Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe the gay and lesbian organizations should do some charity work too - but if they leave it up to the Christians, they'll keep running into this.
I would love to donate $$ to charity causes, but i am too busy donating to causes to preserve my civil rights in this country (Prop 8 as an example). I would love to donate more to american cancer society, SPCA, etc. I shouldn;t have to make that decision in this country that is supposedly based on freedom. If the religious bigots would let us have our rights in this country, you would see a tremendous outpouring of charity work from the gay and lesbian community- i guarantee it.

If you want to give to starvation army, go ahead and do so. just don't expect ppl like me to support that org too.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I did not know this until recently, but the Salvation Army is an evangelical organization.
After reading some of their position statements I will not be donating to them in the future.
I don't think that the Salvation Army tries to fool anybody into thinking that they are not a bunch of Bible-thumping extremists. Personally, even though I do not necessarily agree with all of their tenants, I do support them because they help a lot of people. And they have good thrift shops. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 AM

300 posts, read 429,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Plus I don't approve of them making people hear a Christian sermon before receiving their meal or a roof over their head.
While you may "not approve" - those who are hungry really don't give a hoot.

My advice to you would be, don't go to the SA for a meal, or to seek shelter - inasmuch as YOU "do not approve"

Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Regardless of their position statements, the SA is one charity that I've supported for decades. They do GOOD things with the money we send them. I write them a check each year and drop a 5-spot in the kettle almost every time I pass one.
Good for you.
I'm not a big fan of organized religion, but the fact is the Salvation Army does a LOT of good work - especially for those that need it the most.

Ken

Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
When the Salvation Army crews set up their mobile operations at or near tornadoes, floods, and the like, they don't ask about peoples political beliefs or sexual orientation. They are there to help. And they provide it.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 AM

513 posts, read 541,405 times
Wow - I think this topic exposed the true "haters" on this board!

If getting a sermon bothers one so much - don't take SA's help. Simple.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I would love to donate $$ to charity causes, but i am too busy donating to causes to preserve my civil rights in this country (Prop 8 as an example). I would love to donate more to american cancer society, SPCA, etc. I shouldn;t have to make that decision in this country that is supposedly based on freedom. If the religious bigots would let us have our rights in this country, you would see a tremendous outpouring of charity work from the gay and lesbian community- i guarantee it.
So your charitable giving is all self-serving. Completely and totally self-focused.

Somehow that just doesn't seem like charity to me.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

If you want to give to starvation army, go ahead and do so. just don't expect ppl like me to support that org too.
Isn't it sad we have to even contribute to organizations just to preserve or have the same civil rights as our fellow citizens?

I try to give more money to causes that feed the hungry, try to help people in Africa because I think I just might be helping the person that can eventually obtain full equality under the law.

Nothing against the local GLBT group but I think in the grand scheme of things, feeding starving people comes before me getting a tax break for marrying my girlfriend and things of that nature.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
I am absolutely appalled at some of the posts here... as a poster commented, it reveals the true haters. For people to WHINE because they "have" to listen to a sermon before they receive their handout....really? That just makes me sick to my stomach. Everything...and I mean everything has a price. Did it ever occur to some of the posters that when they provide that sermon before a meal, that there ARE some people who need to get a message of hope and acceptance? It's a matter of providing food for the body and food for the soul....for those who need it. How dare you assume that some of the folks who hear that sermon don't need and/or want it. It's pretty clear just how selfish some of the posters here are.

You're saying, "I want something from you, but I don't want to be inconvenienced in any way...I don't CARE how you feel." The people giving out that free meal feel compelled, with every fiber of their beings, to share the hope and love of Jesus Christ with those in need. They have a NEED....and it's to share the "word". How very selfish to not consider their needs...after all, they are providing for YOUR needs! Again.....boy does this post reveal the truly selfish people out there. Merry Christmas....not Merry X-mas....to you all. To those of you whose hearts are in the right place....God bless you greatly!!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
Wow - I think this topic exposed the true "haters" on this board!

If getting a sermon bothers one so much - don't take SA's help. Simple.

Oh please.
You're a hater if you don't give charitably at all. I just prefer to give to more secular organizations such as Feeding America that don't require families or individuals hear a religious sermon before serving them.

I consider myself lucky to not require the Salvation's Army's help which is why I give to Feeding America. I try to think of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies