U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 AM

627 posts, read 1,929,057 times

Advertisements

I did not know this until recently, but the Salvation Army is an evangelical organization.
After reading some of their position statements I will not be donating to them in the future.

[quote]HOMOSEXUALITY
The Salvation Army holds a positive view of human sexuality. Where a man and a woman love each other, sexual intimacy is understood as a gift of God to be enjoyed within the context of heterosexual marriage. However, in the Christian view, sexual intimacy is not essential to a healthy, full, and rich life. Apart from marriage, the scriptural standard is celibacy.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-23-2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: please only post a snippet
Rate this post positively

Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 AM

61,305 posts, read 79,754,076 times
another militant attack on a good organizaton.
militants dont care about christmas or peaceful coexistence with others, they have declared war on our community. this issue has nothing to do with sexual orientation. it has to do with respect for others.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:19 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,789,308 times
Not sure why you posted this in the Other Topics forum but I'll be sure and double up on my donation to the Salvation Army this year.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,784,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Not sure why you posted this in the Other Topics forum but I'll be sure and double up on my donation to the Salvation Army this year.
Me, too!

Not that I necessarily agree much with its teachings on these subjects, but the Salvation Army is still one of the few non-corrupt charities out there, doing the best they can through the holiday spirit, and I damn sure support them.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:10 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,789,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Me, too!

Not that I necessarily agree much with its teachings on these subjects, but the Salvation Army is still one of the few non-corrupt charities out there, doing the best they can through the holiday spirit, and I damn sure support them.
I don't necessarily agree with them either but I think the Salvation Army does a lot of good and I will continue to support them. Plus, doubling up on my donation this year is my way of saying "in your face, busta" to the OP.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 PM

3,877 posts, read 7,527,706 times
And what is wrong with those Position Statements?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,784,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
And what is wrong with those Position Statements?
Nothing, really. In fact, I admire their stance, because they make their beliefs known, but still set aside those differences to help those in need. That, is true charity.

Sounds pretty "humane" to me.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 PM

28,718 posts, read 42,672,701 times
Please, do double up donations this year to any charity you give to. Their demand is up and the donations are down.

I am a very non-religious person and disagree strongly with some of the silliness that comes from religious organizations, but that is simply not a valid reason to drop support for their charities.

I think I'll go check my PO box this afternoon and put some more money in the SA kettle outside the store just to irritate the OP.

A side note: We have someone in our city that drops Krugerrands in the kettles every year. No one knows who it is, but this year that's one whale of a donation!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 35,911,986 times
I am also one who really doesn't believe the Salvation Army is that good of a place to go for religion; but it sure is a damn fine place to go when help is needed. No matter what the circumstance in this area one of the first to lend help to ANYBODY is the Salvation Army. I don't have to convert to their beliefs to help them give to others in my own community that need it. I just have to go drop something in the little bucket, which I will do for sure this year. I'll put in an extra $5 bill for you d-random (which I am sure is about $5 more than you have EVER dropped in anyway).

Why you are at it, look around your home and gather up those coats, jackets, and winter wear you haven't had on, and donate them to coats for kids or the equivalent in your area. Drop off a small toy in the "Toys for Tot's" bin while you are at it also. A couple extra dollars is all it takes to make a kids Christmas one to remember, and not just another day to live through and forget as soon as they can. Then don't just do it these few weeks around the Holidays, but every month, all year. Price of a coffee and a donut once a week or once a month, we can all do that much.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,679,982 times
Thanks for posting this OP......I TOO will be making sure to continue supporting this organization. Were you really hoping to sway someone to your position? I don't see anything wrong with their mission statement. I feel as if they're saying...."Although we don't agree with all of your life choices, we still love you and are here for you." I'm sorry, but how can you get more loving that that?

Would it be better if they said, "We don't agree with your life choices, so we're turning our back on you....you're on your own you sinners!" What a silly post.....IMHO....but I still love you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.