paying close attention, you're seeing the Democratic Party unravel right before your eyes.
What are you basing this on, because the poll I saw yesterday showed Democrats leading Republicans in the favorable category. (Though they also were viewed unfavorably by a few percentage points more than Republicans.)

Old 12-17-2009, 03:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,030,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What are you basing this on, because the poll I saw yesterday showed Democrats leading Republicans in the favorable category. (Though they also were viewed unfavorably by a few percentage points more than Republicans.)
It's the totality of circumstances that are leading me to this conclusion:

1) Intraparty warfare over healthcare reform
2) Disenfranchisement over Obama's Afgan war decision
3) Obama's approval rating dropping like a bullet
4) Gitmo By The Lake (Thomson, IL)
5) Unresolved Promises to the Gay Community
6) Budget Deficits
7) National Debt (skyrocketing)
8) Unemployment/Economy
9) Cap and Trade
10) Climategate
11) New York Terror trials
12) Appeasement as Foreign Policy
13) Nobel Peace Prize

The list goes on and on. But before you balk at this list, keep this in perspective: Neither Democrats nor Republicans can get elected without the help of Independents. Polls are consistently showing that Independents are trending right again in light of the above issues. Democrats certainly retain favorability amongst their base, but the fact of the matter is that Democrats don't have the numbers nor the energy to get out the vote in 2010, and with Independents headed for the exit door, the Democratic agenda is unraveling right before our eyes.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:38 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,264,109 times
Quote:
My goodness. Liberal Utopic Idiocy is out in full force today! I doubt you will have that same opinion in November 2010. In fact, if you're paying close attention, you're seeing the Democratic Party unravel right before your eyes.
I disagree. The Republican party will split into with Palin taking the neo-con Evangelicals to the American Conservative Party and what is left of the Republicans will have to scramble to replace the money that Evangelicals are good at raising.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM

22,103 posts, read 19,312,195 times
Quote:
It's the totality of circumstances that are leading me to this conclusion:

1) Intraparty warfare over healthcare reform
2) Disenfranchisement over Obama's Afgan war decision
3) Obama's approval rating dropping like a bullet
4) Gitmo By The Lake (Thomson, IL)
5) Unresolved Promises to the Gay Community
6) Budget Deficits
7) National Debt (skyrocketing)
8) Unemployment/Economy
9) Cap and Trade
10) Climategate
11) New York Terror trials
12) Appeasement as Foreign Policy
13) Nobel Peace Prize

The list goes on and on. But before you balk at this list, keep this in perspective: Neither Democrats nor Republicans can get elected without the help of Independents. Polls are consistently showing that Independents are trending right again in light of the above issues. Democrats certainly retain favorability amongst their base, but the fact of the matter is that Democrats don't have the numbers nor the energy to get out the vote in 2010, and with Independents headed for the exit door, the Democratic agenda is unraveling right before our eyes.

1. Again its just a few members and actually mostly based on one individual who refuses to vote for cloture who isn't a Democrat anyway

2. Not as much as you might think

3. Right around 50%

4. Closing down Gitmo was a good idea

5. Still being worked on

6 & 7 As a result of steps that needed to be taken to fix the disaster left by Bush

8. Still a problem, but well down from the 600-700k a month job loss Bush left office with, The job market under Regan btw didn't improve till 1983

9. Something needed because the polluters can't be trusted to make cutbacks voluntarily

10 Blown way out of proportion by the right

11. Bringing charges is a good thing

12. Admitting to mistakes and looking to work with the international community isn't appeasement

13 won't have any impact

As far as the Independents go, they don't like the GOP, in fact when you look at things such as party ratings the Dems rank higher. When you look at ratings on approval of Congress, people don't like either side but the GOP ranks lower than the Dems.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,241,736 times
I would love to see 4 parties out of this.

Teabaggers

Evangelicals

Communists

Blue Dogs

I like those names better too.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,024,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I would love to see 4 parties out of this.

Teabaggers

Evangelicals

Communists

Blue Dogs

I like those names better too.
hhmmmmm... I think I'd be a blue dog if these were my only choices.

We've been watching the republican party unravel for the last year or more. I don't think the dems are anywhere close to that right now.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,121,249 times
Hey guys. Don't feed the trolls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies