Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

I thnik taht women who get pregenant can no longer service so should be discharged. They alos need to set a satndard times to get benefits. One more agrument why women should not serve if they can't do the job as required. men have been separated for just being overweight;no difference IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
The policy applies to soldiers deployed in Iraq. If they get pregnant over there it's no different than WWI soldiers shooting themselves in the hand to get off the front line.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
A salute to the general !!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Mind if I explain the mentality behind this policy? Some females change their mind about serving and find this an easy out. Land a hubby, deliberately get pregnant. I'm glad he's saying what he's saying. Females in service need to see their responsibility clearly, and follow through. Fraternization rules are simply being reinforced.
Guess they should say no sex either because thats what they are basically saying. Use all the protection you want you can still get pregnant

Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Makes it easy for officers to get rid of women they don't want...rape them , then when they get pregnant , kick them out ....it's a win-win for the man....lots of sex and no repercussions ...

Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
He isn't make sex a crime. He's making pregnancy a crime. On my second ship, we had women who decided they hated life on a ship and used pregnancy as a legal means to get off the ship. Thanks Bill and Hillary. I really enjoyed standing watch 6 hours on and 6 hours off in the engine room while putting in a full work day because we were short handed due to a woman who didn't want to do the job she volunteered for. I hope they convict those women in military court cause they won't get any sympathy from this former Navy sailor. Their pregnancy is no better than running away to Canada.
Roger that. Like the Navy says: that family was not issued to you in your seabag. Too bad, so sad.

When I was stationed in the South Pacific, the women who decided they didn't like a little nothing island out in the middle of the Indian Ocean called Diego Garcia were getting knocked up left and right, because they knew they'd be shipped to another, but bigger island out in the middle of the South Pacific, Guam, because Diego couldn't handle their medical (prenatal, delivery etc). They even would SAY that was their plan. Naval Hospital Guam was already overloaded as it was. Lots of women got shipped stateside. It was ridiculous and caused a whole lot of tension: watchstanders were left shorthanded and others had to pick up the slack, men got miffed because their "shore billets" were being taken up by women who could not go to sea while they were pregnant, women such as myself who didn't play that game were judged harshly by men because they were used to women playing the system, etc.

This sort of behavior snowballs and affects more than just the pregnant woman and THAT'S why you can't be getting pregnant while YOURE IN COMBAT.

I agree with this whole heartedly. It's the military and you give up that right to live every aspect of your life as you choose and instead do what is in the best interest of Uncle Sam because that's what you signed up for. You don't like it, don't join.

Last edited by cobolt; 12-22-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Guess they should say no sex either because thats what they are basically saying. Use all the protection you want you can still get pregnant
Condoms are more reliable than pills. Sleeping with shipmates... that's not the job either. Eyes in the boat sailor. Nobody needs that drama in cramped quarters. Very unprofessional, and I carried that rule over into civilian life. Spared me incredible grief. No regrets.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Mind if I explain the mentality behind this policy? Some females change their mind about serving and find this an easy out. Land a hubby, deliberately get pregnant. I'm glad he's saying what he's saying. Females in service need to see their responsibility clearly, and follow through. Fraternization rules are simply being reinforced.
Pregnancy is OPTIONAL. Soldiers should definitely have to make the CHOICE between being pregnant or being a soldier. Pregnancy impacts the ability of our armed forces to complete their mission if these pregnant women decide they want to "get out" of the army. Then what? We just send the enemy a note...."Sorry we can't fight you today, because we have too many pregnant soldiers". I think not.

If you want to breed, you can do it as a civilian. Simple as that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2009, 08:07 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The policy applies to soldiers deployed in Iraq. If they get pregnant over there it's no different than WWI soldiers shooting themselves in the hand to get off the front line.
Except that in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, The Gulf War, etc..., we never prosecuted females for becoming pregnant. Of course many of them became pregnant, but it was never a "crime."

This is just a symptom of a much larger problem in our society whereby most people make ZERO sacrifices in this war and yet we continue to pile more and more on the backs of our soldiers. In this case, we are telling our soldiers that they should be ready to lay down their lives to defend our freedom, but if they happen to conceive a child they will be duly prosecuted. WTF?!

The right to bear children and parent is one of the most fundamental rights in our society according to several Supreme Court rulings, and yet here we are taking that away from the very citizens that defend us. Pathetic.

Here's an idea... let's reinstate the draft and stop sending the same troops on 6, 7, 8, even 9 deployments. Sometimes up to 18 months at a time. It's not like these kids are serving one tour or even two... Telling a young woman or young man in their 20's that if they want to have a career in the military, they can't have a child for up to 10 years is just beyond stupid. Make everyone serve and pay a price in this war. Reinstate the draft. Then all you hawks posting on this board can sign up and find your butts in a firefight sometime soon.

And by the way, I'm a combat vet. I fought in Iraq and I still think this is a stupid law.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Roger that. Like the Navy says: that family was not issued to you in your seabag. Too bad, so sad.

When I was stationed in the South Pacific, the women who decided they didn't like a little nothing island out in the middle of the Indian Ocean called Diego Garcia were getting knocked up left and right, because they knew they'd be shipped to another, but bigger island out in the middle of the South Pacific, Guam, because Diego couldn't handle their medical (prenatal, delivery etc). They even would SAY that was their plan. Naval Hospital Guam was already overloaded as it was. Lots of women got shipped stateside. It was ridiculous and caused a whole lot of tension: watchstanders were left shorthanded and others had to pick up the slack, men got miffed because their "shore billets" were being taken up by women who could not go to sea while they were pregnant, women such as myself who didn't play that game were judged harshly by men because they were used to women playing the system, etc.

This sort of behavior snowballs and affects more than just the pregnant woman and THAT'S why you can't be getting pregnant while YOURE IN COMBAT.

I agree with this whole heartedly. It's the military and you give up that right to live every aspect of your life as you choose and instead do what is in the best interest of Uncle Sam because that's what you signed up for. You don't like it, don't join.
I hear you. Especially for deployments because those are even more critical. When you get a billet stateside at a desk or recruiting or whatever, that's the right time to plan. It's not that military females should be forbidden marriage and children, but planning so it's least disruptive to the mission isn't optional. I knew some who used class c school time to upgrade their quals coinciding with pregnancy. They find a way.

The military isn't meant for all females anymore than all males and should never be thought of as such. Speaking for myself, I don't believe I would have done a very good job in marines or infantry because it didn't suit my abilities. The coast guard suited my abilities exceptionally well.

I hear times have changed and they've decided to be a little more family friendly. Even that policy shouldn't be interfering with the mission at hand, whatever it might be today. Years ago it meant a kinder gentler ombudsman for wives got elected. hahahahaaa

I'll say about texdav's comments- all armed services have come to the realization that they literally cannot do without female contingent. Troops have been stretched threadbare these past few years. We apparently do that good of a job keeping the wheels greased, natural born team players as well. Overweight, drugs, DWI, criminal behavior will get anyone tossed out no matter gender. Standards to advance being unmet in timely way will also offer you the boot. Career military is a much harder hoop to jump through nowadays, with far less bennies, higher requirements for full pensions, and health care coverage at VA that's a political football every election. Let's make sure we treat our people right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies