Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:43 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
A heart attack now costs over 40,000 dollars. On a 80-20 health policy that would make your part 8,000 dollars. Can you write that check?

If you can't what do you do.

Do you take a second mortgage on your house?
Do you steel from your children's education fund?
Do you put it on a credit card at 30% interest?
Do you borrow on your 401K and work till your 80?

Greatest health care system in the world?
Can you write that check?
That isn't how my insurance works. I have a high deductible HSA. If I needed to pay for a heart attack, I would have to use money from my HSA account which I contribute to every month to pay the 1500 dollar deductible, and then my insurance would pick up the rest at 100% to 100,000. After that its 90/10 and I have over 10 grand in my HSA.

Even if I had to cut a check in the scenario you listed, I have enough in savings to do so, and even more in my retirement account if I needed it.

I have been planning for that situation for some time now and have a decent nest egg to take care of myself. So yes I could pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Luckily I don't have a 80-20 but if I did I would arrange a manageable payment schedule like I have many, many years ago when I had a 80-20.

Pretty simple stuff really.

It's pretty hard for many people to manage even a payment schedule when they can't work due to a newly acquired disability and they've already downsized all their assets trying to pay off and reduce their bills. The single biggest reason people file for bankruptcy is because of a major medical event. This is especially true for young people with small children who haven't had enough time yet to build up a nest egg or retirement fund to draw from.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 AM

43 posts, read 76,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That is a highly dubious claim, unless of course you consider every developed industrial society, east or west as being 3rd world.
Whether you personally write a check, or if you take the "easy" road and pay 60% in taxes, you are still paying for it. Just because the government picks up the bill doesn't make it free. That seems to get missed in the debate.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:26 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Before you come up with ideas you should do some research.
Profit margins for major health care providors,
Humana 3.13%
Aetna 3.87%
Cigna 4.10%
United Health 4.20%

Not alot of cash left over after doing buisness. Just another reason why listening to the MSM will make you look stupid at times.
The amount of cash left over is still BILLIONS. 4% of hundreds of billions that the insurance industry made in revenue is still BILLIONS in profit.

UnitedHealthGroup by itself made 3 Billion in profit in 2009 alone (that's just 1 year of moneygrubbing for 1 corporation).

Old 12-19-2009, 09:36 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
The amount of cash left over is still BILLIONS. 4% of hundreds of billions that the insurance industry made in revenue is still BILLIONS in profit.

UnitedHealthGroup by itself made 3 Billion in profit in 2009 alone (that's just 1 year of moneygrubbing for 1 corporation).

It is obvious you know nothing about running a successful buisness. You might have a future in politics.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
It is obvious you know nothing about running a successful buisness.
You mean squeezing as much extra money from your clients as you can, as long as you can get away with it? Yes I do know that makes a successful business, regardless of what it does to people.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
A heart attack now costs over 40,000 dollars. On a 80-20 health policy that would make your part 8,000 dollars. Can you write that check?

If you can't what do you do.

Do you take a second mortgage on your house?
Do you steel from your children's education fund?
Do you put it on a credit card at 30% interest?
Do you borrow on your 401K and work till your 80?

Greatest health care system in the world?
Can you write that check?
All of the above. Let's say you have open heart surgery in 2004, when you're 59 and have very good health insurance. You get the whole nine yards, helocopter ride to the hospital, quintuple bypass, die on the table and they bring you back and then have 4 other major cardiac surgeries for the next two years. You sell the house you raised your family in. You loot the 401 K your contributed to for 20 some years and you keep working right up to the present when you should have retired after open heart to enjoy the rest of your time on the planet. You end up in a 1500 Sq.foot doublewide taking handfulls of medications that cost 400 a month in co-pays. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Appears that no longer matters. Dear Leader has us by the fingernails with the coming rise in taxes to pay for this monstrosity. Can lemmings bend over?

In other words, stay well comrades, stay well....

Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
All of the above. Let's say you have open heart surgery in 2004, when you're 59 and have very good health insurance. You get the whole nine yards, helocopter ride to the hospital, quintuple bypass, die on the table and they bring you back and then have 4 other major cardiac surgeries for the next two years. You sell the house you raised your family in. You loot the 401 K your contributed to for 20 some years and you keep working right up to the present when you should have retired after open heart to enjoy the rest of your time on the planet. You end up in a 1500 Sq.foot doublewide taking handfulls of medications that cost 400 a month in co-pays. Don't ask me how I know.
I hear you. In the disability support forums, where I've spent a lot of time, there are tons of real-life stories like this.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
i die like im suposed to . you cant live forever no matter how much you can afford
No personal attack to you, sir, but this attitude is the problem I have with the whole heath care system and people who are opposed to health care reform in America. It seems there is a faction who consider health care a profit making commodity. Life is precious and is the only gift God gives you when you are born. Mankind should treat it as the gift it is. I can assure you that the grim reaper will have to drag me kicking and screaming all the way to the pearly gates. I would gladly trade every earthly posession for one more sunrise. When one gets older, you realise that every sunrise is a blessing.

Last edited by mohawkx; 12-19-2009 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: sp check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies