Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You don't seem to know about or worry about the amount of money doctors have to add to their charges and the number of tests they have to throw in to cover their butts to allow them to pay their malpractice insurance payments or the way lawyers can profit so much from suits against doctors that didn't do all the possible tests.

Could there be any lessening in expense if these things were addressed? Yep, but not by the Dems.
Most states have enacted tort reform; 38 IIRC. I know my state has. Why haven't costs been reduced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
You don't know that there are up to 10 million in this country that opt for lifestyle instead of health insurance? I guess you don't know how many single people there are in the 19 to 30 age group that do this little trick without this law.
That 19 to 30 age group also has more auto accidents. What do you propose? Let them bleed to death?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe some people don't wish to pay for military, police, education or roadways either, yet everyone needs them? Ohhh...that deprivation of liberty....
You are talking about things that people have always paid for when they paid taxes. How long have we been paying for health insurance with tax money, other than Medicare and Medicaid (which grows by about 30 million with this bill)? Some of us are fortunate in that we get to pay about $140 in taxes taken from our SS check each month without the bill. What will happen when it gets passed?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Who said it is free? HC is not free today and it won't be free tomorrow.

I have said I am happy with the measures on the bill since they are measures both parties have agreed upon. Now that the big stuff has been removed, the wingnuts are scrambling for other reasons to oppose it, and they offer 'companies would drop coverage for everyone', but they can't support their claims. Why do you guys still oppose it, since it will give you what you have asked for?
Can you tell me how this bill is anything beyond the establishment of the infrastructure for catapulting us to single payer? Once it is started we will never return to anything close to the utopia you seem to think we are headed for. Establishment of I N F R A S T R U T U R E. The beginning of the end of anything that resembles freedom to determine your own life direction. If you can explain that, please do.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Please. I'll stick with the CBO over a four paragraph study done by an internet forum member.
Well hell yes a 2700 page bill can't be discussed properly with just four paragraphs especially since Dirty Harry hasn't release the final writing. He has four days before voting time and will surely make a number of changes between then and now, I think.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
So you believe you'd be locked up in max-security prison for non-payment? Why not, you also believed that Obama was going to send you to a concentration camp just for being a Republican
Spin and twist, Finn. Now that you have done your thing go back and read the words in that post. I said surely they wouldn't put a tax cheat in a maximum security prison which is the opposite of what you spun. I still am not convinced that after this bill they won't go after many people on the right and I qualify in too many ways. I hope they have cable in those concentration camps that some say are already built and waiting the cattle cars.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Most states have enacted tort reform; 38 IIRC. I know my state has. Why haven't costs been reduced?
It must have something to do with those horrible insurance companies and their desire to not go broke from paying lawyers of those who sue doctors. You do understand capitalism, don't you?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
That 19 to 30 age group also has more auto accidents. What do you propose? Let them bleed to death?
If they couldn't buy all those sports cars from having to buy health insurance they wouldn't have so many accidents.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:39 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
We're talking about companies dropping it for all their empoyees.
Quote:
Table 3
EFFECTS ON INSURANCE COVERAGE
(Millions of nonelderly people, by calendar year)

Employer
2010- *
2011- 2
2012- 2
2013- 2
2014- 3
2015- 1
2016 -4
2017 -4
2018 -5
2019 -5
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/107xx/doc...r_11_18_09.pdf

Notice that as the bill is enacted in 2014 the participation in Employer plans decreases. Like I said you never looked over the bill. Of course you may consider 5 million people an insignificant number of employees who would no longer be with employer plans.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
You don't know that there are up to 10 million in this country that opt for lifestyle instead of health insurance? I guess you don't know how many single people there are in the 19 to 30 age group that do this little trick without this law.
Yes, and you and I have to pay for them.

Correction: me, not you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies